• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I've known a number of Australian born and raised 'Kiwis' in my time. Hell, half of them had never even visited NZ but still declared themselves so. Which I never got my head around. Hell, thanks to a quirk of Irish law being that I have at least one parent born in Ireland and having lived there until at least their 18th birthday I was born an dual Australian/Irish citizen. So technically I'm Irish. But seeing as I was born and raised here. Outside of being able to cut lines at Heathrow thanks to my holding an Irish passport I certainly don't identify as Irish.

It's really odd isn't it. I guess if Rugby Australia survives 60 years more then we'll see some more supporters. You can't treat supporting NZ/Aus like supporting Liverpool or Essendon because your granddad did. Imagine being Australian but supporting NZ 'cause your granddad was a kiwi or something. Nuts. @kiwi fans pls explain

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The massive difference in this argument is NZ Warriors, they are not well supported and a lot of the kiwis who play league and union in Melbourne choose to support Storm. They don't choose to support the Rebels and will go for any of the 5 kiwi teams playing in Melbourne over the Rebels.

Rebels could actually attract more local support with out TT because those Kiwi's would not have another team to watch live with only SRAU. I always found it funny that a Blues fan who hates the Crusaders for example would still support the Crusaders this week if they were against the Rebels, but would support the Rebels next week against any Aus or SA team. Have your home team, but if you live in Melbourne then make the Rebels your second team and commit to it. Don't make them 6th choice.
That is true and you make a very fair point, but part of the reason Kiwis don’t get behind the warriors and go for the Storm are because the Warriors are shit and the Storm great and well it’s been the inverse in Union

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also their is the support for the Rebels look at their first year when people weren’t sick of them losing all the time yet they got big crowds if they won straight away like the Storm did the crowds wouldn’t have dropped off

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
This is where you are dead wrong. I know so many 'kiwis' who are born and bread Australians, might've visited NZ once, but support the All Blacks due to a parent. I doubt their kids would be any different, if they are raised to support the All Blacks.

And by so many i mean i know two people...

Couple of my mates from Brisbane who's sons were born in Aus had no problems with kids supporting Reds and bought them jerseys etc, and they were most oneeyed kiwi supporters you coud get, just let the kids support who they wanted. Not sure if they ever let them support Wallabies though;) Actually another mate who was an avid AB supporter always supported Reds, and it helped he had son in academy a few years back.
I when I was in Brisbane up to last year always supported Reds against anyone but Kiwi teams, and went to almost every Reds game over last few years, funnily enough I usually just wear a light AB jacket whenever I go to rugby, and boy did I cop some crap, even to the point of being asked by a few what I thought I was doing at Reds/Tahs match, and copped it at Brumbies game too. Not a problem or anything it was only a few, and nowhere near the majority or anything.
And I will add my son in law who lives here in NZ generally supports any Aus team in super rugby, a niece also has an Aussie hubby, I will have to check with him who his 3rd and 4th teams are, he a Canes and Rebel's man.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Couple of my mates from Brisbane who's sons were born in Aus had no problems with kids supporting Reds and bought them jerseys etc, and they were most oneeyed kiwi supporters you coud get, just let the kids support who they wanted. Not sure if they ever let them support Wallabies though;) Actually another mate who was an avid AB supporter always supported Reds, and it helped he had son in academy a few years back.
I when I was in Brisbane up to last year always supported Reds against anyone but Kiwi teams, and went to almost every Reds game over last few years, funnily enough I usually just wear a light AB jacket whenever I go to rugby, and boy did I cop some crap, even to the point of being asked by a few what I thought I was doing at Reds/Tahs match, and copped it at Brumbies game too. Not a problem or anything it was only a few, and nowhere near the majority or anything.
I have mates who are kiwis and their kids support the Rebels and ABs despite being Australian. While the old man sill goes for his NZ side. On a side note there is nothing I hate more than kids of Kiwis who say they are AB fans and then support Aus in cricket

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have mates who are kiwis and their kids support the Rebels and ABs despite being Australian. While the old man sill goes for his NZ side. On a side note there is nothing I hate more than kids of Kiwis who say they are AB fans and then support Aus in cricket
Well, that won't be happening much anymore since they are better than us in both (for fuck sake).

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

Yep mate, but they are just looking to back winners. I just don't even bother with them.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Err kiwis are currently number one ranked test side so test cricket not a good analogy at this point
So what? It was 89/90 the last time they beat us in a test series and couldn’t even take one test to the final day last year and make it a contest. Yeah they beat up on the West Indies and a weak Pakistan who was missing Babar Azam at home but don’t let that fool you

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
as an ex kiwi who has lived here for the past 40 years,is if you choose to live in another country you should embrace that country

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
stuff.co.nz are this morning reporting that a TT bubble framework will go to NZ cabinet for approval on Monday & if approved could take effect by mid-April.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/1...bble-expected-to-start-by-the-middle-of-april

Just finished reading that to WOB (us retired people get out of bed and read news a little later than you workers:p) and was just coming in here to note that too. Shows how bloody much I know, I thought for sure with the couple of little outbreaks it would be at least end of year. I am now getting quite hopeful so will give a little yehaa.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I'm enjoying these elaborate mental gymnastics of trying to reationalise 'Straya as still having a better test cricket team, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It'll be something to deeply ponder as we smeckledorf India in the test final at Lords.

3yhfeLF.gif

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm enjoying these elaborate mental gymnastics of trying to reationalise 'Straya as still having a better test cricket team, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It'll be something to deeply ponder as we smeckledorf India in the test final at Lords.

3yhfeLF.gif
NZ getting to no.1 in cricket is the equivalent of when Ireland reached no.1 in rugby. Decent team but won nothing and played hardly anyone with an extremely favorable fixture list over the years to reach there.

They have played 2 away test series in over 4 years. One which they were humiliated in. The rest of the series include home matches against Bangladesh x 2, West Indies x 2, Pakistan x 2, India, Sri Lanka and England. They are a good team but have managed to avoid the big away tours India, England, South Africa. The only big away tour they did play they were thrashed.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
NZ getting to no.1 in cricket is the equivalent of when Ireland reached no.1 in rugby. Decent team but won nothing and played hardly anyone with an extremely favorable fixture list over the years to reach there.

They have played 2 away test series in over 4 years. One which they were humiliated in. The rest of the series include home matches against Bangladesh x 2, West Indies x 2, Pakistan x 2, India, Sri Lanka and England. They are a good team but have managed to avoid the big away tours India, England, South Africa. The only big away tour they did play they were thrashed.

That's quite good, but any team can only play and beat teams that are brave enough to play them;). Cricket Australia know they have a bloody good team (and groundsmen:D) that plays superbly on it's own pitches, so play a hell of a lot at home where they win everything , well except for India. Seems they beat everyone at gabba, just as Paine in the middle of a test match what they do to teams next time there:p. They have got it worked out well, and good on them. Not sure that Ausralia has a great record away from home lately, but don't really follow it real hard enough to say.

Sorry but Derpus is right and I want it to go to 1000 pages!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
as an ex kiwi who has lived here for the past 40 years,is if you choose to live in another country you should embrace that country

Why? You can embrace another country without supporting their teams.I am of firm belief if you support a team you never change, and moving doesn't mean you do. Not sure if you ever talked to anyone from NSW who has spent whole life in Qld come SOO time? There are too many half pie supposters that change alliances!!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.