• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
From the Daily Telegraph

On the playing front, it is understood the Force are looking to secure a world-class halves duo by partnering Genia with Peter Grant. It would third time lucky if the Force recruit the South African goal-kicking ace, after approaching him to replace Matt Giteau in 2009, and then again in 2010. Queensland Reds CEO Jim Carmichael says he is "bemused" at how the Western Force can afford Genia's asking price and fears the halfback may become caught in the same financial trap as Matt Giteau. Carmichael also blasted the way Force officials leaked the signing news before Genia had a chance to address his teammates about a move west which is now up in the air. "I'm concerned that Will has been used as a commodity," Carmichael said.

It would seem that, considering recent seasons, that the Force management really need to take some negotiating lessons if the above paragraph is true. They make the same mistakes over & over.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
Press conference at 11 to confirm Genia is stayig at the Reds.

A bizarre weekend... Perhaps Pococks bemused response was one of disappointment that the rumour had been leaked before he had actually signed?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For real - hopefully:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-queensland-reds/story-fn8t7efs-1226342352160

CHAMPION halfback Will Genia has agreed to re-sign with the Queensland Reds after an urgent round of talks brokered a new two-year deal.
The news will come as both a relief and a soaring endorsement that Queensland rugby can keep its stars after is was announced last Saturday night Genia would accept a rich offer from the Western Force to join them in 2013.
The Queensland Rugby Union released a statement on Saturday night that Genia was gone and the playmaker himself had indicated he would not be staying in Queensland.
Perth sources went wild with chatter about Genia's imminent arrival.
Re-opened negotiations with the QRU have proved fruitful and the six-season Reds halfback can now focus on the run-in to the Super 15 finals which starts with the crunch clash with the Crusaders in Christchurch on Sunday.

Genia will front a media conference at Ballymore this morning to annouince his decision

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
On a separate note, I heard that it was the Force, not the Reds, that leaked that RG was leaving that forced the issue to be dealt with in a huge hurry and before the players had been properly informed etc.

Looks like the Force leaks may have backfired a bit more spectacularly this time?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Fox Sports crew and QRU will both be looking a bit stupid if he stays at the Reds. How can you announce that something is effectively a 'done deal' when it is actually far from it?

I understand that there might have been leaks, but to make an announcement based on hearsay is a bit unprofessional?

Horan, McArdle and Cannon were basically reporting it as fact. Cannon was telling Force fans arriving at the stadium that "Pocock had signed and Genia was on his way" when neither of those things has happened.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought it was odd that Will had not said anything. I'm feeling a little better but I'll wait until 11:00 before I celebrate.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the QRU called his bluff. He must have stated he would only sign for a certain figure that the Force were offering, they said have fun in the west, he decides that playing for the Reds is what he wants and signs today. It's the complete opposite position the Reds took with Berrick and it shows the different mindset at Ballymore these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.