• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

If he can't contest without what happened this morning, he has an obligation to refrain from contesting, yes.

So you are saying that in this situation, Michael Hooper, or any other defending player in his position should have just let him kick the ball uncontested?

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
So you are saying that in this situation, Michael Hooper, or any other defending player in his position should have just let him kick the ball uncontested?

I'm not sure what it is you don't understand about this.

If you end up colliding with the kicker's head, be it with your ass, your lower back, your balls or your foot or whatever, you're going to get a 10 minute rest. If your chargedown technique is so primitive that it causes that to happen, then you either need to improve your technique, or not go for the chargedown.

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
Imo Hooper's chargedown is definitely a penalty, although very unlucky to be a yellow card. However, if you listen to Owens he seemed to say that the card was not just for that offence but repeated team offences and general bad discipline. This is probably a product of Hooper's management which was severely lacking throughout. Nigel took both captains aside around the 60th minute and asked them to have a chat to their teams about discipline. Hooper said that he had already spoken to his team a few times that half to which Nigel replied, "well they arent listening". That pretty much sums up the discipline today and you have to blame the players and captain for that (not the ref).

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah, those grubbers. While I could see the opportunity with the alignment of the Argie defence, the execution was awful.
Just another page in the Wallaby "Can't kick for shit" book.

also that big kick straight down Tuculet's throat..although in fairness we were starting to get in panic mode then and I think he was just trying to get the play down the other end.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not sure what it is you don't understand about this.

If you end up colliding with the kicker's head, be it with your ass, your lower back, your balls or your foot or whatever, you're going to get a 10 minute rest. If your chargedown technique is so primitive that it causes that to happen, then you either need to improve your technique, or not go for the chargedown.

I'd love to know your insight onto how Hooper should have better executed a charge down.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Folau's general rugby tactic and strategy knowledge is borderline non-existant. He's clueless about what to do in counter-attack so he runs across the paddock (slowly) and eventually into contact meekly. His kicking execution is awful.

He's an excellent runner in space with good offloading ability and there's the much talked about high-ball collection skills.

I would rather AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays 15 with Folau on the wing, but I've been down that road before here and it was unpopular.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
for someone who was poached to play AFL he is surprisingly poor with his kicking..which is probably why he doesn't do much of it..very unusual for a fullback.
1. They don't grubber much in AFL, so not sure if that is relevant.
2. He actually can kick a decent distance but seemingly has been poorly coached in Rugby as to when to do it, and what type of kick is required.

For example, when he has a kick return, I have been surprised he doesn't up-and-under it more often, given his excellence at catching the high ball. It is a glaring oversight in his coaching that this area has been poorly addressed. I have absolutely no doubt it could be vastly improved in an off-season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Media Release from ARU Media Unit about the Welcome Reception of the Wallabies has just been issued.

pitchfork-and-torches.jpg

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I guess so. The obligation is on the defender to not put the defenseless kicker in danger. If meeting that obligation reduces the efficacy of your chargedowns, then so be it. Tough shit, I guess. There's no law, written or implied, that provides some natural right for the defender to contest the flight of the ball regardless of the consequences.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Izzy was amazing last night, every time he touched the ball he threatened the line, he is our best fullback by a large margin. Last night in an apparent quiet night for him, this is what he did.
Run metres: 111
Clean Breaks: 3
Defenders beaten: 7
Offloads: 7
Secured so many high balls as well, people have a short term memory if they can't remember having your heart in your mouth every time KB (Kurtley Beale) or anyone else bar Izzy goes up for a catch.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
1. They don't grubber much in AFL, so not sure if that is relevant.
2. He actually can kick a decent distance but seemingly has been poorly coached in Rugby as to when to do it, and what type of kick is required.

For example, when he has a kick return, I have been surprised he doesn't up-and-under it more often, given his excellence at catching the high ball. It is a glaring oversight in his coaching that this area has been poorly addressed. I have absolutely no doubt it could be vastly improved in an off-season.

all good points but I was referring to his kicking prowess in general, although it's noted I replied to your comments specifically relating to the grubber..

execution seems to be the general issue with most of our backs ATM, particularly kicking..

T

Train Without a Station

I guess so. The obligation is on the defender to not put the defenseless kicker in danger. If meeting that obligation reduces the efficacy of your chargedowns, then so be it. Tough shit, I guess. There's no law, written or implied, that provides some natural right for the defender to contest the flight of the ball regardless of the consequences.

There is not law that says it's illegal to jump to contest a charge down and make contact with the kicker. It is illegal to make a late attempt and make contact. It is illegal to lead with knees, elbows or shoulder. It is not illegal to turn to minimise the impact.

Iñaki Zubizarreta

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah at last we did it!!!! I'm really happy, guys.. we were confident to get a win, despite of the bad beginning.. what a relief

In first place, I'm really sorry about the dickhead with the laser. But I think you didn't lost because of that, you can't blame on that. Yes, it's a completely disrespect but it's hard to control the human stupidity. I'm sure the union directives will take hands on that issue. It was a shame, I'm sorry.

About the match, we still have some lack of concentration and focus. We made early errors and pay for them. You know our play is in the forwards pack, and we did that simply. Possession and getting the game far of our in-goal.

May be Owens made some unfortunate calls for you in the last scrums, that's our strength and he knew it. He did omit as well some yellow cards for some wallabies. In the big picture, I consider Owens did not affect the result. He even took the right decision letting that Wob in the field and removing the card.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Izzy was amazing last night, every time he touched the ball he threatened the line, he is our best fullback by a large margin. Last night in an apparent quiet night for him, this is what he did.
Run metres: 111
Clean Breaks: 3
Defenders beaten: 7
Offloads: 7
Secured so many high balls as well, people have a short term memory if they can't remember having your heart in your mouth every time KB (Kurtley Beale) or anyone else bar Izzy goes up for a catch.

there was certainly no criticism of his general play, just that his kicking execution needs work

Status
Not open for further replies.