• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bokke Tri Nation Squad/Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Righto our lot will fly over tonite Brussouw and Muller inclusive

SARugby
Muller, Brüssow included in Springbok tour squad
July 15, 2011
World Cup winner Johann Muller and star flanker Heinrich Brüssow were included in the Springbok squad on the away leg of the Castle Tri-Nations Series on Friday.
The pair have responded well to treatment and will be part of a 28-man party to take on Australia in Sydney on July 23 and New Zealand in Wellington a week later.

The squad includes World Cup-winning prop, CJ van der Linde, who was added as cover at the start of the week because of a number of injuries to leading front rankers. The 30-year-old DHL Western Province prop – who can play on either side of the scrum – has now been retained having trained well with the squad this week.

“Johann and Heinrich are very important to us this year and they'll continue their rehabilitation on tour,” said Peter de Villiers, Springbok coach.

“This squad is a good blend of experienced players, with Rugby World Cup titles behind their name, and the form players from Vodacom Super Rugby, with some outstanding potential. We’ve had some good field session this week and I’m excited about this tour.

“We’ve chosen from our Rugby World Cup preliminary squad – so the players know they’re in the selectors’ thinking for the tournament. I’ve told them that this is their chance to prove that they’re ready to take their place in the final squad.”

Following the overseas leg of the Series, the Springboks host Australia in Durban on August 13 before concluding the shortened series against New Zealand in Port Elizabeth on August 20. The final Rugby World Cup squad will be named on August 23.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Worried they will rush Brussow back too soon and he'll break again.

Johan Muller. I don't get it. Would rather have had van Zyl or the Cheetahs no 5.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Squad of 24 for Test against Australia
http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7082943,00.html
Backs: Gio Aplon, Frans Steyn, JP Pietersen, Bryan Habana, Jaque Fourie, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, Morne Steyn, Butch James, Ruan Pienaar, Fourie du Preez, Francois Hougaard.

Forwards: Pierre Spies, Jean Deysel, Danie Rossouw, Bakkies Botha, Victor Matfield Gerhard Mostert, John Smit (captain), Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira, Jannie du Plessis, Gurthrö Steenkamp, CJ van der Linde

Team of?

1. Beast
2. Smit (c)
3. du Plessis
4. Botha
5. Matfield
7. Rossouw
8. Spies
9. du Preez
10. James
11. Habana
12. de Villiers
13. Fourie
14. Pieterson
15. Steyn

16. du Plessis
17. van der Linde
18. Mostert
19. Deysel
20. Hougaard
21. de Jongh
22. Aplon

There was no fetcher named in the squad but I assume that will be Brussow once he completes his CC game?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
If Steyn is the 15, Boks essentially are giving up on any back three counter attacking, unless they move him to 10 for defensive situations and even that makes little sense. Whatever the remaining merits of Smit as a player and captain, it is ridiculous to leave Bismarck on the bench; he is the best hooker in the game and then there is daylight.

The Boks are more formidable with Bismarck at hooker, and Juan Smit on the park. A backrow of Smit, Brussow and Burger looks much stronger. Spies hasn't done anything for years and doesn't merit his selection

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
If Steyn is the 15, Boks essentially are giving up on any back three counter attacking, unless they move him to 10 for defensive situations and even that makes little sense.

Agreed. Teams aren't giving away many kickable penalties against the Boks these days, they know they don't have to as we offer little else. What good is Morne Steyn then?

Whatever the remaining merits of Smit as a player and captain, it is ridiculous to leave Bismarck on the bench; he is the best hooker in the game and then there is daylight.

I agree with this, but also Smit isn't as bad as many think (easy to ride the negative wave). He lacks game time so PDiv may elect to give him the game time even if he will start Bismarck at RWC. I don't know though, we'll have to see.

The Boks are more formidable with Bismarck at hooker, and Juan Smit on the park. A backrow of Smit, Brussow and Burger looks much stronger. Spies hasn't done anything for years and doesn't merit his selection

With Bismarck, and that back row we will offer more of a contest in the tackle area. You mean Juan Smith btw, and unfortunately he may still be injured. I think for the future Burger either needs to improve as a #8 or move to blindside. I don't think he is enough of a fetcher to compete at openside.

How the hell didn't Pat Lambie make that squad!?

Welcome to SA rugby :(

Status
Not open for further replies.