• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie - Life after the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I read your post a little too quickly and I almost had a heart attack. My eyes read up to the second favourite bit, then my brain interjected wondering who is the bookies favourite. Cue my eyes then skipping to the end of your post and seeing Dingo and the resultant near heart attack was only averted by then reading your post in it's entirety.

The favourite a few hours ago was a Mr J Schmidt, never heard of him hope he is a decent coach :D

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Schmidt took over as Leinster head coach in 2010

2 Heineken Cup wins and runners up in the Magners League. Also won the French Top 14 with Clermont in 2010 after being runners up in 08 and 09. Think he has not been coaching since Leinster.

Would prefer someone with no ties to any Irish province but Schmidt is a good option.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I'd expect a few Reds players to be on the move after this season. They have a great loyalty to Link but with him leaving they will look for other opportunities. Waratah's would be circling.

How funny would it be if the Tahs lured QC (Quade Cooper) down to Tahland! Geez imagine Querty's bitching then..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Schmidt took over as Leinster head coach in 2010

2 Heineken Cup wins and runners up in the Magners League. Also won the French Top 14 with Clermont in 2010 after being runners up in 08 and 09. Think he has not been coaching since Leinster.

Would prefer someone with no ties to any Irish province but Schmidt is a good option.

Josef Schmidt sounds like a good option.

He combines the rugby nous of a Kiwi with the discipline and efficiency of a German.

How could you go wrong?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Is that being a tad naive?

Really? Why? Do you think Link is full of shit when he told reporters that they love a good conspiracy theory, when asked if he was going to Ireland? Or his reasoning as to why he has come out & said it now?
Look, you lot can speculate until your hearts content, I'll believe what the man himself says until something otherwise comes forth. Why waste time wondering what a Rugby coach is going to do?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
He just needs to walk down the corridor and tell Carmichael, to give them clarity.
Or can he only communicate with his boss via a press conference?

I'm pretty sure he told his boss way before the press conference.... Horwill has said he knew since the beginning of the season.
The press conference was probably put into place to have everything up front for all concerned & to minimise distraction to the team.

And @ Jets, all the important players have already signed on for at least the next two seasons.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It factors into coaching a National rugby team. While most of us would understand the great benefit of having White coach the Wallabies the average Joe in the street will be more concerned with the perception of a foreigner being in charge. The guys at the ARU have shown themselves to be a conservative bunch and it's unlikely they will install White. Plus as it stands now White hasn't done what Link has achieved at Super level YET. He needs to get the Brumbies to the finals and then progress to the GF in my view for a shot. If he were to win it and the Reds miss out then he would be in the box seat though.

How do your comments regarding the average joe and perceptions of a foreign coach line up with the appointment and reappointment of Deans? Seems to be a large disparity to me.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
there are guys who have hated Deans being our coach from the first day he got the job.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

True, but I think there are many more like me who thought his appointment was a masterstroke but who then came to realise after a couple of years that he really is incompetent. He should never have been reappointed and JO'N should forever hang his head in shame. Nationality does not come into it.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am confident that no coach of any team thinks true hatred of the opposition is a useful motivational tool. Anyway, the beauty of rugby is that it couldn't last long: the post match would probably soon prove that richie isn't the c*** we all think he is. We might be able to hate their coach for longer.
If you use hatred as your motivator how do you motivate for the lions?
To be fair to Deans he sings our national anthem before the game he wears our blazer to the game.
QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) might do well under Jake: he could be the strong parent they need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not want to see QC (Quade Cooper) or JO'C anywhere near Jake, whether in the guise of Brumbies' coach or Wallabies' coach.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Out of the 3 you would pick Cheika, Foley has failed with a squad of half the Wallabies already at Super level. you couldn't possibly give him control of the Wallabies.

Hill no where near ready to coach a national set up.

Cheika, proven in Europe but needs to prove he can compete with the NZ and SA with the Tahs before you can say he is ready for the Wallabies.

I can't see any of those three being better than Deans sadly. I would prefer to see Laurie Fisher/Steve Larkham appointed in a partnership, if neither Link nor Jake are in the picture. One thing though, I can see both Link and Jake facing off against each other at international level in coming years whether that involves the Wallabies or not.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How do your comments regarding the average joe and perceptions of a foreign coach line up with the appointment and reappointment of Deans? Seems to be a large disparity to me.
I'm not saying that I agree with it but we wont have a foreign coach after Deans.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Why on earth would he go to the Rebels? The only step up for Link is to coach test match rugby.

well on the basis he doesn't get signed to coach ireland (and a lot on here seem to think he doesnt want to move back over that side) what are his options? he's surely not going to stay out of coaching for 2 years if deans is reappointed. Scotland gig looks locked away, wales is locked away, france is not an option and england - lancaster isn't going anywhere for at least another year.
so if ireland doesnt happen, does link sit on the sideline for 2 years twiddling his thumbs and fast becoming irrelevant? if he does that...it's 2015 and his last success was 2011.

so my speculation is that if he doesn't get ireland, he takes the HPU job or the next best coaching gig that could be around which is a super 15 gig.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Just sitting here thinking, if overseas coach like Deans or White can't coach, because they can't understand the Aussie player pshyce, do you need a Aus coach for Aus players, Kiwi coach for kiwi players (QC (Quade Cooper),Digby, Kepu )SA one to handle Pocock etc, and perhaps one from New Guinea for Genia? Just get best coach, not sure if Link really in picture as Irish coach,I suspect Schmidt would be a better pick for them, though as a kiwi I would be keen on seeing Schmidt (and Vern Cotter) heading back home to NZ to coach!!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just sitting here thinking, if overseas coach like Deans or White can't coach, because they can't understand the Aussie player pshyce

Whoever said that is talking crap, there's foreigners coaching provincial sides with success all over the world. Jake White is coaching Australians at the Brumbies already. The problem is a foreigner trying to instil Australian nationalism/passion into their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.