• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Canes v Reds at the Cake Tin - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree with most of your post there RedsHappy, however this rotating to give players a rest is a real nonsense in my opinion. The season isn't all that long & they have 2 bye weeks. Those alone are enough of a break that a young man should need. Look at what rotation did this week by your own observation in the benching of Ant Fainga'a. Keeping the strongest available team on the park week in week out is the only way to sustain momentum in my opinion.

Too much rotation isn't a good thing...

The champion teams have generally had a mostly settled xv with maybe one or two changes throughout the year...

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
RH I agree with parts of your post, vehemently disagree with other parts, but I love the irony that you refer to a test match last year against the poms when criticising Mitchell's lazy defence.
What were the stats for QC (Quade Cooper) against the Poms last year? was it 9 misses from 11 attempts?

That game would have been from the EOYT. I think RH was referring to the June tests.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
RH I agree with parts of your post, vehemently disagree with other parts, but I love the irony that you refer to a test match last year against the poms when criticising Mitchell's lazy defence.
What were the stats for QC (Quade Cooper) against the Poms last year? was it 9 misses from 11 attempts?

I was highly critical of Mitchell's laziness post the Tahs V Cheetahs this year as well. So often he was spied walking or doing a slow jog back when the Cheetahs kicked through.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Quade Cooper has shown that his game is developing. Carlos Spencer game stayed the same. It's not fair to compare him to Larkham. He was one of the great players. But you are comparing a player who has ended his career with one who is just starting.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps Hanson is not quite ready for a starting role just yet. While his work around the park was serviceable, I expect my hookers to be able to throw a decent lineout ball.

As a side note, was Big Kev even on the park tonight? I can barely remember seeing him. I also am wondering why it appeared he was not in the refs face seeking clarifications or revving his team after some dumb penalties. Even Genia seemed to be a bit quiet. Am I on track here or am I being a bit harsh?

I think Will was off his game, but Kev was my Red MOM. Thought he was in everything in tight. Very busy.

R

Raugeee

If you're right, it's genius that he's never caught :)

I noticed that McCaw was FINALLY yellow carded for repeated infringements. Maybe people constantly pointing out the refs ineptitude is getting results.

R

Raugeee

Are you serious Raugee? The replay i saw it was clearly a red boot that kicked the ball out of Genias hand. Why was he even stuffing around with slow ball, i thought it was the perfect opportunity to go himself. Only remember once where he had a run from the back of the ruck. Sheperdson was also clearly offside. The Reds lost that all on their own. One change too many from link with so many frontline guys injured. At least we know now what to expect from the second stringers. Slips was greatly missed along with A Fainga'a which brings me to my next point.

There better not be anymore criticism of A Fainga'a again this year. He isn't flashy but show me a back in the country at the moment that is a better defender and he does so much for positioning the backline. Chambers was clueless. With backs like Cooper, OConnor and Beale in the Wobs backline he must be in serious contention to be outside centre. Almost always gets over advantage line, great in support and didn't he win the most turnovers for the Reds last year, even ahead of Braid.

Watch it again and I'll bet you $50 it was a Hurricanes boot. Stop giving the cheats so much latitude.

R

Raugeee

Raugee, you're completely delusional if you honestly believe that the Reds didn't lose this for themselves...

And your completely delusional thinking home town refs don't favour their sides.

R

Raugeee

Raugeee, your whining is atrocious.Just because you whinged about it before the game doesn't make it alright. A good side overcomes bad ref calls.
I think the single biggest reason we don't have neutral referees is the fact that Australian refs are so crap that we can't provide enough refs to cover enough games for there to be all neutral officials. Perhaps you should really put your money where your mouth is & go out and become a ref today?
I think the biggest reason the Reds lost this game was our defence out wide in the first half, we clearly missed Ant Fainga'a's attacking defensive abilities. His role in this Reds side is very underrated by a lot of posters here. Last night the proof was in the pudding. I think it was a big mistake from Link to rest him, especially with a young winger making his debut. In fact I'm against the whole concept of resting players, these guys are professionals & this is their job, .... they can have a rest when bye week comes around. I'm pretty sure most players wouldn't want a rest either, it gives someone else a chance to take their spot. Best team available on the park all season!

Most - actually all defences of Kiwi refs is that their not blatantly biased it's that their incompetent. If that's the case then let's have some incompetent OZ refs to even up the ledger. I noticed a Kiwi ref Vinny Munro, actually had the gall to yellow McCaw for repeated infringements against the Force. It'll be interesting to see how he's treated by the NZ Rugby Union.

Please, get your arguments straight, are the refs baised or incompetent?

D

daz

Geez Raugeee, 30 posts and not one of them about anything other than slagging the ref's. You don't like home town ref's, we get it.

Got any other topics up your sleeve?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Geez Raugeee, 30 posts and not one of them about anything other than slagging the ref's. You don't like home town ref's, we get it.

Got any other topics up your sleeve?
There's always something else up a wizard's sleeve.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Too much rotation isn't a good thing...

The champion teams have generally had a mostly settled xv with maybe one or two changes throughout the year...

The Crusaders have always rotated players. They are a champion team.

However, I don't like rotating backs, only forwards. Only change backs for injury and form.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think rotation shouldn't just be for the sake of rotation- I agree with Scotty above, but I also think squads should be rotated in preparation for big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.