• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2024

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brown is now Wallaby eligible I believe. Pretty rough if he's now being forced (encouraged) to leave just as he could be considered for national selection.

Agree on the hookers. Barring injury, we are well covered.

Will be interesting to see if and where Declan Meredith fits into the 23 next year. I reckon he's got a lot of upside and further development in him, but has already been JID player of the year playing in the 10 jersey and has filled in quite well on occasions off the bench for the Brumbies. I would think we'll probably also see Angus Staniforth in some role next year.
I'm a huge Jahrome Brown fan, he's probably our best poacher and most natural 7, but if he's not getting game time (22 starts, 9 sub appearances out of a possible 47 games in the last three years) and we aren't actively planning to keep him, best to let him move on. Hopefully he gets a good gig somewhere.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Very doubtful Brown would be forced out on the basis of being foreign born with his eligibility either already earned or there by the first test of next year. Much more likely the Brumbies have decided that having all 3 of Reimer, Brown and Scott on the books is more than they need (or can afford) at 7 and Brown being off contract means he's the unlucky one going. Beyond that it may also be that he doesn't see much chance of playing for the Wallabies and so is deciding to take the money overseas.
Reason I ask as I read somewhere they weren't allowed to resign Tua, but went looking again and they were encouraged to sign eligible players but didn't offer Tua the deal as they like Austin Anderson more.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a huge Jahrome Brown fan, he's probably our best poacher and most natural 7, but if he's not getting game time (22 starts, 9 sub appearances out of a possible 47 games in the last three years) and we aren't actively planning to keep him, best to let him move on. Hopefully he gets a good gig somewhere.

Poaching eggs?

He’s certainly not in the same ballpark as Reimer or Scott in that facet of play…

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reason I ask as I read somewhere they weren't allowed to resign Tua, but went looking again and they were encouraged to sign eligible players but didn't offer Tua the deal as they like Austin Anderson more.
That could only apply to guys like Tua and Ravai at the Reds who are off contract and won't be eligible within the terms of their next contract (or ever). There's no reason for RA to block the re-signing of players who have become eligible, unless maybe they've out and out declared they're not interested, but I don't see any reason for a player to do that.

It is also all rumour at this stage, I don't think there has been anything official said. Still it's fairly likely they will restrict those full foreign re-signings at least for this year and maybe next. Force might be a special case though, given they always have been allowed more foreign players (along with the rebels).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, it’s unfortunate because he’s been in great form this year but he’s not going to be eligible any time soon, and with the Rebels cut I’m sure RA would prefer what few spots are up for grabs are being reserved for local talent…

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
That could only apply to guys like Tua and Ravai at the Reds who are off contract and won't be eligible within the terms of their next contract (or ever). There's no reason for RA to block the re-signing of players who have become eligible, unless maybe they've out and out declared they're not interested, but I don't see any reason for a player to do that.

It is also all rumour at this stage, I don't think there has been anything official said. Still it's fairly likely they will restrict those full foreign re-signings at least for this year and maybe next. Force might be a special case though, given they always have been allowed more foreign players (along with the rebels).
Agree it's fair enough, I think teams should need to get approval for non Australian eligible players with the Rebels leaving. Even the Force. We need as Oz many players as possible to be in our teams.

12 , and front rowers are probably the ones on the chopping blocks I can see ATM. Not that I think we have that many star 12's trotting around at the moment

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
the crowds have been poor for a while a shame as they've only lost 3 games there in 3 years I don't know if they've had any over 10k

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Do you know if Brumbies wear this away jersey in 2001 or 2002? And if you can remember. In which game? I was looking I couldn't find it
Screenshot-20240608-181518-e-Bay.jpg
There is no true Brumbies supporters here? Just casuals?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree it's fair enough, I think teams should need to get approval for non Australian eligible players with the Rebels leaving. Even the Force. We need as Oz many players as possible to be in our teams.

12 , and front rowers are probably the ones on the chopping blocks I can see ATM. Not that I think we have that many star 12's trotting around at the moment
Yeah, I expect RA will be limiting them, at least until the rebels squad is accounted for.

That said Tua has never really shown any intent in qualifying for Australia with his regular stints in the NPC, so it's just as likely he has taken a money offer in Europe that the Brumbies weren't able to match and RA hasn't really come into it.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yeah but did the team wear it at least one game? I can't find any photo of the team wearing it. Is there a Brumbies website where I can find photos of all games?
I had a brief look around, but I couldn't find anything with photos from the period, Just that it was the away jersey; you could start by going through the 2001 / 2002 matches one by one on YouTube, probably away to the Sharks or Otago being that they are whitish. I don't really have the time to do it for you.

And calling us not true fans, finding an obscure jersey from over 20 years ago and game day photos to wear them; you probably won't find many of any teams.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
you could start by going through the 2001 / 2002 matches one by one on YouTube, probably away to the Sharks or Otago being that they are whitish. I don't really have the time to do it for you.
That's what I did and I couldn't find anything. It looks like they wore it for training sessions.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Block directly no, but it's clear what had to happen.

Australian Super Rugby clubs are waiting to find out if they will be granted salary cap relief and exemptions next year, but a decision will come too late to keep an unsung hero in Canberra.

It can be revealed a European club has swooped on ACT Brumbies centre Tamati Tua, with the clash against the Otago Highlanders on Saturday night to be his last in the capital.

But Rugby Australia's decision to axe the Melbourne Rebels has lobbed a curveball at all active contract negotiations.

Rebels players of national interest will have a choice of which Australian team they would like to play at, while those with deals beyond this season can also pick their next destination.

Their availability has flooded the player market and will likely impact Hooper's decision, while Cale, Lolesio and Toole were hot property but all are set to stay in Canberra.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
the crowds have been poor for a while a shame as they've only lost 3 games there in 3 years I don't know if they've had any over 10k
Poor crowds possibly depending on how you want to argue the metrics. But we seem to be holding a crowd base of 8-9K over the last few years with a slight increase each year. Noting the shit competition, on going issues with RA, shite stadium, cost of living etc, to be holding steady is not bad in a low population location when you consider all the challenges.

I believe the Rebels were getting around 9k(?). The Brumbies would love to have had the larger population base, better stadium and public transport access on top of a more favourable climate to help with the crowd numbers.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Poor crowds possibly depending on how you want to argue the metrics. But we seem to be holding a crowd base of 8-9K over the last few years with a slight increase each year. Noting the shit competition, on going issues with RA, shite stadium, cost of living etc, to be holding steady is not bad in a low population location when you consider all the challenges.

I believe the Rebels were getting around 9k(?). The Brumbies would love to have had the larger population base, better stadium and public transport access on top of a more favourable climate to help with the crowd numbers.
At least the beers and food are decent for stadium food.

Reactions: mst

whitefalcon

Jim Clark (26)
At least the beers and food are decent for stadium food.
I've always wondered if a selection of good food trucks/pop ups with the gates opening early might bring in some crowds. Try and find a way to make it possible for punters to make a night of it by getting a good feed and few beers before the game to try and combat the stadium being in the middle of nowhere for pre/post game catch ups

Or hell, the brumbies organize some tailgating events just inside/outside the gates