• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bokke Tri Nation Squad/Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I completely agree that Brits and Mujati have improved their set piece play in the NH but I'm not so sure I agree that this automatically makes them good choices.

The theory goes that the NH sides always have good scrums if nothing else. It's true that there have been times when they dominated the Springbok scrum, but that hasn't been for a while, and it was never set in stone anyway. We know that a tight 5 can dominate one week, and the next be dominated. The AB scrum very seldom struggles against NH sides, yet it's about 50/50 who gets the upper hand in a Boks vs AB game.

I'd definitely like to see Mujati tried out in the tri-nations as I don't completely rate the current SA depth at tighthead. However, I wouldn't place money on him being a revelation.

We have plenty of good hookers in SA, so Brits is more difficult, but I would like to see what he could do too.

(Hi, first post here, seems like a good site for rugby discussions rather than flamewars)

Welcome, you must show your colours here before getting caught up in a North vs South war? Fact is Mujatsi aint a SA citizen and dont have the paperwork to qualify to play for the Bokke. Seems like he is just as bad with paperwork as his Zim farm poaching dad. He can play for England as far as myself go. Beast struggled for longer then a year to get back into the Bok jersey, not that the other NH players value the Bok jersey anyway.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Welcome Mank.

Trying mujati in the 3N would make sense.

Good site this. Nice to have another Saffer, even if it's a fish :). There are a few of us that are regulars.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SARugby
Preliminary Bok RWC squad named
June 20, 2011
Twenty-one Rugby World Cup winners were among a preliminary Springbok squad of 49 players named for the 2011 tournament by the South African Rugby Union (SARU) on Monday. The final Rugby World Cup squad of 30 will be named on August 23.
The names were submitted to the International Rugby Board as part of a requirement of Rugby World Cup planning. However, the list is not definitive and the final squad can include players from outside the initial group.

Rugby World Cup-winning 2007 captain John Smit and vice-captain Victor Matfield were joined by 19 other members of the World Cup winners of four years ago in coach Peter de Villiers’s preliminary squad or 49.

“I’m very happy with the squad,” said De Villiers. “We have got a good blend of youth and experience as well as including some uncapped players who have forced their way into contention for selection with their performances in Super Rugby.

“Our planning is at an advanced stage for the international season and the vast majority of these players have attended one or both of our planning camps.

“Our Castle Tri-Nations squad will be drawn from this group once we have been able to sort out those players who are carrying injuries at the end of the Vodacom Super Rugby competition.”

Newcomers to a Springbok squad naming in 2011 are Vodacom Bulls loosehead prop Dean Greyling and the Ulster duo of Johann Muller (lock) and BJ Botha (tighthead prop).

As well as 21 World Cup winners, the squad includes six uncapped players and four whom are based with European clubs.

The Springbok squad for the Castle Tri-Nations will be named on July 2 or 9 (depending on South African involvement in the Vodacom Super Rugby final).

UTILITY BACKS: [5]
Gio Aplon (fullback, wing)
Francois Hougaard (wing, scrumhalf)
Patrick Lambie (fullback, centre, flyhalf)
Ruan Pienaar (fullback, flyhalf, scrumhalf)
Frans Steyn (fullback, centre)

FULLBACKS: [1]
Zane Kirchner

WINGS: [5]
Bjorn Basson
Bryan Habana
Lwazi Mvovo
Odwa Ndungane
JP Pietersen

CENTRES: [5]
Juan de Jongh
Jean de Villiers
Jaque Fourie
Adrian Jacobs
Wynand Olivier

FLYHALVES: [3]
Butch James
Elton Jantjies
Morne Steyn

SCRUMHALVES: [2]
Fourie du Preez
Enrico Januarie

LOOSIES: [10]
Willem Alberts
Heinrich Brüssow
Schalk Burger
Ashley Johnson
Ryan Kankowski
Francois Louw
Juan Smith
Pierre Spies
Deon Stegmann
Duane Vermeulen

LOCKS: [7]
Bakkies Botha
Andries Bekker
Alistair Hargreaves
Victor Matfield
Johann Muller
Danie Rossouw
Flip van der Merwe

HOOKERS: [4]
Bismarck du Plessis
Chiliboy Ralepelle
John Smit
Adriaan Strauss

PROPS [5]:
BJ Botha
Jannie du Plessis
Dean Greyling
Werner Kruger
Tendai Mtawarira
Coenie Oosthuizen
Gurthrö Steenkamp
No Riaan Viljoen, no Sarel Pretorius, no CJ vander Linde, no Dewaldt Potgieter and more NH spoiled brats.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Januarie still makes it?

Of course. He is the coach's darling.

If I were Sarel Pretorius I would get me an agent to go get myself top dollar overseas. Go play in England or come here. He'll make International squads in most other countries.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Januarie still makes it?

That one cracked me up. Those watching this past weekend Stormers vs Tin Ears match would have notice that there is no place for him at the Stormers. Both Louis Schreuder and Groome show they are better options in 9. The Stormers lost Hougaard and Hoffman because of this fuckwit qouta. Saw there are articles about Sadie been offered a lot of money from the Brutes. Not at all that surprise knowing Klein Johan and SlapTjips have Paarl Gym and Malmesbury bonds.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Januarie still makes it?

To what degree is a quota system of any value these days? I don't like the idea of anybody being judged on skin colour in any context. We also have to remember that racism is a two way street. What was a proactive development tool yesterday may not apply tomorrow. I don't claim to have any knowledge of the race situation in South Africa but as I say, I object to anybody being judged on skin colour.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
To what degree is a quota system of any value these days? I don't like the idea of anybody being judged on skin colour in any context. We also have to remember that racism is a two way street. What was a proactive development tool yesterday may not apply tomorrow. I don't claim to have any knowledge of the race situation in South Africa but as I say, I object to anybody being judged on skin colour.

Yur luck you dont live in SA Boet. This is just sport but in the SA work situation its all about BEE or reverse apartheid. We are so use to this it aint even funny. My laaitie will play next week in a SA National U13 hockey tournament in Potch. The first thing on their application form for their trials was to indicate their skin colour with the explanation "to get the numbers right". Field hockey in SA have been banned from the Olympic team for being to white in the past. Its a bit like the S100 competition for myself, you just have to go with the flow. Qoutas in our sport is alive and well for good or bad or whatever.

My cs worth, Januarie is a qouta and a fat one too.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Not the thread to discuss it Paarl but Australia has these social issues also, especially in the North.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not the thread to discuss it Paarl but Australia has these social issues also, especially in the North.
Thats surprising, you get it everywhere I suppose we just gave it a name or a label. There is only one way to go and thats merit. This qouta shite have a lose lose tag attached. The coloured players there on merit feel like they get there on skin colour while the whites use it as an excuse for not making it on merit. Bet the political lot dont get this. It make our kids more racist then the lost generation like myself can wish for.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
jacobs too. don't recall him even playing much for the sharks this year.

Well, in fairness I'd pick Jacobs in his position over Spies in his position. Jacobs takes a lot of flak, but somehow he seems to add penetration every time he comes on the field. Final squad not known so not a huge amount to be gained disputing places yet, but from my view the following can consider themselves a little lucky (some more so) to be in the squad this year:

Zane Kirchner
Odwa Ndungane
Wynand Olivier
Adrian Jacobs
Enrico Januarie
Pierre Spies
Johann Muller

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well, in fairness I'd pick Jacobs in his position over Spies in his position. Jacobs takes a lot of flak, but somehow he seems to add penetration every time he comes on the field. Final squad not known so not a huge amount to be gained disputing places yet, but from my view the following can consider themselves a little lucky (some more so) to be in the squad this year:

Zane Kirchner
Odwa Ndungane
Wynand Olivier
Adrian Jacobs
Enrico Januarie
Pierre Spies
Johann Muller

Agree on all accounts but Kirchner. Nothing wrong there. He has been part of the system and a very solid player. I wouldnlt start him in any games and with the links of Lambie, Steyn and Aplon arounf he might miss out.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Agree on all accounts but Kirchner. Nothing wrong there. He has been part of the system and a very solid player. I wouldnlt start him in any games and with the links of Lambie, Steyn and Aplon arounf he might miss out.

Ok, Kirchner for me was on the edge. He is a player I really wanted to do well in the Bok setup, and he hasn't let the side down, but he hasn't exactly provided a massive amount either. I view him similarly to Olivier, I desperately want them to bring their super rugby form to the Boks, but they never seem to manage it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stil try and figure out the reason for Mullers pick ahead of probably the S100 SA find of this season Elstadt? Just show the system of picking NH players up. Merit a has been and chase local young talent up north. Eisch!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Stil try and figure out the reason for Mullers pick ahead of probably the S100 SA find of this season Elstadt? Just show the system of picking NH players up. Merit a has been and chase local young talent up north. Eisch!

Paarl there is an abvious trend in the picks:

Almosts NO new players.

Muller won't play much. He will be one of the first out the door.

I think a lot of these players are there as backups so that they can be briefed and told what is expected of them, be familiar with the squad etc.

Elstadt is a great find but they are obviously not picking new guys now. I agree with that. It's time for experience now. Elstad wontl get anywhere near a starting side anyway so its pointless.

But I agree, My first reaction was Muller? Wtf?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
BJ Botha, Bismarck, Beast
Bekker, Matfield (yes I think they can play together)
Juan, Schalk, Brussow
Fourie Du P
M Steyn
Jean de Villiers
Juan de Jongh
Fourie
JP Pietersen
Aplon

Bench: Bakkies, Rossouw, Jannie Doep, J Smit, Ruan Pienaar, F Steyn, Butch

BJ Botha is still a better scrummager than Jannie. You can't not start Bekker. His work rate is ridiculous. I know ppl will go JdV on the wing? Yes. His experience is important and there is more than enough pace in the rest of the back line.

Butch covers 10,12, 13 F Steyn 11, 12, 13, 14 15. Ruan 9, 10, 15

Bakkies and Rossouw with 20 to go in a tight, defensive game works for me.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SARugby
Springbok assessment camp in CT
June 29, 2011
A Springbok preliminary Rugby World Cup squad has been called into camp in Cape Town from July 5 to 8 to begin preparations for the international season.
Stormers players will not attend if their team is involved in the Vodacom Super Rugby final. Charl McLeod (The Sharks) has been called in to the training squad in place of Ricky Januarie, who has retired from international rugby.

The players will undergo medical assessments to assist in selection for the Castle Tri-Nations Series. The squad for the first leg of the Series will be named on July 9.

Willem Alberts The Sharks 3
Gio Aplon DHL Western Province 13
Bjorn Basson Vodacom Blue Bulls 4
Andries Bekker DHL Western Province 24
Bakkies Botha Vodacom Blue Bulls 72
BJ Botha Munster 25
Heinrich Brüssow Toyota Free State Cheetahs 13
Schalk Burger DHL Western Province 63
Juan de Jongh DHL Western Province 6
Jean de Villiers DHL Western Province 67
Bismarck du Plessis The Sharks 36
Jannie du Plessis The Sharks 24
Fourie du Preez Vodacom Blue Bulls 55
Jaque Fourie DHL Western Province 62
Dean Greyling Vodacom Blue Bulls -
Bryan Habana DHL Western Province 68
Alistair Hargreaves The Sharks 2
Francois Hougaard Vodacom Blue Bulls 8
Adrian Jacobs The Sharks 32
Butch James MTN Golden Lions 40
Elton Jantjies MTN Golden Lions -
Ashley Johnson Toyota Free State Cheetahs -
Ryan Kankowski The Sharks 17
Zane Kirchner Vodacom Blue Bulls 14
Werner Kruger Vodacom Blue Bulls -
Patrick Lambie The Sharks 4
Francois Louw DHL Western Province 7
Charl McLeod The Sharks -
Victor Matfield Vodacom Blue Bulls 105
Tendai Mtawarira The Sharks 26
Johann Muller Ulster 23
Lwazi Mvovo The Sharks 2
Odwa Ndungane The Sharks 7
Wynand Olivier Vodacom Blue Bulls 32
Coenie Oosthuizen Toyota Free State Cheetahs -
Ruan Pienaar Ulster 47
JP Pietersen The Sharks 36
Chiliboy Ralepelle Vodacom Blue Bulls 18
Danie Rossouw Vodacom Blue Bulls 54
John Smit The Sharks 102
Juan Smith Toyota Free State Cheetahs 69
Pierre Spies Vodacom Blue Bulls 40
Gurthrö Steenkamp Vodacom Blue Bulls 31
Deon Stegmann Vodacom Blue Bulls 4
Frans Steyn Racing Metro 42
Morne Steyn Vodacom Blue Bulls 25
Adriaan Strauss Toyota Free State Cheetahs 9
Flip van der Merwe Vodacom Blue Bulls 10
Duane Vermeulen DHL Western Province -

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Steenkamp, Bismarck, Jannie du Plessis, Bekker, Matfield, Burger, Brussouw, Smith, du Preez, Steyn, Habana, de Villiers, Fourie, JP Pietersen, Francois Steyn.

Bench: Smit, Beast, Botha, Roussouw, Spies, Pienaar, Aplon

That would be my side. You saffas have a lot to choose from which is a bit of a luxury.
But I won't be suprised if PdV makes some silly selections.

Status
Not open for further replies.