• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The influx of overseas born players signals how poor the pathways have been here
Meh. I'd reckon all that 2019 backline went to school in Australia, except Marika.

Will Genia
Nic White
Bernard Foley
Christian Lealiifano
Samu Kerevi
Tevita Kuridrani
James O'Connor
Matt To'omua
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Reece Hodge
Marika Koroibete
Jordan Petaia
Kurtley Beale
Dane Haylett-Petty

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
^ Wales are as bad & it gives me the shits, too, but it's the price we have to pay unless we want Samoa & Tonga to be made up entirely of residents & expats.
I can’t think of many from Wales. The likes of Halaholo moved to Wales to play club footy, and were not paid proactively from the national union. I have no issue with people like that playing for them. He was signed to play club rugby and just happened to be there long enough to qualify. Lowe was the opposite, signed to play international rugby and then allocated a club.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Meh. I'd reckon all that 2019 backline went to school in Australia, except Marika.

Will Genia
Nic White
Bernard Foley
Christian Lealiifano
Samu Kerevi
Tevita Kuridrani
James O'Connor
Matt To'omua
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Reece Hodge
Marika Koroibete
Jordan Petaia
Kurtley Beale
Dane Haylett-Petty

Pretty much. With the exception of Koribete. All of those players were either born here or moved to Australia as young children/adolescents.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How about CJ Stander? Not sure on the specifics but hes South African through and through. Even retired early to take over the family farm.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hadleigh Parkes springs to mind for Wales. Qualified after 3 years, played a bit and I don’t think he’ll ever return to Wales now he’s done.
Parkes I don’t think was ever targeted by the National union, as in they never thought we will sign him from NZ to specifically play international rugby. Pretty sure he was a club led signing that happened to stay long enough to qualify. Aki and Lowe were strategically sat down with the IRFU and told they will be assigned a club and then in 3yrs time they will play international rugby. They are the situations that are wrong. The welsh clubs are at war with the national union too much to have that much collaboration

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Who’s residency are we waiting on? Look I think with the powerful nations and poaching it’s an issue for the game, we do it to a lesser extent. Japan is becoming the worst. Getting 14 year olds to come over for school and making them sign stuff to say when they become eligible they will play for Japan.

Mate, I thought someone was training with Wallanies either last year or this, and waiting to be eligible for Wallabies. Not a huge problem , but to me there are not degrees of being right or wrong, I just think we can't point finger at NH or Japan when all all countries do it. You not going to tell me Tanialla Tupou wasn't bought to Australia to play rugby? Hell that was after he left school. I was never comfortable with Fekitoa playing for ABs, and even Sevu Reece who came to NZ and atteneded school, so I can't point finger at other countries. To point fingers at other countries is a little arrogant to me.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Parkes I don’t think was ever targeted by the National union, as in they never thought we will sign him from NZ to specifically play international rugby. Pretty sure he was a club led signing that happened to stay long enough to qualify.
Yep no way do I think anyone thought Parkes was Test quality, but seems he was. I always worried that anyone called Hadleigh couldn't be taken seriously on rugby fields downunder anyway, if ever a name rings toff to me.........;):D

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mate, I thought someone was training with Wallanies either last year or this, and waiting to be eligible for Wallabies. Not a huge problem , but to me there are not degrees of being right or wrong, I just think we can't point finger at NH or Japan when all all countries do it. You not going to tell me Tanialla Tupou wasn't bought to Australia to play rugby? Hell that was after he left school. I was never comfortable with Fekitoa playing for ABs, and even Sevu Reece who came to NZ and atteneded school, so I can't point finger at other countries. To point fingers at other countries is a little arrogant to me.
The difference is that Japan are importing kids and getting them to sign to say they will play for Japan it’s discussed on Ocean’s Apart where as Tupou elected to come here as an adult as he wanted to represent the Wallabies.

Is it an issue, yes the talent drain for the pacific island nations is an issue. But how Japan separates kids from there family and promise them a better education and better future if they commit to playing for Japan

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I haven't , I was replying to posts. And trying to help Derpus get the thread to 1000 pages ;)
Need to stand up for yourself. Be out and proud.

See, I'm openly pointing the finger at
#this. Just won't be dragging it on for the mythical thousand, though, because that would be boring.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Will Genia
Nic White
Bernard Foley
Christian Lealiifano
Samu Kerevi
Tevita Kuridrani
James O'Connor
Matt To'omua
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Reece Hodge
Marika Koroibete
Jordan Petaia
Kurtley Beale
Dane Haylett-Petty
Koroibete first came to Aus to play for the Tigers

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Koroibete first came to Aus to play for the Tigers

Yep. And that's something many miss on the few guys that could be considered 'poaches' from afar. Rugby never actually pursued them for the specific reason of qualifying. At least in the cases of Koribete and Naivalu. Koribete came after being signed by League and Naivalu from memory came to Melbourne as part of some Rugby based program run completely separately from the Rebels. I actually don't think Dauganu or Naisarani were targeted either. More they came to Australia like many before them for the economics opportunities and just rose through the ranks.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)

I don’t think it’s arrogant, some countries are running a deliberately recruitment programming targeting juniors. If an adult chooses to move to another country, then that’s a different story but separating kids from their families for the sake of rugby, is wrong IMO.

Now I’m not accusing New Zealand of targeting juniors, but I listened to a podcast with Taniela Tupou on it, and he spoke about how he was recruited from Tonga for his rugby skills but he did it for his family, he spoke about how he struggled going to school and not understanding a word been said. Said it was really challenging and rugby was he outlet through it all. Also said moving to Australia really forced him to work on his English since less people spoke Tongan then where he went to school.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I don’t think it’s arrogant, some countries are running a deliberately recruitment programming targeting juniors. If an adult chooses to move to another country, then that’s a different story but separating kids from their families for the sake of rugby, is wrong IMO.

Now I’m not accusing New Zealand of targeting juniors, but I listened to a podcast with Taniela Tupou on it, and he spoke about how he was recruited from Tonga for his rugby skills but he did it for his family, he spoke about how he struggled going to school and not understanding a word been said. Said it was really challenging and rugby was he outlet through it all. Also said moving to Australia really forced him to work on his English since less people spoke Tongan then where he went to school.

Exactly mate, I know schools offer scholarships to these kids, and even Taniela is a good case, he gets a scholarship to NZ school when he was probably too young, and was still only about 17-18 when he was bought to Aus with promises of Super rugby and Wallaby carrot. So what do we do? Stop the scholarship system? I not sure what it is, I sure it hppens in kids here and in Aus where kids are even seperated from families to go to schools that offer offer scholarships in other side of country. But you right was it Kerevi talked of arriving in Aus to play with very little english ability. I was at a Southport/Nudgee college game in Brisbane a couple of years back when there was a moment taken to all wave something to show family support for a boy that was in spinal unit from rugby injury, it was for his Mum that the school had flown out from overseas to be by his side. I remember thinking then how hard it must be for these kids at times. I know they trying to get a better education etc ,, but when that happens and you in another country away from family .

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Anyway fellas back to what thread is about, I have just been listening to Ian Kirkpatrick (ex All Black great for you Aus boys) and he was talking about how a group of ex ABs are trying to get changes made to game etc. He was talking how Super rugby has lost a lot of appeal to the point where Earle Kirton (Ex AB coach) says he doesn't watch it anymore. Anyway the discussion was really the comp structure was not the problem, but the game that is being played is where it going wrong.
Now we all talk how bloody good Super 12 etc was, and thinking on it why was it so bloody good? Because we had a beautiful game where players like Cullen, Spencer, Eroni Clarke etc in NZ and Larkham, Horan, Latham etc all were able to play with a bit of freedom and show there skills. Now the game is getting to the point where gain line is everything, lets put a bash boy in midfield and let him bend the line and keep grinding them down. By the way they are not all Kirkie's words, it was what I took from it and perhaps threw in my own thoughts a bit. But one thing Kirkie did say with the way game is played we going away from a game for everyone to a game for big fellas only and not enough seperation between forwards and backs roles almost. Most time is spent on defence. And honestly, if we were still watching the games we watched at turn of century, do you think we would be wondering what Super needs to do to be successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.