• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bokke Tri Nation Squad/Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Why he doesn't just say he is resting these in the second list just seems stupid.

That would be ten people rested as opposed to 21 "injured".
Because Saru is contractually obligated to bring a full strength team to the 3N. No resting allowed after the 2007 fiasco. Thus we have 21 "injuries". And Saru is bringing a full strength team (other than players unavailable due to "injury")

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well they're not fooling anyone. Someone should ask how 10 players suddenly become injured when they finished on the field in their matches only 1-2 weeks ago.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
"The Nienaber appointment should be welcomed for while the Stormers didn't advance to the Super Rugby final, they did end the competition as comfortably the best defensive side."

Wouldn't that be the Tahs? 252 points conceded v 257 leaked by the Stormers. But never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Sloppy fact-checking by this Saffer journo.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well they're not fooling anyone. Someone should ask how 10 players suddenly become injured when they finished on the field in their matches only 1-2 weeks ago.

Lots of people will ask.

Nobody will answer.

SARU are contractually obligated to send their best team for the 3N but I don't see SANZAR suddenly contracting doctors to run tests on the "injured" players.

I think the Wallabies and AB's are likely to rotate some players. Have to. The calendar will demand it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
"The Nienaber appointment should be welcomed for while the Stormers didn't advance to the Super Rugby final, they did end the competition as comfortably the best defensive side."

Wouldn't that be the Tahs? 252 points conceded v 257 leaked by the Stormers. But never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Was he not referring to the round robin matches?

Right out of the Growden / Pandaram omnibus of fact checking if he wasn't.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think it's hard to find an injury on a professional rugby player. They'd all be carrying something that would force a bloke playing 3rd grade to take a week off.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lots of people will ask.

Nobody will answer.

SARU are contractually obligated to send their best team for the 3N but I don't see SANZAR suddenly contracting doctors to run tests on the "injured" players.

I think the Wallabies and AB's are likely to rotate some players. Have to. The calendar will demand it.

'Rotating' that many players is only going to harm the Boks though, isn't it? You would especially think they could send a close to full strength team to play NZ, their only top quality match there before that one pool game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think it's hard to find an injury on a professional rugby player. They'd all be carrying something that would force a bloke playing 3rd grade to take a week off.

That does a disservice to 3rd graders. I personally have played (well tried to play) 15 minutes of rugby with a snapped ACL.

Plenty of us here would have played matches at various levels with injury. People don't just pull out because of little niggles, otherwise they wouldn't be playing the game in the first place!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
'Rotating' that many players is only going to harm the Boks though, isn't it? You would especially think they could send a close to full strength team to play NZ, their only top quality match there before that one pool game.

It is only for the away games in 3N. They have the two home 3N games plus two more warm up games so there is planety time to test the starting combos.

Worked a treat the last tiem around.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That does a disservice to 3rd graders. I personally have played (well tried to play) 15 minutes of rugby with a snapped ACL.

Plenty of us here would have played matches at various levels with injury. People don't just pull out because of little niggles, otherwise they wouldn't be playing the game in the first place!

I mean you no disservice, trying to play with an injury is different to having physios and other medical professionals at your beck and call 24/7 trying to get you into playing condition.

B

Braveheart.

There are arguments and counter arguments as to resting players.

I personally believe that resting the SA players is a good idea... on average they are older than the Aussie players and they've played together as a squad for a number of years. Playing their "B" team on the Aussie / NZ tour will only serve to increase their depth.

In regards to the Aussie players... we have the squad... we just need to develop combinations. And that's why I'd kick and scream if Deans started to rest players outside of the Samoa match.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is the possible bullshit list:

Victor Matfield (calf and neck), Bakkies Botha (knee), Fourie du Preez (knee), Jaque Fourie (groin), Jean de Villiers (groin), Bismarck du Plessis (shoulder), Andries Bekker (shoulder, groin and ankle), Butch James (knee), JP Pietersen (back), Tendai Mtawarira (hamstring), Francois Louw (clavicle)
You can add FdP to your injured list. Was surprise to see him playing against the Sharks after he hurted his knee quite badly in the previous Shark match. He is way to important to rush back.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

I have been challenge about this one and the journo have it spot on. If you look at the Stormers and WP CC stats since he had been in charge he sure know all about defensive system.

SupeRugby:
Tries concede
Stormers: 1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 4 = 16
Blues: 2 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 0 + 1 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 33
Brumbies: 3 + 1 + 1 + 6 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 5 = 41
Bulls: 3 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 37
Cheetahs: 2 + 3 + 0 + 2 + 0 + 6 + 4 + 3 + 6 + 5 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 = 39
Chiefs: 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 0 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 +2 + 1 = 30
Crusaders: 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 0 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 2 +2 + 0 = 27
Force: 2 + 5 + 1 + 0 + 6 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 5 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 41
Highlanders: 0 + 1 + 3 + 0 + 6 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 0 + 2+ 0 + 2 + 2 + 5 + 3 = 33
Hurricanes: 1 + 3 + 5 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 5 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 40
Lions: 2 + 2 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 5 + 5 + 2 + 5 + 1 + 4 + 3 = 50
Rebels: 7 + 2 + 4 + 4 + 7 + 2 + 3 + 6 + 6 + 3 + 4 + 7 + 5 + 5 + 3 + 5 = 73
Reds: 1 + 4 + 4 + 0 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 0 + 4 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 34
Sharks: 0 + 0 + 0 + 4 + 0 + 5 + 1 + 0 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 28
Waratahs: 0 + 0 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 5 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 20

2010:
SupeRugby

Stormers 17
Crusaders 24
Brumbies 25
The Sharks 27
Waratahs 31
Bulls 32
Blues 32
Hurricanes 37
Reds 38
Western Force 42
Chiefs 48
Cheetahs 50
Highlanders 53
Lions 72

CC
Western Province 19
Sharks 21
Lions 26
Cheetahs 27
Blue Bulls 28
Griquas 52
Leopards 79
Boland 102

He did exactly the same thing with the Tin Ears when he started out as their defensive coach with Rassie. One of the best consultants to have in your camp.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There are arguments and counter arguments as to resting players.

I personally believe that resting the SA players is a good idea... on average they are older than the Aussie players and they've played together as a squad for a number of years. Playing their "B" team on the Aussie / NZ tour will only serve to increase their depth.

In regards to the Aussie players... we have the squad... we just need to develop combinations. And that's why I'd kick and scream if Deans started to rest players outside of the Samoa match.
Pretty spot on. We have already a tendense in our SupeRugby squads where myself feel some of our youngsters sat out because of the old stars playing. At the Stormers I felt their coaches dropped a lot by not playing their two young midfielders Sadie and JdJ more. They both show their value on S15 level and havent been used enough. The same goes for the Brute young locks like vdMerwe & Kruger, the same goes for Smit at the Sharks. The other side of the coin is that those not in the sure WC sqaud get a change to show their mettle. If we had played the old lot again and again, we will never know if these young lot have it in them at test level. They have nothing to lose only a lot to gain.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Because Saru is contractually obligated to bring a full strength team to the 3N. No resting allowed after the 2007 fiasco. Thus we have 21 "injuries". And Saru is bringing a full strength team (other than players unavailable due to "injury")

Which is a stupid situation. Everyone builds up the RWC as the pinnacle of the sport, and it is indeed the biggest show piece, but we end up with no concessions being made in the RWC year. Speaking for myself I would much rather see the best players fit and healthy at the RWC, from all teams. If that means resting players with niggles then so be it.

And again, it's not as if SA are sending a rookie squad, virtually all of them are capped Springboks, some are playing better than the incumbents.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just read the Stormers are looking to sign Heinrich Brussouw. Not a fan of the Cheetahs constantly being raided by the other provinces. I really hope the Ebersohn boys and Ashley Johnson stay there

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Just read the Stormers are looking to sign Heinrich Brussouw. Not a fan of the Cheetahs constantly being raided by the other provinces. I really hope the Ebersohn boys and Ashley Johnson stay there

Not surprised with F Louw leaving overseas and they donlt seem to have any other real opensides.. I hope Heinrich stays in Bloem.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Likely Bok run on side against Australia, according to our friend Keo:

http://www.keo.co.za/2011/07/07/boks-show-their-hand/#more-83038

Likely Bok XV to face Australia (23 July): 15 Gio Aplon, 14 Bjorn Basson, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Danie Rossouw, 7 Ashley Johnson, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Johann Muller, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 John Smit (c), 1 Dean Greyling.
Reserves (from): Heinrich Brüssow, Alistair Hargreaves, Adi Jacobs, Elton Jantjies, Charl McLeod, Ryan Kankowski, Pat Lambie, Odwa Ndungane, Coenie Oosthuizen, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Adriaan Strauss, Jean Deysel.

Johan Muller. Wtf? Has never performed in a Bok jersey. Hargreaves should feel hard done by. The Cheetahs lokcs were better than these guys as well.

Wynand Olivier. Same. Lucky. Fark I am PISSED that Johan Sadie is not getting a run at 13. Show some balls Piet.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
They may as well let Jantjies start in that team.

As for SA's overly huge injury list, i guess it is understandable they don't want to waste a week of their world cup warm up on a week trip to Sydney just to get humiliated by Quade and Co on home turf. But at the same time NZ and Australia are making the trip so why not just contribute like the rest of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.