• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie - Life after the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He will probably know at the end of June what chance he has of getting the Wobs job. If half the rumours about how the ARU feel about Link are true Foley has a better chance.
Did either of them go to School at Shore?
Seems to be a prerequisite for any high profile gig there.(and a Mosman address,as has been noted above)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Neither White nor Link would take any but the following int'l jobs (in order from least to most attractive)
Wales/Ireland
England
Wallabies
South Africa
NZ

Wales is ruled out. England is probably locked away on the back of the all blacks win. NZ is locked away.

that leaves Ireland, possibly Aus and South Africa.

I could see turnover at South Africa also happening, but the only position that is real is Ireland. If link isn't taking that gig, then he's potentially setting himself up with 2 years out of coaching (this year and next) in which case he will lose relevance quickly considering his last success will have been in 2011.

My money is he will start at the lower end of the top tier and go to Ireland. he'll do a four year sting there and return when either White or Deans are finished their 1st or 2nd term.
white's ultimate goal is to get to coach the boks again. and he wants to get there by coaching the wallabies over the boks so SARU come crawling back after how they treated him post RWC 2007.
he'll do 1 term at the wallabies post deans (who i personally think will be let go regardless of the lions result).

White to the wallabies for 2013 - 2017
Link to Ireland for 2013 - 2017
Deans - not sure. possibly brumbies?? ha.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And how accurate has Grumbles been in the past with his gossip column, rumour, innuendo, unnamed and codenamed "high placed" officials?

Not very if I recall, but I can still hope!

I think Grumbles is actually about the most accurate of Australia's rugby journos in terms of his rumour/gossip.

He was definitely the first to suggest that Pocock was going to head to the Brumbies which was dismissed by most as horseshit for a long time.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
His articles are purely a collection of rumours, some of which prove to be correct, most not.
Accuracy would be low,based on the pure volume of rumours he floats on an annual basis.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I can't see a non Australian being the Wallabies coach after Deans. One of his biggest downfalls is his inability to understand the Australian psyche.
As for the Ireland job I think it is a case of Growden pushing his story about Link not being wanted by the ARU.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Jake Whites obviously a great coach but I think it has to go to an Australian. If Mckenzie doesnt get the wallaby job he'll pick up something in europe. I imagine Ireland, France and Scotland might all have a chat to him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't see a non Australian being the Wallabies coach after Deans. One of his biggest downfalls is his inability to understand the Australian psyche.
As for the Ireland job I think it is a case of Growden pushing his story about Link not being wanted by the ARU.

I don't think you could accuse Jake White of the same thing..........

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Whats the ARUs beef with link?
firstly, I love the tie between Link and beef, although he is looking trimmer these days

there was a report recently that some ARU official(s) claimed Link should never be wallaby coach because he was a forward, and therefore has no idea about getting the backs to fire like an Australian coach should.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ireland would do well to have him.

They're in a fairly similar spot to the Reds when he took over. They've got a bunch of journeymen and a bunch of very promising recently capped youngsters who could use a guiding hand.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
firstly, I love the tie between Link and beef, although he is looking trimmer these days

there was a report recently that some ARU official(s) claimed Link should never be wallaby coach because he was a forward, and therefore has no idea about getting the backs to fire like an Australian coach should.

I think that there was more than a report - I think it was a leaked email? Can't back that up but.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think you could accuse Jake White of the same thing....
That may well be the case but it's the perception in the greater community that's the issue. It's not a case of doing the right thing, it's a case of being seen to do the right thing.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ireland is the best job on offer, he couldn't fail after the season they just had. No previous relationship with the provinces means he can do it his way

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That may well be the case but it's the perception in the greater community that's the issue. It's not a case of doing the right thing, it's a case of being seen to do the right thing.

I don't buy that.........

The reason that Deans hasn't been a successful test coach because he doesn't understand the Australian "psych" is in my mind, just ridiculous.........

I'm not even sure how that actually factors into coaching a professional rugby team?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It factors into coaching a National rugby team. While most of us would understand the great benefit of having White coach the Wallabies the average Joe in the street will be more concerned with the perception of a foreigner being in charge. The guys at the ARU have shown themselves to be a conservative bunch and it's unlikely they will install White. Plus as it stands now White hasn't done what Link has achieved at Super level YET. He needs to get the Brumbies to the finals and then progress to the GF in my view for a shot. If he were to win it and the Reds miss out then he would be in the box seat though.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Maybe, just maybe Link is getting ready to take over as ARU HPU boss!

Here's hoping anyway

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It factors into coaching a National rugby team. While most of us would understand the great benefit of having White coach the Wallabies the average Joe in the street will be more concerned with the perception of a foreigner being in charge. The guys at the ARU have shown themselves to be a conservative bunch and it's unlikely they will install White. Plus as it stands now White hasn't done what Link has achieved at Super level YET. He needs to get the Brumbies to the finals and then progress to the GF in my view for a shot. If he were to win it and the Reds miss out then he would be in the box seat though.

We should factor in xenophobia when selecting a coach?

And as it stands Link hasn't achieved what White has at test level YET.

I'm not campaigning for White to take over as national coach, but there is no legitimate reason for him not to be considered.........

Status
Not open for further replies.