• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bokke Tri Nation Squad/Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
South Africa
FB 15 Percy Montgomery
RW 14 JP Pietersen
OC 13 Jaque Fourie
IC 12 François Steyn
LW 11 Bryan Habana
FH 10 Butch James
SH 9 Fourie du Preez
N8 8 Danie Rossouw
OF 7 Juan Smith
BF 6 Schalk Burger
RL 5 Victor Matfield
LL 4 Bakkies Botha
TP 3 CJ van der Linde
HK 2 John Smit (c)
LP 1 Os du Randt
Replacements:
HK 16 Bismarck du Plessis
PR 17 Jannie du Plessis
LK 18 Johannes Muller
FL 19 Wickus van Heerden
SH 20 Ruan Pienaar
FH 21 Andre Pretorius
CE 22 Wynand Olivier

That's the team that won the last world cup final. Going off Paarlbok's squad, that would make 13 players carried over; even more were in the RWC squad, this is just one of the teams that ran out in 07.

This might be handy at crunch time this year.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No more camps
Superrugby
National Planning Camp concludes in Durban

boks110613durbanBG.jpg

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers said the second national planning camp had achieved all its objectives when it concluded on Monday.

Thirty seven players gathered in Durban on Sunday and Monday for a series of meetings in preparation for the coming international season.

“Getting together after Saturday’s tough Vodacom Super Rugby matches, with winners and losers in the same room, presented its challenges,” said de Villiers. “But the players were quickly on the same page and focusing on the national cause for a few hours.

“There were different components to the camp and we had medical and logistical sessions as well some required photo-shoots but the most important part was spent on technical rugby matters so that our planning will be fully in place for when the international season kicks off next month.

“I’m very happy with our planning to date. We are at a more advanced stage in our preparations than we have ever been before and I have to thank the franchises for releasing players for these short camps to help make it possible.” De Villiers said that the third national camp – due to take place in Johannesburg on Sunday and Monday – had been cancelled due to potential Vodacom Super Rugby commitments.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Would have thought the backrow would be Smith, Brussow and Burger?

That is the back row most fans want to see.

I guess it comes down to whether the coaches think Schalk can play 8 at International level.

T

TheNextBigThing

Also depends on how quickly Smith can return to form.

If the Boks do run this formation I for one would be worried. That'll be the most skillful and mobile back-row in the comp by a country mile.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
The amazing depth SA has is highlighted by the quality of players left out. I also appreciate the way SA picks players with proven class and experience - Habana; Du Preez; and Spies. Far less 'knee-jerk' selections based off a single good Super season.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I also appreciate them picking Habana and Spies.

Those are the only two dodgy selections. I think they are either going to come good in the 3N and legitimately start as no 1 or fail and the selectors will be forced to drop them.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Steenkamp, Bismark, Janine Du Plessis, Matfield, Bekker, Burger, Brussouw, Smith, du Preez, Steyn, Habana, De Villiers, Fourie, JP Pietersen, Francois Steyn

That's a side that can win the WC. I'd also like point out that Brussouw frequently packs at number 8 for the Cheetahs at scrum-time, so I would be using that as a major reason to include Smith and Burger over Spies

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Steenkamp, Bismark, Janine Du Plessis, Matfield, Bekker, Burger, Brussouw, Smith, du Preez, Steyn, Habana, De Villiers, Fourie, JP Pietersen, Francois Steyn

That's a side that can win the WC. I'd also like point out that Brussouw frequently packs at number 8 for the Cheetahs at scrum-time, so I would be using that as a major reason to include Smith and Burger over Spies

EXACTLY.

Listen to the man :)

The Cheetahs essentially play two opensides when Brussow is fit. He packs at 8 on defense, allowing him and the other guy to both get the the gain line at the same time.

He and Schulk doing that will be so potent.

I have been banging on about this.

Aplon ahead of Habana by some margin else it's good for me.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ja hope so , I have a huge problem with our lot picking this NH players. It irritate me like shite that SA players like Sarel Petorius and Basson have to stand on the sidelines for the likes of Pienaar and spoiled brat Steyn. Hope they rectify this when the WC is over.

Get used to it. There will be more players leaving. More players are going to start playing overseas and coaches are going to be forced to pick them. Not saying it is right or wrong but its' reality.

Money talks. There's no way of getting away from that.

Brits is sensational. Imagine him coming on with 15 minutes to go in a test? It would be awesome. Defenses in Europe fear him more than most backs.

By the way Mujati should be the one they bring in. The best TH in England this year. Would add a lot of value to the Bok squad.

S

StonerJack

I would love to see the Boks give Lambie a go during the 3N because I think that kid could be the difference for them come world cup time. Imagine a fresh Lambie coming on to replace M.Steyn with 20 minutes to go against a wilting forward pack! It would be magic. From what I've seen of him this season he seems to have great skills and could be used as a utility type replacement? I'm limited in my knowledge of him though. Has he had any significant time in positions other than 10 before?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I would love to see the Boks give Lambie a go during the 3N because I think that kid could be the difference for them come world cup time. Imagine a fresh Lambie coming on to replace M.Steyn with 20 minutes to go against a wilting forward pack! It would be magic. From what I've seen of him this season he seems to have great skills and could be used as a utility type replacement? I'm limited in my knowledge of him though. Has he had any significant time in positions other than 10 before?

Has played 12 and 15 at Super Rugby level and cc level.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Get used to it. There will be more players leaving. More players are going to start playing overseas and coaches are going to be forced to pick them. Not saying it is right or wrong but its' reality.

Money talks. There's no way of getting away from that.

Brits is sensational. Imagine him coming on with 15 minutes to go in a test? It would be awesome. Defenses in Europe fear him more than most backs.

By the way Mujati should be the one they bring in. The best TH in England this year. Would add a lot of value to the Bok squad.

I'll never get use to it. Playing those NH lot leave us with a lose lose situation and motivate more young players to trek up north. The same rules Aus and NZ have about this should apply in SA Rugby aswell. Brits above Strauss , you must be joking. I wont pick him above Fourie at the Stormers. These lot are use to slow motion rugby.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll never get use to it. Playing those NH lot leave us with a lose lose situation and motivate more young players to trek up north. The same rules Aus and NZ have about this should apply in SA Rugby aswell. Brits above Strauss , you must be joking. I wont pick him above Fourie at the Stormers. These lot are use to slow motion rugby.

Nonsense. He was sensational over the last two years. His scrummaging is better than it used to be as well.

You are just being bitter about it.

Deon Fourie fell to pieces against the Bulls and you'd rather have him? Be my guest Oom, we;ll have the lineout ball and dominate the scrums thanks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nonsense. He was sensational over the last two years. His scrummaging is better than it used to be as well.

You are just being bitter about it.

Deon Fourie fell to pieces against the Bulls and you'd rather have him? Be my guest Oom, we;ll have the lineout ball and dominate the scrums thanks.

Komaan Blou, it was even worse when Brits played. You obvious quickly forgot the Loftus game. Anyway for me it isnt about the players we are talking about, its the system. Jake White started this shite. Snor try his outmost best to try and get them to play in SA but spoiled brat Steyn leave the path for Pienaar and all the others to follow. We dont want rugby to get to the poofball way, playing all over the show, we need our best to play in SA to get the arses on the benches and to make our local product stronger.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Komaan Blou, it was even worse when Brits played. You obvious quickly forgot the Loftus game. Anyway for me it isnt about the players we are talking about, its the system. Jake White started this shite. Snor try his outmost best to try and get them to play in SA but spoiled brat Steyn leave the path for Pienaar and all the others to follow. We dont want rugby to get to the poofball way, playing all over the show, we need our best to play in SA to get the arses on the benches and to make our local product stronger.

Yes. WAS. The NH game forced him to work on his scrummaging.

I would pick Brits as the second hooker behind Battleship every day of the week.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Yes. WAS. The NH game forced him to work on his scrummaging.

I would pick Brits as the second hooker behind Battleship every day of the week.

I completely agree that Brits and Mujati have improved their set piece play in the NH but I'm not so sure I agree that this automatically makes them good choices.

The theory goes that the NH sides always have good scrums if nothing else. It's true that there have been times when they dominated the Springbok scrum, but that hasn't been for a while, and it was never set in stone anyway. We know that a tight 5 can dominate one week, and the next be dominated. The AB scrum very seldom struggles against NH sides, yet it's about 50/50 who gets the upper hand in a Boks vs AB game.

I'd definitely like to see Mujati tried out in the tri-nations as I don't completely rate the current SA depth at tighthead. However, I wouldn't place money on him being a revelation.

We have plenty of good hookers in SA, so Brits is more difficult, but I would like to see what he could do too.

(Hi, first post here, seems like a good site for rugby discussions rather than flamewars)

Status
Not open for further replies.