• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Re the National Anthem, I missed it but Mrs Doug was really pissed off with it. As I said about 20 pages ago, "there are more ways to defeat a touring team than during the 80 minutes on the field"! Surely a prerequisite of being given the honour of singing a nation's Anthem, is that you can, in fact speak that nation's language?! There must have been at least one member of the Wallabies touring group that could have done a better job than that 'tosser'?!!
Next time the Pumas tour Oz, we should divert their plane to Leonora (WA) because of an Ebola scare, then de-contaminate their luggage with a foul-smelling (but non-toxic) chemical, and when they eventually get to the ground, (10 minutes before kick-off), during their National Anthem, (sung by Jess Mauboy in an obscure aboriginal tongue), we should have a row of laser lights as part of the pre-match entertainment, conveniently "jammed" so that it targets all the players' eyes!!

That should do it!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Have you ever captained a team? I've done it a couple of times. One was my most enjoyable year of rugby I ever had. Another time it was a group that just could not be lead.
Yeah, there are 2 sides to it. The Captain leading, and keeping control, but also a group of experienced rugby players doing their bit to not give away stupid penalties, to execute their roles more accurately and to provide support to the guy in charge. McCaw / Read are not good at it just because of who they are, but largely because the team allows itself to be led well, and they all know what they need to do, what they should do, and what they shouldn't.
There are plenty of guys in the team who have been around Super and Test rugby plenty long enough who know better, or should do.
Hooper is struggling, but the group is not helping it either.
Installing a new guy might help a little, but everyone needs to take a moment to reflect on their own roles in this team, and what they ought to be doing better for themselves, and it. They look a disparate group to me.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't agree it was the right choice and still is ATM. He will grow. And will be a fine as captain.

Reigning JE medalist. One of the best players and first selected. Captain of a super rugby championship team. Don't know of too many better options.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Reigning JE medalist. One of the best players and first selected. Captain of a super rugby championship team. Don't know of too many better options.
I think Moore was the right choice but let's remember he doesn't have the experience either. But yeah Hooper is one of the only garenteed selections at the moment.

T

Train Without a Station

Sorry and let's remember, Hooper isn't the first choice captain anyway!

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree with Pfitzy, Cyclo and Kate, that Hooper isn't a captain (at this level, anyway). I hate the idea of "Co-Captains", Brisbane Lions AFL team had FIVE Co-Captains when they first started, pretty dumb stuff, IMO! Select a Vice Captain that would be less likely to be replaced if (and when) the Captain is, or send a msg from the coach "XYZ, take control".

I think the issue is that the captain (at least Hooper) isn't subbed and continues to be ineffective.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its games like this we miss Mowens Captaincy.. He seemed to rarely get on the wrong side of the ref.

I remember one game the ref said said Ben sort them out to which Ben, don't you worry I'm going to tear them a new one. Then proceeded to spray the team in a huddle.

I think Link missed when he subbed on Skelton for Horwill. We are short on experience in the pack and a leader and Carter should have made way.

Horwill may not be at his best but he is a leader in pack. We missed that in the championship mintues.
I'd nearly considered Horwill past it but thought he was a standout in his defensive effort until he was hooked, particularly off our own line. He made some telling tackles when the Argies were all over us towards the end of the first half one of which saved a near certain try. His line out work good too and he otherwise lead by example with his carries and cleanout work. Can't see him being an 80 min performer but he delivered in his return to the starting side.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In a team well-drilled like the ABs, players, especially the more senior ones (and they have plenty) just know what they have to do. The Captain can focus on critical decisions and ref management. McCaw is generally very good at both. It does make it a lot easier, no doubt.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I call bullshit on that and I have not seen the game yet. They have been close to beating both us and the Jarpies a few times in the past couple of seasons. Today was the day apparently.
Great for them but not exactly a fatal blow for Wallaby rugby.

Perhaps not, but it's not going to end up on the highlights reel either is it?

T

Train Without a Station

In Deans second year we won 42% of our games. If we lose to the AB's and win 3/5 on he EOYT and would be a bad tour, we'd still win more than 50% of our games.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Worse decision Link ever made making him a Captain. I bought this up a few games back and was hammered. Glade to see there finally coming around.

Hey everyone! Check it out: a broken clock that can type

I'm not saying Hooper can't be captain ever again, but on the evidence of the last month, he's not getting it right at the moment.

But if you're looking for "worst decision Link ever made" you should probably start with failing to start the Super Rugby winning halves combo in Sydney.

This campaign could have been a LOT different if we'd won that game and got a roll on at the start.

T

Train Without a Station

A poor performing player being selected isn't a bad decision if he is the best option available.

T

Train Without a Station

Form is a key factor in selection. Particularly combinations.

I should have specified I was referencing Hooper.

Phipps over White is possible an error but we need to remember Foley got first opportunity and in 3 tests didn't cement a spot.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

I'm a big fan of Hooper as a test player, but a good player doesn't always make a good captain, just as a good player/captain doesn't always make a good coach. You would remember Wally Lewis at Seagulls NRL club. He was given the nick-name "Mini bus", because he was only "half a coach"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.