• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Canes v Reds at the Cake Tin - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not even close to a high tackle. Like many others I am seeing penalised lately. Hit the ball first and bounced up to his shoulder. And yes I do know the Law.
I am having a look again at the game and I will now concede that it's technically a high tackle. his arm slips up around his throat after hitting the ball. I'm a big fan of the Rugby version compared to the League high tackle rule because there is less chance of a player getting hurt our way.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Haven't read all the posts, so not sure about everything has been said.

Disappointed to lose, but not sure we deserved it. After that very early try I thought we were pretty ordinary in the first half, and the Canes weren't too bad. Cruden had a big game for them.

I haven't seen a replay but that last penalty certainly confused me and the people I watched the game with. Also, why the hell did QC (Quade Cooper) cross kick in the final minutes? I thought that was madness.

T

tranquility

Haven't read all the posts, so not sure about everything has been said.

Disappointed to lose, but not sure we deserved it. After that very early try I thought we were pretty ordinary in the first half, and the Canes weren't too bad. Cruden had a big game for them.

I haven't seen a replay but that last penalty certainly confused me and the people I watched the game with. Also, why the hell did QC (Quade Cooper) cross kick in the final minutes? I thought that was madness.

Without intention, you just succinctly surmised the general post-game sentiment that took us the best part of 6 pages to do.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Have just visited this thread. Some of the whinges about refereeing are worse than from Tahs fans but the rebuttals to them from other Reds fans show that there is some sense north of the Tweed, just as there was some south of it last week.

I have nothing much to add except that I watched the game at the SFS and was the first, as usual, to turn the TV on in the dining area and my usual mates watched the game with me as we had a meal and I drunk my bootleg red wine from a blackcurrant Powerade bottle, with it. At $7.50 for a little plastic glass at the bar it is a fine alternative. But I digress.

I couldn't believe the ineptitude of the Reds until I realised they were having their Cheetahs game, as everybody does. Couldn't hear the commentary after a while as the room filled up but that is sometimes better with Kiwi commentators.

I was interested in the attitude of the crowd in the room - all Tahs supporters. A few yahooed as the Reds were being dominated but most of us were in a bit of empathetic shock for our countrymen. Then when the Reds came back in the 2nd half we were all cheering for them, but right at the end there were some yahoos for the Canes when the penalty was given to them, from the same quarter as in the first half.

I looked around and they weren't Tahs fans at all but cuzzies from across the ditch. Why they were at a Tahs v Rebels match, I have no clue, but it suffices to say that the Tahs supporters were 100% behind the Reds, or close enough.

No doubt if the Reds were playing another Oz team the cheers would have gone against the Reds, but it was good to see some unity for an Oz team against a Kiwi team.

I found a new yarning friend watching the game. We agreed that young Shipperley should read the law book about the free kick for a mark, and should have played on. I told him what my high school rugby coach (and maths teacher) taught me: that you always play to the whistle and if some sook is taking a mark you always knock the crap out of him unless you hear the referee blow his whistle a second or more beforehand.

We also agreed, as Cooper lined up for his first kick at goal, that Harris should take the kicks for the Reds. Yours truly mentioned this after they came back from South Africa but some poncey reasons to the contrary were given on this forum. The Reds would have won this game with Harris kicking and Cooper not.

Chances are that this was always going to happen and it will probably happen again unless Link makes a change. The best predictions are true when you make them.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
i shagged one of the canes cheerleaders after the game.

No, you didn't. Why lie?

Back on topic, enjoyed the game, a good watch for a neutralish supporter. Result was right I think, Canes deserved the points but Morahan's second try was worth the 90 minutes of my time alone to see. What a great try.

From an AB supporter perspective, nice to see Cruden step up - his distance kicking is poor and his general goal kicking wasn't great, but he ran things well.

His opposite, Quade, was still Quade. Has he done any work on his defence? I don't look out for him, but I did notice 2 specifc missed tackles from him. Kick for that try was pinpoint accurate though - that is some skill.

Nice result to squeeze up the table a bit anyway.

D

Dunnman

No, you didn't. Why lie?

Back on topic, enjoyed the game, a good watch for a neutralish supporter. Result was right I think, Canes deserved the points but Morahan's second try was worth the 90 minutes of my time alone to see. What a great try.

From an AB supporter perspective, nice to see Cruden step up - his distance kicking is poor and his general goal kicking wasn't great, but he ran things well.

His opposite, Quade, was still Quade. Has he done any work on his defence? I don't look out for him, but I did notice 2 specifc missed tackles from him. Kick for that try was pinpoint accurate though - that is some skill.

Nice result to squeeze up the table a bit anyway.

What will you do if I can prove it?

D

Dunnman

Well I can... but im not seeing enough incentive to reveal myself.

Oh well, but hey.... tonight is another game at the cake tin and another shagging is on the way 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.