• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

terrific news, now lets hope it receives the ratings to justify it occurring again

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
but how many members, as sully asked, are in the army?

Depends on how you look at it, we don't have a fixed membership structure. Do you count the 4800-odd Facebook fans, the full bay at home games, the dedicated bunch who travel?

Having a structured membership is on our to-do list, but we need to do it in conjunction with the Rebels and AAMI Park to make it work properly.

W

Wooden Horse

'Channel 9 2011 rugby world cup coverage'…PATHETIC!

'Channel 9 2011 rugby world cup coverage'…PATHETIC!

NOTE, enraged RWC followers & interested others…SURE, vent your anger at Ch9 BUT it's all to Ch9's DEAF EARS & A WASTE OF TIME if you don't also ensure that you NOTE DOWN ALL THEIR ADVERTISERS and LET THEM KNOW AS WELL!

Also include the incompetent Australian Rugby Union...promoters (!!) of the game who always & continue to let this rubbish happen!!

This was Ch9's opportunity to regain your long lost sports credentials!

Ch9 promised 'comprehensive RWC coverage & all games live'!! And what about Ch9's GO! and Gem....more of the same old tired crap TV!! ....& listen to the usual TV speak program scheduling/audience justification crap, their PR depts kid themselves is acceptable to the public.

'Still The One, Wide World of Sport, The Home of Sport' ?!!.....try 'Dreaming We’re the One', 'Wide Berth of Sport', 'The Hospice of Sport'.

I'm off to ALL YOUR ADVERTISERS about this pathetic effort!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the ARU had any rights to the IRB Rugby World Cup coverage and thus the ability to sell them then maybe mentioning the ARU would be relevant.

If Channel 9 showed all the games in prime time, I'm sure the resulting ratings would drive most of their advertisers away.

W

Wooden Horse

Ya missed the point...& greater coverage in Oz RWC was successful....same games!

If the ARU had any rights to the IRB Rugby World Cup coverage and thus the ability to sell them then maybe mentioning the ARU would be relevant.

If Channel 9 showed all the games in prime time, I'm sure the resulting ratings would drive most of their advertisers away.

Good game coverage worked for the Oz RWC & got good ratings hightened interest in RU....whats' changed? Your comments are more TV land talk & justification.....who would want & is asking for 'all the games in prime time'...very few, if anyone...& you've simply missed the point & raised the other adsurd extreme to Ch9's current adsurd extreme...i.e. their few games in the small AM hours.

Again, good game coverage worked for the Oz RWC, got good ratings & hightened interest in RU......& for this RWC, this would successfully be the Opening ceremony and all games where BOTH TEAMS are from high seeded Nth & Sth hemisphere nations. Either live, & where not possible short 1/2-1hr delay....all other games covered in a 1hr highlights package, later in teh evening. Not this small AM hours rubbish.

You raise what the ARU can't do...not the issue. In their RESPONSIBILITY to promote the game what has ARU done to address this issue. As usual, nothing!...or at best a very ineffective little! Just as for their post profit making Oz RWC......what did they DO to promote the game ....more importantly, what did they achieve -> plummeting sports public interest! They need professional administrators in the ARU, like NZ, not the previous, continuing & current boys club.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Huh? How is the ARU meant to promote something they have no rights to?

Are you suggesting the ARU should set up an illegal stream on their website. I'm sure that would be great for Australian Rugby.

I think comparing a RWC that is hosted in Australia compared to one hosted overseas is apples and oranges. Of course there was a lot more excitement from the general public regarding the RWC on Australian soil.

I think every rugby fan would like to see more games shown on Channel 9. Most of us can understand the reasons why there aren't. The IRB's interest is to make money from the TV rights. Channel 9's interest is to get the best ratings from the material they have which seemingly means they aren't interested in showing many/any non-Aussie pool games.

The ARU's interest is irrelevant because they have nothing to sell. The ARU's one and only concern with the RWC is that the Wallabies do as well as possible because that is the only thing they have any control over which will help boost the interest in rugby union in Australia.

Think before you whinge.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Having a structured membership is on our to-do list, but we need to do it in conjunction with the Rebels and AAMI Park to make it work properly.

as long as it's not like the crap i have to go through with the BWB to get a melbourne victory active membership

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
Seems like 9 doesn't have much faith in its own judgement on this preferring re-runs of Friends & Scooby Doo over an opening game of the 2011RWC. Me thinks the ARU have been well and truly screwed on this one as well as the viewing audience. Not happy Jan!!!!!!!

From the SMH this morning:

"FOR most Australians, the Rugby World Cup will start late tomorrow night - three hours and 45 minutes tardy to be precise - because the Nine Network prefers to show a repeat of Friends on one channel and Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders on another.

The first game of the year's biggest sporting tournament - featuring the All Blacks, the favourites, against the fast-and-courageous minnows Tonga - kicks off at 6.30pm Sydney time after an opening ceremony in Auckland.

At that time, Nine's main channel will show A Current Affair, then The Big Bang Theory, then in Sydney will turn to live coverage of the rugby league finals match between Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra Dragons at 7.30pm.
Advertisement: Story continues below

But even with two other channels on which to show the rugby union live, Nine will not, and those without pay TV will have to seek it out at the pub or with friends of their own.

It made a commercial decision to delay the match until 9.45pm in Sydney and Brisbane, immediately after the league finishes, and until 1.40am on Saturday in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - after the conclusion of Two and a Half Men, The Mentalist, two episodes of CSI and the rugby league.

That is despite it now being allowed to show preliminary Rugby World Cup games on either of its two digital channels, if they don't involve the Wallabies.

As part of the yet-to-be finalised changes to the anti-siphoning rules governing sport on television, the communications minister, Stephen Conroy, declared an interim arrangement late last year.

It requires the Rugby World Cup finals and any Australian game to be shown on the broadcaster's main channel, in this case on Nine. But unlike the old rules, it allows all other games to be shown on its digital channels, Go! and Gem.

Yet while Fox Sports will be broadcasting live from Auckland at 6.30pm on Friday, Gem will be showing the penultimate episode of the tenth series of Friends, which ceased production in 2004, while Go! will be airing the 11-year-old animated tale of ''intergalatic intrigue'' featuring Scooby-Doo.

While advertising rates are much higher on the main channels than on digital ones, Nine decided to ''give it a big audience on the primary channel at 9.45pm, rather than a small audience on a digital channel live''."

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am amazed that there are people who would think the Channel 9 would act any differently, they have form for doing this stuff

They will prioritise the NRL, it rates better and is a prime product, year in year out, and they do the same with cricket, tennis and any other sport they choose to buy.

The New Zealand time difference also means the games don't start in prime time and they then go through their key daily timeslots that actually drive viewing on the station

They were never going to kick off the news, current affair etc and if they delay coverage they can also slot ads in without missing the game, that extends viewing time and maximises ad return

Just go to the dark side and buy foxtel if you don't want to wait

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
ABC grandstand will be covering the Wallabies vs Italy. Prefer to view rather than listen but turning the TV down and the Radio up may provide better commentary.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's usually on a slight delay I find which means it doesn't work as well as doing the same for the cricket

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am amazed that there are people who would think the Channel 9 would act any differently, they have form for doing this stuff

They will prioritise the NRL, it rates better and is a prime product, year in year out, and they do the same with cricket, tennis and any other sport they choose to buy.

The New Zealand time difference also means the games don't start in prime time and they then go through their key daily timeslots that actually drive viewing on the station

They were never going to kick off the news, current affair etc and if they delay coverage they can also slot ads in without missing the game, that extends viewing time and maximises ad return

Just go to the dark side and buy foxtel if you don't want to wait
except now C9 has additional stations (e.g. Go) that don't show news or prime time shows but instead show reruns adnauseum.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
except now C9 has additional stations (e.g. Go) that don't show news or prime time shows but instead show reruns adnauseum.

Nine may well be correct in stating that they will get a bigger audience and better ad money with a delayed telecast on their main channel than a live on Gem or Go. Kinda of makes sense, actually.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The average punter will be more interested in Wests Tigers vs St George or Geelong vs Hawthorn than the opening game of the RWC.

Most of those who want to see the rugby live will either have Foxtel already or go somewhere that does.

I must shamefully admit that I'm going to ANZ Stadium tomorrow night to watch my beloved Tigers. I'll definitely be watching the ABs and Tonga when I get home though.

Status
Not open for further replies.