• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I'm a big fan of Hooper as a test player, but a good player doesn't always make a good captain, just as a good player/captain doesn't always make a good coach. You would remember Wally Lewis at Seagulls NRL club. He was given the nick-name "Mini bus", because he was only "half a coach"!!

My point is who is a better option? It's easy to criticise a selection. It's difficult to name a better one. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Captain from the wing? If he was a good captain he'd be showing more leadership now.

T

Train Without a Station

Did we lose any of those 3?

You are aware it's possible to not play well enough in a winning team, right?

It would be completely fair to look at those games and say, "we can't win the rugby championship with Foley at 10".

I think he has always been out best option with Cooper injured, but I understand the logic even if I don't necessarily agree.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done to the Argies, well played.

But it wasn't on your shoulders alone was it?

Picking on the last 10 minutes.
The Skelton high call I've never seen called for a maul before, I've seen people try to rip others heads off but never seen a ref pull it up.
Two dads getting belted in the jaw was right in front of the assistant ref and should of been a yellow but the ball was turned over as he was knocked out.
The lasers, the IRB or World Rugby what ever their name is needs to do something about it as the home team won't, if it helps them win a game, like it did. I'd suggest if it's a penalty kick it's a penalty try, if it's a conversion it's a reset kick if it's missed and a penalty, we'd never see it happen again ever!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Re the National Anthem, I missed it but Mrs Doug was really pissed off with it. As I said about 20 pages ago, "there are more ways to defeat a touring team than during the 80 minutes on the field"! Surely a prerequisite of being given the honour of singing a nation's Anthem, is that you can, in fact speak that nation's language?! There must have been at least one member of the Wallabies touring group that could have done a better job than that 'tosser'?!!
Next time the Pumas tour Oz, we should divert their plane to Leonora (WA) because of an Ebola scare, then de-contaminate their luggage with a foul-smelling (but non-toxic) chemical, and when they eventually get to the ground, (10 minutes before kick-off), during their National Anthem, (sung by Jess Mauboy in an obscure aboriginal tongue), we should have a row of laser lights as part of the pre-match entertainment, conveniently "jammed" so that it targets all the players' eyes!!

That should do it!

Found the perfect tour bus for them:
BrokenBus2.jpg

abrixon

Bob McCowan (2)
To'omua going off was the first blow for us. I really like Horne I think his defence is absolute class (he saved a certain try when he first came on) however his attacking process is to run first and look to past second, which is not the current Wallaby style. When Phipps got the Yellow, we lost all attacking mojo because Foley was playing half back. Hooper or Horne should have moved to 9 for that 10 minutes. I was disappointed with Tomane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I know possession was minimal but in games like this your wingers need to be looking for the ball to help your forwards in attack after their tireless defensive efforts.

For mine im glad we got that game out of the way. Last weeks implosion v the Boks would have taken it out of them mentally and physically and it looks like its a hellish journey from Cape Town to Mendoza and of course the distraction of Beale and the in flight drama as well as the release of Robbie Deans book. Time to regroup and throw absolutely everything at the AB's in 2 weeks then a 5 game tour to Europe to get our sh!t together and work out our 31 man squad for the RWC.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
My point is who is a better option? It's easy to criticise a selection. It's difficult to name a better one. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Captain from the wing? If he was a good captain he'd be showing more leadership now.

I'm Tah Man in disguise but I am starting to align myself with the thinkers that Hooper isn't the best option for captain..I think whichever of Moore or Pocock returns to the Wobs first will walk into the job and until then it probably will remain Hooper.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can't captain from the wing. Call me old school but I am of the view that as the 5/8 tends to direct the traffic anyway, they are generally the default pick for captain, provided of course they possess leadership qualities. I don't know how much of those Foley has but at face value I could think of worse choices than any of Foley, QC (Quade Cooper) or To'omua (whichever ends up at 10).

All that said, if Hooper were to be removed I would be inclined to think Slipper would get the interim gig.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey everyone! Check it out: a broken clock that can type

I'm not saying Hooper can't be captain ever again, but on the evidence of the last month, he's not getting it right at the moment.

But if you're looking for "worst decision Link ever made" you should probably start with failing to start the Super Rugby winning halves combo in Sydney.

This campaign could have been a LOT different if we'd won that game and got a roll on at the start.

Your right, forgot the Beale attempt thing at 10 again.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
To'omua going off was the first blow for us. I really like Horne I think his defence is absolute class (he saved a certain try when he first came on) however his attacking process is to run first and look to past second, which is not the current Wallaby style.

Not counting today, To'omua's RC+Bled record as a starter is 2 from 8.

Let's be realistic about his value and the virtues of the current wallaby "style".

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You are aware it's possible to not play well enough in a winning team, right?

It would be completely fair to look at those games and say, "we can't win the rugby championship with Foley at 10".

I think he has always been out best option with Cooper injured, but I understand the logic even if I don't necessarily agree.

Of course. But why change a winning combination? Even if White was stinking it up against the French in Sydney, have the continuity there and build on it.

Beale has pretty much put a line through his name as a 10, and maybe as a Wallaby at this point. There was NOTHING to suggest he deserved it ahead of Foley, and two weeks against the All Blacks underscored this as a fact.

Going back to lasers for a second: its a matter of the captain stating in no uncertain terms that he'll take his team from the field unless it stops. Win, lose, or draw, someone has to take a stance.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Let's be realistic about his value and the virtues of the current wallaby "style".

You can't blame To'omua for the other 22 players either.

He's had bad games, and rarely looked great this year even at Super level, but he's a class player overall.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

yeah, To'omua's been pretty crap lately and I think what him going off today proved was that at present we don't have a viable alternative at 12..what's the view on QC (Quade Cooper) playing there? I'm not advocating it, just curious as to the opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
yeah, To'omua's been pretty crap lately and I think what him going off today proved was that at present we don't have a viable alternative at 12..what's the view on QC (Quade Cooper) playing there? I'm not advocating it, just curious as to the opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself.
No.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I don't watch any diveball, much less read about it or follow the vibe of things in that game.

Do they have an issue with laser pointers being used offensively against players in that game in South America and/or Argentina?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
You can't blame To'omua for the other 22 players either.

He's had bad games, and rarely looked great this year even at Super level, but he's a class player overall.

yes he is Pfitzy and I'm a believer, but every other player gets pole-axed on here when they are out of form and I don't see why he should be an exception!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I am sure others have already said it (I have not read back through the pages) but well done Los Pumas for their fist RC win. Shame it had to be us but well deserved today.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.