• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why? You can embrace another country without supporting their teams.I am of firm belief if you support a team you never change, and moving doesn't mean you do. Not sure if you ever talked to anyone from NSW who has spent whole life in Qld come SOO time? There are too many half pie supposters that change alliances!!:p

This makes some sense for the first generation of migrants. Maybe.

It's the next generation that stink a little.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
This makes some sense for the first generation of migrants. Maybe.

It's the next generation that stink a little.

Up to a point, so you saying all the boys of Island descent should not be supporting the Islands? And it doesn't really stand up if you can represent the country your Grandparent were born , so if you can play for them, surely you can support tham. Though I tend to go along with your thoughts Derpus, who you support is who your heart follows , not by residential boundaries. This doesn't excuse those that follow a team just because they win! I used to work with a young fella born in NZ whose parents were Welsh and he always supported Welsh, I never thought he didn't have the right to do that.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I mean, obviously it's not binary right. They should just support both. But yeah, I tend to think you should support the place you actually live in and were born in.

Im not hugely patriotic but there's nothing wrong with a little bit of it in sport.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm enjoying these elaborate mental gymnastics of trying to reationalise 'Straya as still having a better test cricket team, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It'll be something to deeply ponder as we smeckledorf India in the test final at Lords.

3yhfeLF.gif
Just like when AB fans still claim they are the best side in the world despite South Africa having the number one ranking

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Just like when AB fans still claim they are the best side in the world despite South Africa having the number one ranking

Well could be , but I an All Black fan and don't claim they the best. So perhaps you may not be talking to proper AB fans.;)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Look all fan bases have rational fans and irrational ones

Yep mate, I understand. I know a few mates Wallaby fans insist that NZ have so many PI players they call them 4 Islands, until I point out in last WC Wallabies had more overseas born players in starting backline than NZ did in whole squad probably:D. As you say we all have our strange ones.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep mate, I understand. I know a few mates Wallaby fans insist that NZ have so many PI players they call them 4 Islands, until I point out in last WC Wallabies had more overseas born players in starting backline than NZ did in whole squad probably:D. As you say we all have our strange ones.
Yeah that argument is very pot and kettle. Both immigrant countries.

At least it makes sense for us though with big Islander populations in both countries...... unlike the home nations. Billy V, for example, was born in Sydney to Tongan parents and then moved to Wales, but somehow trots out for England.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

At least it makes sense for us though with big Islander populations in both countries.. unlike the home nations. Billy V, for example, was born in Sydney to Tongan parents and then moved to Wales, but somehow trots out for England.

I actually have little issue with the likes of the Vunipolas playing for England. As they moved there when they were young children and have played most if not all of their Rugby in the English system. It's a very similar situation as to both NZ and Aus. Most of the foreign born guys moved here at young ages.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I actually have little issue with the likes of the Vunipolas playing for England. As they moved there when they were young children and have played most if not all of their Rugby in the English system. It's a very similar situation as to both NZ and Aus. Most of the foreign born guys moved here at young ages.

Actually these days more NZ born players play for the Islands than vice versa by quite a margin.
I don't even mind those that go to countries and live there that play for country, I think 5 years is enough time to decide where you want to live, I prefer it to 3 years and prefer that rule to grandparent rule or even parent rule.
But as Derpus said we both immigrant countries.
I only mentioned it to help get to the magical 1000 page mark;)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

Spot on and even someone like Tupou who moved to Aus for the rugby, I have no problem, see there has been a few through the years that have like Irae Simone born and raised in NZ, and now going as a Wallaby, who was the kiwi inside centre a few years bac, played super in NZ and then moved? Have no problems with him eith, same as anyone going to NH to do it. It called being consistent fellas!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

Spot on and even someone like Tupou who moved to Aus for the rugby, I have no problem, see there has been a few through the years that have like Irae Simone born and raised in NZ, and now going as a Wallaby, who was the kiwi inside centre a few years bac, played super in NZ and then moved? Have no problems with him either, same as anyone going to NH to do it. It called being consistent fellas!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

At least it makes sense for us though with big Islander populations in both countries.. unlike the home nations. Billy V, for example, was born in Sydney to Tongan parents and then moved to Wales, but somehow trots out for England.

Like Toby Faletau they are second generation rugby players. Their Dads moved to the UK to play professional rugby.

The Vunipolas both went to high school in England (albeit very close to Wales) at least for the start of high school. Not sure if the family was all living in England by then.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Like Toby Faletau they are second generation rugby players. Their Dads moved to the UK to play professional rugby.

The Vunipolas both went to high school in England (albeit very close to Wales) at least for the start of high school. Not sure if the family was all living in England by then.

Yep and as said none from us down here are any different,(Aus and NZ) so I think the days of calling out NH teams from importing players should be well and truly over, funny how so many only see what other countries do is wrong, aren't Aus also waiting for someone's residency to come up at moment , but he been training with Wallabies??

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The changing face of Australian rugby. While I love what they bring to the game I think we have to be careful. The influx of overseas born players signals how poor the pathways have been here

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep and as said none from us down here are any different,(Aus and NZ) so I think the days of calling out NH teams from importing players should be well and truly over, funny how so many only see what other countries do is wrong, aren't Aus also waiting for someone's residency to come up at moment , but he been training with Wallabies??
Who’s residency are we waiting on? Look I think with the powerful nations and poaching it’s an issue for the game, we do it to a lesser extent. Japan is becoming the worst. Getting 14 year olds to come over for school and making them sign stuff to say when they become eligible they will play for Japan.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The only countries I have a problem with are Scotland and Ireland who both proactively identify already professional players and pay them 3/5yrs worth of salary to become eligible. I have no issue if someone moves to a country and then through hard work finds themselves on a professional pathway. It’s the Bundee Aki, James Lowe’s of this world that are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.