• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

Breaking news from the West. Pocock signing with the Brumbies.
cant be official.......it would have to be announced by the Reds media department first......they are the No1 news breaker in Australia. Reuters, AAP, Fairfax have announced they are getting out of the media game and leaving it to the pros at QRU media.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I actually all both parties are better off in the long run here.

The Force do not need to be splashing the cash around on a 9, no matter how good they are. Their issue stem from the lack of a quality 10 and 12. Genia would not have changed much for the Force in 2013 if he was still passing it to a Stannard-Stanley 10-12 combo.

And the Reds need to cling on to as many of their 2011 heroes as possible.

Red slug

Stan Wickham (3)
70% agree Cyclo, but, with hindsight it's perhaps the Reds/QRU that have handled the matter the most skilfully in that they have bagged the Genia re-signing with no more $s offered and thus at a $ evel they believe is economically responsible.

The Force seem to be behaving in an almost desperate manner and yet again failing into the trap of wanting to build once more from a platform of 'glamour star' signings which actually has never really worked for them to date.

The only real 'turnarounds' that have worked well for Aus S14/15 teams in recent years have been on the White/McKenzie model. Namely, start with a hands on, excellent coach, rebuild the culture and team with a core group that first and first foremost are willing to work hard and learn and genuinely act as team players (and beware of 'stars' unless they comply), and aim for game-to-game improvements and gradual increases in execution quality. Design game plans to suit the playing group, etc, etc. The Link 2010-11 model and the (so far) successful White 2012 model have remarkable similarities IMO. The selection of the coach is absolutely crucial to all of this and it's quite possible that the right coach to get the Force successful may in fact not want the Genias and Coopers, but may want to do build upwards from less high-profile playing stock.
With you RedsHappy! The head needs to know who, how, where, when, why and send the message to the team and get the team to work together on the plan, rather than a lot of stars trying to attrack the other stars into doing what they want as individuals.
When there are keen players ready to respond to leader and work together towards an end goal for the season or 3 year plan growth happens, bonds are created and the plan is successful.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
cant be official.......it would have to be announced by the Reds media department first......they are the No1 news breaker in Australia. Reuters, AAP, Fairfax have announced they are getting out of the media game and leaving it to the pros at QRU media.

Need to get your facts straight matey.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

The Force do not need to be splashing the cash around on a 9, no matter how good they are. Their issue stem from the lack of a quality 10 and 12. Genia would not have changed much for the Force in 2013 if he was still passing it to a Stannard-Stanley 10-12 combo.

I think that with genia there to 10/12 would have been easyer to fill as they would have someone they new would give them good ball.

Im still wondering as to how leaked to story as Genia in he PC said he told the reds on fri night he was off and then Timmy "news Breaker" Horan brings it all to light on sat night and then all this!

Red slug

Stan Wickham (3)
Blessings to have Will on the team for the next 3 years (depending on the ARU contractual situation). Looked great this week against the Blues passion was back yelling and marshaling was obvious around the park

M

Moono75

In the long rung I don't really care other than the fact that the whole story is a complete shamozzle. As a fan it would have been nice to have Genia with the Force.....but he was never here in the first place....so you can't miss what you never had. I'm sure there will be some big signings down the track for the Force.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Blessings to have Will on the team for the next 3 years (depending on the ARU contractual situation). Looked great this week against the Blues passion was back yelling and marshaling was obvious around the park

I think he combines really well with Lucas. Lucas also has the wide passing game that Genia seems to thrive on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Completely agree with this statement. The Force should be spending all there cash on a 10/12.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The Force bashing in this thread is unnecessary. They are just a team trying to do what they are supposed to do, win Rugby games. If that means signing better players, then that's what they need to do. This mentality that if a player was born in your state, you own him for life is crap. A few chips on shoulders being well and truly displayed.

Anyway, it probably all worked out for the best. The most valuable thing he was bringing to the Force was credibility, but we don't need a $600K half back. The best thing that can happen is in the next 2 weeks a top line coach is announced and on the back of that a good 10 and 12 are signed.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I don't think anybody is saying about where a player is born, owned etc Charger, just that the Force should be developing rather than trying to buy a title. I have no problem with them scouting out young talent & putting them through their systems & developing a champion side from all over. They were on the right track with Poey & JOC (James O'Connor) etc.....I just don't like this bidding war for established stars. It's ugly & unbecoming of Rugby's status imo.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Its a bit of a shame for the Force that they targeted Genia because I think Ben Lucas would have been a better option for them and his contract was just up for renewal.

If I was running the Force and had $600K sitting in the kitty, frankly I would be targetting Jake White based on developments so far this season.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The Force bashing in this thread is unnecessary. They are just a team trying to do what they are supposed to do, win Rugby games. If that means signing better players, then that's what they need to do. This mentality that if a player was born in your state, you own him for life is crap. A few chips on shoulders being well and truly displayed.

Anyway, it probably all worked out for the best. The most valuable thing he was bringing to the Force was credibility, but we don't need a $600K half back. The best thing that can happen is in the next 2 weeks a top line coach is announced and on the back of that a good 10 and 12 are signed.

It is a tough thing for the Force, when Moody got sacked after Barnes left, the Reds started their membership drive before they had a coach, I had a go at them saying they could not expect us to shell out another season. Link starting their really lifted my spirits. Force need to get a coach that lifts the organization like Link did here and no doubt like Jake did in the ACT.

M

Moono75

I don't think anybody is saying about where a player is born, owned etc Charger, just that the Force should be developing rather than trying to buy a title. I have no problem with them scouting out young talent & putting them through their systems & developing a champion side from all over. They were on the right track with Poey & JOC (James O'Connor) etc.....I just don't like this bidding war for established stars. It's ugly & unbecoming of Rugby's status imo.
The WA rugby competition is never going to provide enought talent to sustain the Force. We may be lucky that every now and then a quality player comes through the local comp and makes it at the next level. The Force will continue to target promising emerging talent and give them a start but this has to be done on the back of having some key topline star players. As far as a bidding war goes well in order to get players to the West you need to pay. Thats the reality of the situation over here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The WA rugby competition is never going to provide enought talent to sustain the Force. We may be lucky that every now and then a quality player comes through the local comp and makes it at the next level. The Force will continue to target promising emerging talent and give them a start but this has to be done on the back of having some key topline star players. As far as a bidding war goes well in order to get players to the West you need to pay. Thats the reality of the situation over here.

Or in the case of some players, promise that pay and not deliver....

T

TOCC

Well lets be honest, if that is the reality of the situtation and isnt going to change in the next 10 or so years.. then the inception of the Force has been a failure

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Frankly, I struggle to see why the Force have it so much more difficult with 'poor local player catchment so we must have stars' than does the ACT RU, with an even smaller 'local' population and much less affluent local sponsorship and fan base than is accessible in Perth.

Yet the Brums seem to be reviving entirely and well with a player base built from non-stars that have not needed to be stars to attract and encourage a range of other reasonable players, and, in this same vein, look at the risks JW has taken with picking and developing Mogg, and promoting Mowen to Captain, etc. In fact, the hard truth is that with a far better, top-notch coach and notably less stars (Elsom, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gits, all bye-bye) the Brums are flourishing as they have not for many a year. Is this all a random coincidence with zero relevance to the Force, I don't think so.

My sense is that Rugby WA is perpetually stuck in the ' simply must have stars to attract more stars' myth and that the Force needs a radically new team construction model and coaching philosophy or history will be destined to repeat itself year after year.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Well lets be honest, if that is the reality of the situtation and isnt going to change in the next 10 or so years.. then the inception of the Force has been a failure

I mentioned it earlier, maybe the Force should make arrangements for Brisbane or Sydney Premier Clubs to become their "feeder" system like they do in Loig.

Status
Not open for further replies.