• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Canes v Reds at the Cake Tin - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I posted yesterday that the Reds stood no chance with all 4 Match Officials being Kiwis. I duly put $5 on the Canes at $2.70 and reaped the rewards of some blatant bias.

Can anybody in the world tell me what that last penalty was for? I was in a pub full of Kiwis. None of them could tell me. Neither could the OZ supporters. The replay of it was cut short, probably by a Kiwi video tech.
The score would have favoured the Canes much more if they'd had anything approaching the stamina levels required at this level.

Interesting that Giteau could be yellowed ( Brumbies v Crusaders 2011 ) when a Crusaders player kicked the ball out but an obvious yellow boot kicks the ball out of Genias hands, in the red zone and nary a penalty ensues.

It's an absolute disgrace. There HAS to be neutral refs. The only upside is that people will be able to pay their mortgage backing Kiwi teams being reffed by Kiwis in New Zealand.

Shepherdson was clearly offside... replay showed that...

R

Raugeee

Why do you want to analyse every possible error by the ref & just gloss over all the errors & missed opportunities by the Reds?
The Reds had their chances and were not good enough. Yeah neutral refs are the ideal, but then you run the risk of getting Kaplan!
I would prefer the home town refs!

I didn't analyse every ref error I actually predicted it!! I made the call yesterday that Reds had no chance, I put my money where my mouth was. I'm sick of it. I can't believe the mentality of people who view the disgraces with rose coloured glasses. True, a result is that Kaplan could ref which would be worse but that's only an aberration. Joubert, Lawrence and Peyper are all good refs.

At LEAST an OZ or SAF could be TMO then there would be some semblance of fairness. I can't believe there's another competition in the world, that purports to be seriously international, that would serve up this garbage.

"Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done." - Lord Chief Justice Hewart

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The game was just replayed on Fox Sports 1, and the incident occured seconds before I typed my post...

They replay a shot before Cruden kicks the goal which clearly shows Shepherdson failing to retreat back onside...

Completely lazy running...

The ref didn't lose the game for the Reds... the Reds did...

R

Raugeee

The game was just replayed on Fox Sports 1, and the incident occured seconds before I typed my post...

They replay a shot before Cruden kicks the goal which clearly shows Shepherdson failing to retreat back onside...

Completely lazy running...

Mate, I appreciate you're being positive and it's all for the good because otherwise the players will fall into the trap of not taking responsiblity etc, etc. I am talking as a fan who feels if enough genuine zeal is portrayed to SANZAR then something may be done about this atrocious situation.

The ref didn't lose the game for the Reds... the Reds did...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, I don't know what interpretation of offside your using but if it's the case, every single facet of play in Rugby is illegal.

It was fairly clear cut...

Shepherdson failed to retreat onside midfield when Gear was tackled and a ruck was formed...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
That was like watching an episode of F-Troop, though I must admit I chuckled less. I suppose QC (Quade Cooper) was looking for the 4 try bonus point/win with his cross-field kick in the last few minutes. Ouch.

We can hardly complain about the ref when the reds completions and decisions were far worse. The lineout, ineffective tackles - if the hurricanes pass in the tackle, what's gonna happen with the Crusaders!?

Slipper, Daley, Faingaas, Simmons, Samo - come back!

The off side against Shepherdson was obvious, and inevitable. He did not have a great game, though as mentioned he had to tough out 80 minutes.

R

Raugeee

It was fairly clear cut...

Shepherdson failed to retreat onside midfield when Gear was tackled and a ruck was formed...

Coach Ewen McKenzie had plenty to be frustrated about and also questioned the call against Shepherdson by referee Keith Brown.

“He was running back to the goal-line, he wasn't running forward,” McKenzie said.

I suppose Link has no idea as well eh?

Slim, it's one of those calls that yes, may marginally be technically correct but only a home town ref would see it. How conveniently timed too. It's OK, I pocketed my winnings.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McKenzie doesn't deny that he was offside...

He simply says that he was running back to the goal line...

But the replay shows that Shepherdson fails to make it back to an onside position (behind the last feet of the ruck) before rushing up in the defensive line...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Raugee, you're completely delusional if you honestly believe that the Reds didn't lose this for themselves...

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Raugeee, your whining is atrocious.Just because you whinged about it before the game doesn't make it alright. A good side overcomes bad ref calls.
I think the single biggest reason we don't have neutral referees is the fact that Australian refs are so crap that we can't provide enough refs to cover enough games for there to be all neutral officials. Perhaps you should really put your money where your mouth is & go out and become a ref today?
I think the biggest reason the Reds lost this game was our defence out wide in the first half, we clearly missed Ant Fainga'a's attacking defensive abilities. His role in this Reds side is very underrated by a lot of posters here. Last night the proof was in the pudding. I think it was a big mistake from Link to rest him, especially with a young winger making his debut. In fact I'm against the whole concept of resting players, these guys are professionals & this is their job, .... they can have a rest when bye week comes around. I'm pretty sure most players wouldn't want a rest either, it gives someone else a chance to take their spot. Best team available on the park all season!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also...

What was Cooper thinking putting in a cross field kick with a couple of minutes to go when you're only up by 1 point?

The fact is the Reds shouldn't have given the Hurricanes the opportunity to get the penalty...

If the Reds had of been smart they would've grinded out the win...

Dumb play...

Nearly as dumb as Giteau's short 22m into Hand's bumbling hands when the Brumbies were in striking distance with 10 minutes to go...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The fact is the Reds shouldn't have given the Hurricanes the opportunity to get the penalty...

One of those plays that make the coach tear his hair out.

They were being thrashed in the first half, they managed to manufacture enough points in the second while staunching the haemorrhage that was their defence to get in front.

Rather than just grind out the last 2 mins QC (Quade Cooper) opens the door for them. The commentators thought it was happening and I'm sure every reds fan went "WTF!" as he kicked.

Oh, and having QC (Quade Cooper) kick penalties and conversions rather than Harris is like giving the the opposition a try start. It's a luxury that they won't be able to afford.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Are you serious Raugee? The replay i saw it was clearly a red boot that kicked the ball out of Genias hand. Why was he even stuffing around with slow ball, i thought it was the perfect opportunity to go himself. Only remember once where he had a run from the back of the ruck. Sheperdson was also clearly offside. The Reds lost that all on their own. One change too many from link with so many frontline guys injured. At least we know now what to expect from the second stringers. Slips was greatly missed along with A Fainga'a which brings me to my next point.

There better not be anymore criticism of A Fainga'a again this year. He isn't flashy but show me a back in the country at the moment that is a better defender and he does so much for positioning the backline. Chambers was clueless. With backs like Cooper, OConnor and Beale in the Wobs backline he must be in serious contention to be outside centre. Almost always gets over advantage line, great in support and didn't he win the most turnovers for the Reds last year, even ahead of Braid.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ha Ha. I agree, no whinging. Tonight we were off our game.

Shep is awful, I'm not sure if he was ever good but he is now awful.

The Finger brothers are crucial to the Reds, there have been grumbles that their positions are under siege. Very untrue.

Chambers, I have already said enough.

Shipperley will be a very good footballer, unfortunately tonight was a little early in his development. He will be better for it though.

Link also needs to stop playing locks at 6. Samo is a rare athlete. If he wanted to give him a rest he had two very capable blokes sitting in Brisbane in Shatz and Quirk. Not to mention Leroy.

Harris needs to kick the goals. Everyone knows this. None more so than link, though obviously he does not want to upset QC (Quade Cooper), and is hoping that he will make the decision for him.

I think that's about it. Wouldn't a Peter Hynes be nice right about this time of the season?
Agree with all of that, I would like to add that the Reds should play the whistle, or at least continue to play while arguing for a penalty, if you are going to complain to the referee then at least do it on the run. Standing back and allowing the ball to go to the opposition while complaining is not a good move.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
That was like watching an episode of F-Troop, though I must admit I chuckled less. I suppose QC (Quade Cooper) was looking for the 4 try bonus point/win with his cross-field kick in the last few minutes. .
This is the only reason I would forgive him, I am hoping that the bonus poiint was the reason for a rick, and not just to show off.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This is the only reason I would forgive him, I am hoping that the bonus poiint was the reason for a rick, and not just to show off.
Most people would argue that you bank the 4 points for winning the game rather than risk it all for a bonus point.
That is the problem with QC (Quade Cooper), he is a loose cannon that you cannot rely on in tight games.
We might not be able to win a RWC without QC (Quade Cooper) but we definitely cannot win one with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.