• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Worldcupnut

When do Moses and Fatprop get their commission cheques? Isn't there something in GAGR rules about promoting businesses? Hmmm.
Notwithstanding the fact that pay tv may do a good job there ought to be more pressure brought to bear on the FTA broadcaster doing a better job to support the code.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I heard Phil Kearns on the radio this morning talking about live sites for the RWC. Does anyone know where these will be? - Another option for those of us without Fox but wanting some live RWC

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ch9 are running their business the best way for them. The real culprit here is the ARU they knew what ch9 are like and sold the rights to them anyway.

Sent using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
When do Moses and Fatprop get their commission cheques? Isn't there something in GAGR rules about promoting businesses? Hmmm.
Notwithstanding the fact that pay tv may do a good job there ought to be more pressure brought to bear on the FTA broadcaster doing a better job to support the code.

:lmao:

Where do you get the concept the Channel 9 cares?

FTA is about selling ads to eyeballs - they don't care about anything else.

I am just a realist, and being a rugby tragic living in Aus, the reality is that rugby is a niche sport in Aus with the general public never going to watch a match like the ABs vs Tonga in enough numbers to justify prime time coverage over demonstrated ratings winners like the NRL or re-runs of Friends.

So it is simple, pay your money and watch a shit load of rugby live all year or take whatever scraps FTA chooses to provide when they provide it and deal.

A

Army_Gav

I heard Phil Kearns on the radio this morning talking about live sites for the RWC. Does anyone know where these will be? - Another option for those of us without Fox but wanting some live RWC
I floated these with the VRU/Rebels last year, similar to the FIFA World Cup at Fed Square in Melbourne.

As you can gather, zero has been done.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It's usually on a slight delay I find which means it doesn't work as well as doing the same for the cricket
If you've got Fox IQ you can pause the TV for a few seconds to sync it up. If the radio is ahead, that sucks a bit more - you can try the web stream and hope it's a bit slower, unforutnately with the excellent MMM coverage I found both the web stream and the radio were ahead of my fox HD channel during the Auckland Bledisloe.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

the website is about a bussiness being Aus Rugby. The fellas do alot of work getting guests, information and access to make this place better, paying respect to the people that allow them to do that is a very small price to pay for it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you've got Fox IQ you can pause the TV for a few seconds to sync it up. If the radio is ahead, that sucks a bit more - you can try the web stream and hope it's a bit slower, unforutnately with the excellent MMM coverage I found both the web stream and the radio were ahead of my fox HD channel during the Auckland Bledisloe.

I was hoping we could listen to you guys talking shit for a couple of hours. I loved the Baa Baas commentary!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
:lmao:

Where do you get the concept the Channel 9 cares?

FTA is about selling ads to eyeballs - they don't care about anything else.

I am just a realist, and being a rugby tragic living in Aus, the reality is that rugby is a niche sport in Aus with the general public never going to watch a match like the ABs vs Tonga in enough numbers to justify prime time coverage over demonstrated ratings winners like the NRL or re-runs of Friends.

So it is simple, pay your money and watch a shit load of rugby live all year or take whatever scraps FTA chooses to provide when they provide it and deal.

I absolutely understand C9’s programming for the Friday night as they will be thinking that quite a few of the league crowd will hang around for the blacks/tonga match. I might even do the same myself.

The thing is they aren’t showing high quality RWC matches that they could even when there is no clash with the league (e.g. 6.30pm this Sunday for SA V Wales). In fact this game won’t be on C9 at all, anytime, and there are plenty others like it. I have actually been very happy with the C9 coverage of the Wallabies so far. It just seems to me that with a little more thought they could get a lot more value out of their modest fee for rugby broadcasting rights at the expense of only cancelling some old reruns on their digital stations.

I would love to have foxtel, but my wife knows what it would mean for our home life.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would love to have foxtel, but my wife knows what it would mean for our home life.

Foxtel has been fine for my relationship. I just have to sit through episodes of The Bill, Midsomer Murders, Silent Witness, Wire in the Blood, and Doctor Who.

I only consider suicide occasionally.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

I think the MMM coverage will be synced to Foxtel from now on for all there games. Well, they are now for their Monday league game call, so I can't see why they wouldn't be for their other calls as well.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Foxtel has been fine for my relationship. I just have to sit through episodes of The Bill, Midsomer Murders, Silent Witness, Wire in the Blood, and Doctor Who.

I only consider suicide occasionally.

Which Doctor Who? UK TV recent eps? Or SciFi, which just started showing the Tom Baker years? I've been joyfully inflicting Tom Baker Doctor Who eps upon my gf. Consider it a guilty pleasure.

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree Moses about the MMM coverage. Impressed by Dan Ginnane and his calling have to say on of the better calls I have heard on radio. Has a bit of the Daryl Eastlake in him and can go from quiet to 'screaming his tits off' in blink of an eye

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
Foxtel on the xbox is a pretty good deal if you have a decent download limit (or no limit). There are no contracts, so you can cut it off once the world cup is done. That's what I'm doing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Which Doctor Who? UK TV recent eps? Or SciFi, which just started showing the Tom Baker years? I've been joyfully inflicting Tom Baker Doctor Who eps upon my gf. Consider it a guilty pleasure.

My girlfriend loves the Tom Baker Dr Who and I just want to kill Sarah Jane

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Foxtel on the xbox is a pretty good deal if you have a decent download limit (or no limit). There are no contracts, so you can cut it off once the world cup is done. That's what I'm doing.

Just looking into that now. Seems pretty good, anyone know what the quality is like?

Status
Not open for further replies.