• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2024

whitefalcon

Jim Clark (26)
Although the Rebels haven't yet passed into history, there has been quite a bit of speculation about players moving on to other clubs or overseas. Some of them will apparently be very busy next year having been linked to multiple teams. But not a whisper about anyone heading for the Brumbies in 2025. Is this a recognition that none or few at the most would add value to the existing roster or perhaps RA is only interested in bolstering one or two favoured sides?

I think the established stars will already have a home for next year, including LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Leota and Kellaway. The next rung of developing players, the likes of Kailea, Canham, Ekuasi, Carter Gordon, and Darby Lancaster will add longer term value wherever they go, but most of the rest might find it hard to break into the starting side at the stronger teams so I expect most will head to the Tahs or Force, or look for opportunities overseas.

My thoughts are that any of Kailea, Canham, Ekuasi, Gordon or Lancaster would be good pick-ups for the Brumbies. Kailea to replace Slipper in a couple of years, Canham to replace Darcy Swain, Ekuasi to fill any potential backrow gap if any of Kennedy, Brown, Reimer or Scott move on, Gordon as a potential No12 if Tua isn't renewed, and Lancaster if Andrew Muirhead calls it a day anytime soon.
Jooste could be a good pickup as a 12 too if Tua isnt renewed

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Although the Rebels haven't yet passed into history, there has been quite a bit of speculation about players moving on to other clubs or overseas. Some of them will apparently be very busy next year having been linked to multiple teams. But not a whisper about anyone heading for the Brumbies in 2025. Is this a recognition that none or few at the most would add value to the existing roster or perhaps RA is only interested in bolstering one or two favoured sides?

I think the established stars will already have a home for next year, including LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Leota and Kellaway. The next rung of developing players, the likes of Kailea, Canham, Ekuasi, Carter Gordon, and Darby Lancaster will add longer term value wherever they go, but most of the rest might find it hard to break into the starting side at the stronger teams so I expect most will head to the Tahs or Force, or look for opportunities overseas.

My thoughts are that any of Kailea, Canham, Ekuasi, Gordon or Lancaster would be good pick-ups for the Brumbies. Kailea to replace Slipper in a couple of years, Canham to replace Darcy Swain, Ekuasi to fill any potential backrow gap if any of Kennedy, Brown, Reimer or Scott move on, Gordon as a potential No12 if Tua isn't renewed, and Lancaster if Andrew Muirhead calls it a day anytime soon.
Yeah it's acknowledgement that Brumbies are the best team with the best depth. Agreed pick up a prop or two and definitely need some help on the wing. Muirhead is slowing down and Sapsford is solid but not spectacular. I've said before a back 3 of Toole, Lancaster, Wright is pretty terrifying.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tualima has been reported as heading to the Brumbies and Gibbon has been linked with them though that one sounded more like speculation then inside word.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/05/...els-stars-will-find-new-homes-in-super-rugby/

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we assume that each Aussie Super Rugby team will get about $2m extra per annum from Rugby Australia, then I could have seen us going in for Leota (add quality to quality) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (replace Swain, give us yet another flexible lock-6), then go for misc depth with Jack Maunder, Nick Jooste (welcome home Lionel Cronje 2.0), and Matt Proctor as an experienced player to be a safe pair of hands in an injury crisis and to support younger players.

But so much depends on what RA do with the money they previously gave to the Rebels. Presumably broadcast revenue will go down and the reduced payment will go towards meeting reduced revenue. If it's another negotiation point for the centralised contracts, anything could happen there.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It will depend who we can keep, was there noise we were told we couldn't resign Tua hope that's not true

I'd think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) a LHP/THP maybe Eloff or Gibbon... winger in Lancaster and maybe Mason Gordon as a young fullback.

Don't really rate any of there centres better then we have.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If we assume that each Aussie Super Rugby team will get about $2m extra per annum from Rugby Australia, then I could have seen us going in for Leota (add quality to quality) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (replace Swain, give us yet another flexible lock-6), then go for misc depth with Jack Maunder, Nick Jooste (welcome home Lionel Cronje 2.0), and Matt Proctor as an experienced player to be a safe pair of hands in an injury crisis and to support younger players.

But so much depends on what RA do with the money they previously gave to the Rebels. Presumably broadcast revenue will go down and the reduced payment will go towards meeting reduced revenue. If it's another negotiation point for the centralised contracts, anything could happen there.
RA lost $9.3m last year, and while this year should have more revenue, it's hard to imagine they break even after running two Super Rugby teams.

I don't think there will be any extra money for any of the remaining teams, at least until after Lions tour

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Exactly Strewthcobber, that's my fear. Maybe ten Rebels players get signed by the other Aussie sides before anyone gets cut or misses out on a renewal, but then it's just a slaughter. So good luck to any team trying to get a big money player, and well done Tahs for landing Kellaway before everything fell over.

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)

I think it's recognition that Brums consistent performance is a function of strong talent ID, development, coaching, system and squad continuity (i.e the antithesis of the tahs)

I think the organisation is forward thinking, and will primarly recruit now with 2026 and beyond in mind:

- I would perhaps pursue two rebels - Leafi Talataina and Darby Lancaster.

- I would look to Lachie Shaw, Toby McPherson & Harvey Cordukes to step up as 4th/5th/6th choice lock. No external recruitment needed.

- I would look to Lington Ieli, Liam Bowron and Tevita Alatini ahead of pursuing the Rebels front row options. Already have good depth. No external recruitment needed.

- I would look to promote Angus Staniforth & Cullen Gray, who I see as potential Wallabies backline stars of the future. I'd probably hunt for one of Taj Annan or Isaac Henry from the Reds, who are potential future Wallabies 12s stuck behind Paisami (and as good as Tua have been I'd prefer an Aus eligible 12).

- I would move Muirhead, Kennedy, McInerney (+Swain) on, but ideally retain the rest of the squad.

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
I think it's recognition that Brums consistent performance is a function of strong talent ID, development, coaching, system and squad continuity (i.e the antithesis of the tahs)

I think the organisation is forward thinking, and will primarly recruit now with 2026 and beyond in mind:

- I would look to Lachie Shaw, Toby McPherson & Harvey Cordukes to step up as 4th/5th/6th choice lock. No external recruitment needed.

- I would look to Lington Ieli, Liam Bowron and Tevita Alatini ahead of pursuing the Rebels front row options. Already have good depth. No external recruitment needed.

- I would look to promote Angus Staniforth & Cullen Gray, who I see as potential Wallabies backline stars of the future. I'd probably hunt for one of Taj Annan or Isaac Henry from the Reds, who are potential future Wallabies 12s stuck behind Paisami (and as good as Tua have been I'd prefer an Aus eligible 12).

- I would move Muirhead, Kennedy, McInerney (+Swain) on, but ideally retain the rest of the squad.
Agreed Ray,

With the strategy of targeting the backline and being strategic about external recruitment, particularly in areas where there's a need for depth or potential Wallabies stars. Retaining the core of the squad while making strategic moves to strengthen key areas sets the stage for sustained success and competitiveness in the long term.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

I thought Muirhead was close to finalising a 12 month extension. Moving on maybe Fred Kaihea played JID 2 weeks ago back from hammy missed last weekend.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Canberra Times reporting Tom Hooper being the last to recommit to the Brumbies. Considering an attractive ($s, perhaps in no other way) offer from the RA Tahs, but close to signing on again with the Brumbies. I take it that both Lolesio and Toole have re-signed but not yet announced. However, the Brumbies did hold a private farewell for the three known departures, Swain, Tua and McInerney during the past week.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Canberra Times reporting Tom Hooper being the last to recommit to the Brumbies. Considering an attractive ($s, perhaps in no other way) offer from the RA Tahs, but close to signing on again with the Brumbies. I take it that both Lolesio and Toole have re-signed but not yet announced. However, the Brumbies did hold a private farewell for the three known departures, Swain, Tua and McInerney during the past week.
That. Or maybe waiting to see what Michael Cheika does. Or maybe something else that players (not armchair warriors) make decisions upon.

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Stan coverage / post matched confirms Tua, Kaihea, McInerney, Browne, Swain & Kennedy as the leavers.

Browne / Tua / Swain are significant losses.

Have the depth to cover Browne & Swain losses. Need to sign a quality 12.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
What's Irae Simone's contract status, and how's his form?

Of the locals, I would have liked to see Carter Gordon have a go at 12 for us, but looks like he's off to the Tahs.

EDIT : of course the Brumbies also have Austin Anderson on the books, so he's likely to be next cab off the rank.