• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Canberra is lucky to have the benefit of being a rugby town though, which is why after NSW and QLD we produce the next amount of top quality players...

But, I agree... WA need to put in a better effort into their local catchments... no excuses...

T

TOCC

Canberra is lucky to have the benefit of being a rugby town though, which is why after NSW and QLD we produce the next amount of top quality players...

But, I agree... WA need to put in a better effort into their local catchments... no excuses...

I believe looking at the playing numbers though, WA has as many rugby players now as ACT did 10 years ago..
And 10 years ago the ACT was still producing countless Wallabies..

Sure they have competition from AFL, but not everyone is suited to the AFL..

M

Moono75

Well lets be honest, if that is the reality of the situtation and isnt going to change in the next 10 or so years.. then the inception of the Force has been a failure
The Force were created because they wanted to expand the Super rugby competition and Western Australia was viewed as having a strong supporter base. Whilst growing the game is part of the reason for the Force inception it was more so to increase the attractiveness of the Super comp and enhance revenue from TV contracts. It is also a responsiblity of the ARU to ensure the game is grown around the country.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I believe looking at the playing numbers though, WA has as many rugby players now as ACT did 10 years ago..
And 10 years ago the ACT was still producing countless Wallabies..

Sure they have competition from AFL, but not everyone is suited to the AFL..

And correspondingly we are starting to see the results at national underage level. The WA team is producing its best results ever and also the number of players making it to the junior rep teams is also increasing. It will take time, but at least things at the grass roots are heading in the right direction.

Does the ACT have any Aussie Rules competition to speak of? Nothing as big as the WAFL and related amateur leagues I'll bet. Aussie Rules still dominates in terms of player numbers and proportion of the market.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have said in the western force thread before i think that there are some very good players in the local comp here in Perth who just haven’t be given the chance to step up and i think its because of the perception that the comp is not up to it. That perception i help but almost all eastern states people and the eastern states offices here in Perth EG RG.

Players like Brent Murphy Cruze Ahnau Will Brock Chance Bunce and ollie hoskins jake ball coming through Kyle Godwin has been given alittle bit of a go.

Until they are given that chance it wont happen.

The current system is also not built to help develop local players with 30 contracted players and 5 eps which almost have to be ready made players when injury hits. What coach is really going to take a punt on a couple of young guys and give them a contract or even an esp and be stuck with them if it doesnt work.

Local players then have to head east to try and prove they can handle the big time. Brent Murphy went to Randwick (i think it way randwicK) and by all accounts went very well there but still was unable to crack in the team with the force choosing players like Wykes and Barty why not give him shot now he is 25 and i fear his ship has sailed.

Cruze ah-nau is a very good young player who needed a couple of more years to develop but they cut him loose last year for someone ready now Manu Salesi. Now Cruze is trying to prove them wrong in the shield.

We are trying to develop local players but with so much pressure on coaches and players now one has the balls to give them any real go!

T

TOCC

And correspondingly we are starting to see the results at national underage level. The WA team is producing its best results ever and also the number of players making it to the junior rep teams is also increasing. It will take time, but at least things at the grass roots are heading in the right direction.

Does the ACT have any Aussie Rules competition to speak of? Nothing as big as the WAFL and related amateur leagues I'll bet. Aussie Rules still dominates in terms of player numbers and proportion of the market.

My response was to Moon who seems to think that its perfectly acceptable that the Force continue to piggyback on the development of players in other states. I don't think that's what the Force should be aiming for, the plan should be to breaking par in homegrown player development within the next 5-10 years.

The ACT doesn't have Aussie Rules, but they do have Rugby League which is just as much a threat.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have said in the western force thread before i think that there are some very good players in the local comp here in Perth who just haven’t be given the chance to step up and i think its because of the perception that the comp is not up to it. That perception i help but almost all eastern states people and the eastern states offices here in Perth EG RG.

Players like Brent Murphy Cruze Ahnau Will Brock Chance Bunce and ollie hoskins jake ball coming through Kyle Godwin has been given alittle bit of a go.

Until they are given that chance it wont happen.

The current system is also not built to help develop local players with 30 contracted players and 5 eps which almost have to be ready made players when injury hits. What coach is really going to take a punt on a couple of young guys and give them a contract or even an esp and be stuck with them if it doesnt work.

Local players then have to head east to try and prove they can handle the big time. Brent Murphy went to Randwick (i think it way randwicK) and by all accounts went very well there but still was unable to crack in the team with the force choosing players like Wykes and Barty why not give him shot now he is 25 and i fear his ship has sailed.

Cruze ah-nau is a very good young player who needed a couple of more years to develop but they cut him loose last year for someone ready now Manu Salesi. Now Cruze is trying to prove them wrong in the shield.

We are trying to develop local players but with so much pressure on coaches and players now one has the balls to give them any real go!

There is now 600.000 reason why that money cant go into Western Rugby Development.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Take Genia's $600k and split it 20 ways. Get these guys playing the other A sides in OZ/NZ + Tonga/Samoa/Fiji.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Take Genia's $600k and split it 20 ways. Get these guys playing the other A sides in OZ/NZ + Tonga/Samoa/Fiji.
They all have been in the A systems and then they go and slap local players in face Murphy played every A game this year that was in perth and the last A game was against the Rebals in melb. Instead of flying him and his mate over they got a few QLD young guns in the play. Now thats a slap in the face to the locals. and who is the force a coach you ask
Andrew Scotney QLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
Monday, 30 April 2012

The Emirates Western Force is continuing to work proactively to further strengthen the club’s playing roster next season while also retaining the best of the current squad.

RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid restated there were several high profile players currently in negotiations to play in Perth next season and despite Will Genia’s decision to remain in Queensland, having earlier agreed to move to WA, it wouldn’t affect the club’s focus of bringing the best talent available to the Emirates Western Force.

Mr Reid also reaffirmed the confidential nature in which the Genia negotiations were carried out and that the news of his possible move was not a by-product of the Emirates Western Force.

“It needs to be made very clear that the Emirates Western Force did not ‘leak’ information in regards to discussions with Will Genia, nor did we claim at any stage that he had agreed to come to Perth,” Mr Reid said.

“What we did do was put our best offer forward to Will’s management and were advised last Thursday evening that the offer was accepted. We moved things forward, all the while paying respect to the recruiting protocols that are in place for all franchises by keeping that information confidential.

“We were as surprised as anyone by the Queensland Rugby Union’s statement on Saturday evening farewelling Will and naming the Emirates Western Force as the club he had agreed to move to.

“While we respect that Will has changed his mind, and had the right to do so, we are obviously disappointed following a verbal agreement a few days earlier and the promise of the paperwork to be signed and returned over the weekend following his arrival back from New Zealand.

“Our focus has been, and will continue to be, the recruitment of high quality personnel to the Emirates Western Force for next season, we’re very confident that we will achieve that in the weeks and months ahead.

“In regards to David Pocock, his situation hasn’t changed to that of last week where he has simply asked to be allowed to concentrate on helping the team in his capacity as Captain and will look to progress contractual matters down the track. It is a situation we’re comfortable with and have no reason to question David’s commitment and passion for the club now or into the future.”

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I agree with these comments to a point Kiap, I do feel for Force because if they spend on developing players only, they will lose an awful lot of players while they are losing in S15, it reallt is a catch 22 situation, if you don't spend money on name players to get a few wins, you lose support and young players, if you spend on good players,you struggle to have money to develop the young players that get interested in rugby because of your success.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My response was to Moon who seems to think that its perfectly acceptable that the Force continue to piggyback on the development of players in other states. I don't think that's what the Force should be aiming for, the plan should be to breaking par in homegrown player development within the next 5-10 years.

The ACT doesn't have Aussie Rules, but they do have Rugby League which is just as much a threat.

No way it will be on a par in 5 years, maybe 10 at a stretch, any more than it would be in Victoria with the Rebels. Think about it in the other direction: if the AFL said to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and GWS that they had to do the same to be competitive in the AFL they would be laughed at. Development takes time, as I said before. There are important measures and checkpoints that should be monitored as time goes on and an end goal in mind. To say that the Force should have a majority or significant minority of local players in 5-10 years is pure fantasy IMHO, but there should be a target nonetheless.

WA has four football codes and three of them with top line professional teams. Every last one of them gets their players from all over the country and some internationally too. Why should rugby be any different than Aussie Rules or soccer? It's an open player market and you do what you can to make your team better. Whether we like it or not, you have to try and build some level of success or at least competitiveness to encourage others to strive to play in the local first class team. That means interstate players for now. But it also means putting money and effort into developing juniors. RugbyWA could be doing more I am sure, but it's not like they are doing nothing.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I'm just chuffed that rugby made the lead in the sports news today with a feel good story of a decision made with the heart. I'm crying but I'm so happy. Well, maybe thats an exaggeration. But there were no dogs, public intoxication, laptops being stolen or drinking in the street.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He was behind the RG saga and ill garantee he has something to do with this! Dead set Belter! And prob all while on Fox Sports clock.

And I heard he was also the one breaking into the players lockers at the start of the year, but managed to frame Willie Ripia and get away scot free...

Of all the people to blame for the recent recruitment debacles, I'd suggest Tim Horan is a fair way down the list.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tim Horan is just looking out for QLD Rugby, and if that the case he has Done a Fine job keeping WG and at this stage QC (Quade Cooper) at the REDS.... Look on the Bight side Shapre is wanting to play on for another year.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
And I heard he was also the one breaking into the players lockers at the start of the year, but managed to frame Willie Ripia and get away scot free...

Of all the people to blame for the recent recruitment debacles, I'd suggest Tim Horan is a fair way down the list.

I blame the rugby alpaca....

Status
Not open for further replies.