• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie - Life after the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Link is the obvious choice, he has the runs on the board and is the best available Australian coach despite being from Randwick.

It will be cheap politics if someone else is given the job once Deans is finished.

I would also be amazed if Deans is given another contract

White? meh, just the wrong message to send to Australian rugby to suggest that we can not produce a coach good enough to coach the wobs for near ten years.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Enjoy those. No more 457's. We'll have to develop them ourselves now. Can anyone on the board sing? :)
Not for long,checked the polls lately?
Everything that has that woman's fingerprints on it, will be on the bonfire by xmas.
You can be confident that a heap more 457's than refugees will be arriving on these shores next year.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Phar Lap, Rusty Crowe, Keith Urban, Crowded House ... all great Aussies.

Our history is full of demonstrations where we have proven how non-Xenophobic we can be, especially if the reformed former NZer is any good.

I'd even barrack for Dame Kiri Te Kawana if she turned out in a Southern Cross emblazened frock with a wattle sprig at the Opera in the Domain.

I take offense at Kiwi's claiming Crowded House. It was a band formed in Melbourne by two Australians (Paul Hester and Nick Seymour) and one Kiwi (Neil Finn).

That's an Australian band no matter which way you look at it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Link is the obvious choice, he has the runs on the board and is the best available Australian coach despite being from Randwick.

It will be cheap politics if someone else is given the job once Deans is finished.

I would also be amazed if Deans is given another contract

White? meh, just the wrong message to send to Australian rugby to suggest that we can not produce a coach good enough to coach the wobs for near ten years.
Forget messages, just pick the best candidate.
If that's White then pick him.
If it Link then pick him.
The longer Deans hangs on, the more the gloss comes off Link IMO.
They won the comp in 2011, they may have been the highest ranked Oz team on 2012, but they were not convincing.
I have grave reservations about how they will finish this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Forget messages, just pick the best candidate.
If that's White then pick him.
If it Link then pick him.
The longer Deans hangs on, the more the gloss comes off Link IMO.
They won the comp in 2011, they may have been the highest ranked Oz team on 2012, but they were not convincing.
I have grave reservations about how they will finish this year.

I am a firm believer generally in merit selections in most things, but 10 years of the Wallabies coach being a kiwi or a bok, nah sorry, it sends the wrong message.

Like a aus player needs to know if he performs in aus he can be a wob, the coaches need the same opportunity.

Without that pathway we will lose too many coaches who think that they have to leave to be appreciated.

And I think Link is the best candidate, he is smart and prudent

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I take offense at Kiwi's claiming Crowded House. It was a band formed in Melbourne by two Australians (Paul Hester and Nick Seymour) and one Kiwi (Neil Finn).

That's an Australian band no matter which way you look at it.
I agree, well off topic, but if Neil Finn wasn't in band, how much success would they have???:p
But on topic, the most success soccer in Aus has was with foreign coach, rugby could be same, just need the right coach!!! As for building up hatred etc before going on field, always remember Richie McCaw sayiong he told Henry not to try firing up ABs before tests as it tended to help them lose focus on exactly what they were meant to be doing, and it seemed to work there. I like the look of Link or White as coach for Wallabies, think ARU will have to take Link, because if there are not great results in next couple of years they will cop it again for having foreign coach, where if Link coach, well everyone may possibly look at players????

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Just to play devils advocate, with the Northern Hemisphere contract widow fast approaching, lets say for arguments sake, Ireland do snap up Link because the ARU is waiting until after the Lions series or (insert your own reason here), before they even start the interview process, never mind appoint someone.

Jake's not considered by many above, so who's next in line? Does Deans go round again?

Foley - Hill - Cheika?

D

daz

The timing and manner of Link's announcement is odd.

If it is designed to force the ARU into a situation where they feel compelled to act, the reality is that Dean's isn't going anywhere until at least the end of the Lions, but IMHO, more likely not until end 2013.

So on that rationale, it appears that Link's announcement will have very little effect at the ARU right now. They can't make any secret deals with him to guarantee the Wallabies job; not without compromising due process.

On the other hand, given that the NH teams are now off-season, this is the time they will be looking for coaches. Is this a public statement from Link that he is now "open for offers" so to speak? Does he want the ARU to get into a bidding war with other countries?

He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that plays these kind of mind games. If he wants an international gig, all he has to do is get his manager to make a few discreet enquiries to test the water.

Either way, I am not sure what Link hopes to achieve from making this big public announcement so early in the year.

My cynical view is that Link knows that he can't dine out on the single Reds championship for too long and that this year he may have a situation where his stocks may in fact drop a bit if the Reds fall short, as well as suddenly find himself in competition with Jake White (who has a far stronger pedigree), hence the strike first policy.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jake's not considered by many above, so who's next in line? Does Deans go round again?

Foley - Hill - Cheika?

Out of the 3 you would pick Cheika, Foley has failed with a squad of half the Wallabies already at Super level. you couldn't possibly give him control of the Wallabies.

Hill no where near ready to coach a national set up.

Cheika, proven in Europe but needs to prove he can compete with the NZ and SA with the Tahs before you can say he is ready for the Wallabies.

D

daz

Oh, one other personal thought: I could not give a red rats rancid rectum who coaches the Wallabies. Australian, Kiwi, Canadian, Hungarian, who cares?

As long as they are the best qualified person for the job and the best fit, I'll be happy.

Think about this: If we win a RWC with a South African in charge, will anyone care? No, we will be celebrating a RWC win and conferring Oz citizenship on the bloke who coached us there.

D

daz

I swear to you this promise in blood - If Deans gets re-signed, I will be following Link to fucking Ireland.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's going to get all Game of Thrones in Australian rugby if Deans doesn't go at the end of the year.........

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Phar Lap, Rusty Crowe, Keith Urban, Crowded House ... all great Aussies.

Our history is full of demonstrations where we have proven how non-Xenophobic we can be, especially if the reformed former NZer is any good.

I'd even barrack for Dame Kiri Te Kawana if she turned out in a Southern Cross emblazened frock with a wattle sprig at the Opera in the Domain.

How would you feel about her if she had a Southern Cross tattoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.