• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Given the player strike in Paris seems to have worked a treat, I wonder if players here and in South Africa will consider the same should the ARU and SARU agree to cutting teams half way through the season.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
entirely consistent: they don't know what they're doing so they don't know what he should be doing.
Just read what Bob Dwyer had to say on way forward. Most insightful commentary I have read on what is required and problems rugby faces in this country.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Given the player strike in Paris seems to have worked a treat, I wonder if players here and in South Africa will consider the same should the ARU and SARU agree to cutting teams half way through the season.

A strike would work really well here. It would fix all our problems. Back to amateur rugby next season for sure.

Would that make you happy?

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Half, as I alluded to in post #1188 little if anyting has been done by the highly paid professionals running the game in the past 15 years to address the junior decline. Guys like JON basked in the glories of success at the professional level while ignoring what was happening at the bottom. Super and Wallaby success actually blinded many to the true state of the game. It's only now when the storm has hit the professional game that we see the authorities showing concern. That they appear to not know what to do is hardly a surprise, as it doesn't accord with their world view of rugby, which they almost universally view throught the prism of elite private schools. The article paints an even gloomier picture of the future than the one that I've been posting about for years.

I note now that some are explaining this away as an effect of a general decline in competitive sports. We've even been told that the decline of the British Emprie is a factor. I'm not sure that these really explain the rugby decline. We certainly haven't engaged with the non-anglo demographic as well as other sports. Even accepting that these as factors, it is clear that rugby has fallen signficantly more than like sports.

Rugby 63% decline
League 27% decline
AFL 1% decline

Then let's look for a moment at the other sports with significant declines. Many of these sports appeal to an older demogrphic and following generations have simply not engaged with these sports in the same numbers:

Golf 24% decline
Snooker/biilliards 69% decline
Lawn bowls 25% decline
Ballroom dancing 44% decline

Other sports have seen real estate prices lead to their facilities being sold up for apartments:

Squash 67% decline
Ten pin bowling 62% decline
Tennis 35% decline

Finally there are the sports which have unique issues:

Softball 24% decline - too similar to baseball and baseball now caters for females. No co-incidence that baseball has had a 24% increase

Netball 24% decline has suffered from having two issues. The growth of women's soccer being the most significant - it's now the most popular female participation sport in the country. The other being that basketball is similar and arguably a more attractive game. Basketball and soccer increases are, I'd suggest mostly down to increased female participation.

Astute post and observations.

What saddens me more than anything else pertaining to rugby is the almost everything that has and is happening was predictable and in many cases avoidable.

Voices like mine over the years have often been almost shut out pushed away. Even this site when i was asked to write articles by a mod I agreed but said i was principally concerned with management issues I was told "No Worries"" then my name was forwarded to a committee where the information I received back was the committee thinks you are a little @@!!@@@@ so please continue to comment but don't write articles.

At my local club etc. I say this not to complain. More to point out across many levels rugby has attempted to hold down voices of discontent and somehow convince itself everything is OK.

My often use of soccer as my wife plays and so do two of my sons has given me extensive knowledge in terms of their management structures. There is a reason beyond the game itself they have so many players.

As I have alluded to earlier I am on borrowed time so to speak. If the ARU drops a team I am gone, we are in not position to loose fans and goodwill. I will hang around and rant for a week and then I will be gone.

Quick, at some point there is a tipping point when the media, and general public simply loose interest and we become totally invisible other than to the hard core rusted on. Each year their are less of them.

We need some visionary leadership. As i don't think the current crop are capable of lifting us out of the ditch we are in.

S

sidelineview

Dwyer is a hypocrite.
He made no secret of the fact that if you wanted to be a wallaby you better play for Randwick.
Cheika seems to sing the same song.
Randwick and Uni have shown no real interest in the grass roots - unless, that is, if they happen to be someone else's grass roots, so that in the last 3 years they have recruited oz schoolboys who were juniors at other Shute Shield clubs to the point discussed in the colts 2017 thread where they have smany oz schools players that they'll be playing 3rd grade - they cant play 3rds colts!
As many of us have said warehousing these players slows (if not stops) their development, skews the competition and does SFA for the clubs in the areas where the grass roots might actually sprout.

Randwick and Uni have done a great job in attracting talented school leavers to their Clubs and in doing so have minimised the risk of those players being lost to league.

If the authorities allow this to happen it will continue to happen, whether it's right or wrong.

I agree with you, but it's on the authorities to be proactive regarding this issue and find a solution to this problem without chasing players away from the game.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
People are reading too much into these Roy Morgan numbers. When niche sports are included into these national surveys you get large swings up and down because a few survey results can make a big dufference.

Do people really think there are 120k people rowing competitively in Australia?

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)

The fact that the Paris clubs backed down so quickly makes me think there was never really an intention to merge them and that there was some ulterior motive (I don't know enough about the French game to know what it might be)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Bob Dwyer summed it up well

Some of his comments are very apt, some have merit, some are obvious,

The cynics would also say based on rest history, the motivation is more around the concern to potential cut to the Shute funding.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
The fact that the Paris clubs backed down so quickly makes me think there was never really an intention to merge them and that there was some ulterior motive (I don't know enough about the French game to know what it might be)

Read from Frenchmen elsewhere that the FFR is interested in a franchise/provincial model, so may have been pushing to merge the Parisian clubs and then follow up with the Basque clubs and so on. Not sure how correct that all is, nor any way to verify it, mind.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

Given that RUPA are the most spineless bunch of chunts I doubt they would be representing the players on such an important issue

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
People are reading too much into these Roy Morgan numbers. When niche sports are included into these national surveys you get large swings up and down because a few survey results can make a big dufference.

I think there are that numbers - it is big in schools and masters

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
A strike would work really well here. It would fix all our problems. Back to amateur rugby next season for sure.

Would that make you happy?

Well I don't think SANZAAR or the ARU could actually have any hope of cutting teams if the players collectively rose up against it.

And what won't make me happy is if 20% of the professional rugby opportunities in this country are lost, and thousands of fans abandoned.

I believe it's completely against Australian rugby's interests to lose a team and would support any measure to ensure there are at least 5 professional teams in this country. I'm of the view that it may be better for us to go off on our own if NZ are unwilling to create a genuine Trans-Tasman competition. Even if that means losing a bulk of our top players.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

No, because the survey is about participation as opposed to competition.

Even if we discount rowing completely and those unamed sports which you refer to as "niche sports", the number for rugby as compared with what I would term like sports still makes for dismal viewing.

On those figures, I think we'd qualify as a niche sport.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well I don't think SANZAAR or the ARU could actually have any hope of cutting teams if the players collectively rose up against it.

And what won't make me happy is if 20% of the professional rugby opportunities in this country are lost, and thousands of fans abandoned.

I believe it's completely against Australian rugby's interests to lose a team and would support any measure to ensure there are at least 5 professional teams in this country. I'm of the view that it may be better for us to go off on our own if NZ are unwilling to create a genuine Trans-Tasman competition. Even if that means losing a bulk of our top players.

The ARU have the power of veto - so if there is any reduction in teams then they are complicit in that reduction. They can't fob the blame off to the Kiwis or the Saffers.

This is I suspect the reason why they have said nothing - they have no idea how they are going to explain it and retain any credibility at all.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
No, because the survey is about participation as opposed to competition.

Even if we discount rowing completely and those unamed sports which you refer to as "niche sports", the number for rugby as compared with what I would term like sports still makes for dismal viewing.

On those figures, I think we'd qualify as a niche sport.
The survey is on participation in competitive sport.
Niche as in the areas it is played competitively in, the heart lands. The numbers will fluctuate depending whether those heartlands are surveyed.
I try to explain it in a more long winded way in post #1348 here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...on-and-aru-plans-for-the-future.16546/page-68

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The ARU have the power of veto - so if there is any reduction in teams then they are complicit in that reduction. They can't fob the blame off to the Kiwis or the Saffers.

This is I suspect the reason why they have said nothing - they have no idea how they are going to explain it and retain any credibility at all.

Exactly. And surely if the players are united they could basically force the ARU to use that veto?

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm of the view that it may be better for us to go off on our own if NZ are unwilling to create a genuine Trans-Tasman competition. Even if that means losing a bulk of our top players.

Yeah I was thinking about that myself. The other option I was wondering about would be an amalgamation/expansion of the Japan Top-League into Australia featuring the current Aussie brands or some new ones. Throw in Hong Kong or Fiji's new NRC team into the mix too.

Big money and branding of the Japanese companies, Australian player strength, Australian/Hong Kong big city markets, similar timezone, could be something workable.

Potential for growth into Hawaii perhaps? A legitimate Japanese/Pacific Islander stronghold?

Status
Not open for further replies.