• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^ @QH re the RFU's progress

Surely you know by now that we in Australian rugby are 'uniquely unique'!

We can learn nothing from any other codes or rugby bodies world wide as, god almighty, we have the AFL and NRL able to just grind us into the red dirt no matter what we do about it.

We're the limp little pussies to whom fate has dealt this appalling hand here and now forever, isn't it so? There's no better answer than just to accept our fate.

We're not like most of our best, our very best, forebear Aussies who'll fucken fight and innovate and work and show guts and determination and fucken never say die and stay alive and just breath and look for the better light even if the darkest collapse seemingly awaits and terrifies us.

No, we have excuses and 'explanations' and get-outs for our chronic weakness; it just happened to us, didn't it?

Nothing can be done, just lie back and learn to loath the price of passivity.

Yes indeed, the only place in the world where rugby is in decline, the only major sport in Australia that has declined in the past 20 years. We certainly are unique.

And the only solutions proffered by some are to accept our fate or to keep doing the same things and hope against hope that a different result would emerge.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Let's put down some facts around special assistance received by the Rebels.
2013 - $5.5m loan, since written off.
2014 - $3.3m loan, since written off.
2015 - increased support to Rebels of $1.6m
Imperium takeover June 2015 to 2021. $2.5m less than the other franchises.
Net difference $7.9m

In contrast Brumbies have lost money for 14 years straight, and have only avoided massive bailouts through selling of the family jewels in dubious circumstances. With a reported $1.5m left in the bank, there is every chance they will begin draining the ARU coffers in the next two years.

Stoff, I have seen many claims in these threads and elsewhere that the ARU granted? another $6m to the Rebels/Cox as part of the private ownership deal. Is this correct, do you know? And if so, how does it fit into your assistance summary above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Stoff, I have seen many claims in these threads and elsewhere that the ARU granted? another $6m to the Rebels/Cox as part of the private ownership deal. Is this correct, do you know? And if so, how does it fit into your assistance summary above?
$6 million for five years; the deal is front-end loaded, it is understood the Rebels are being paid $2.6m for 2016, the initial year of the deal, but that payments are reduced considerably in value over the remaining four years.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/86d59b6d4a5b7b4663878ea7af458305

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c143578c77db1dad7ee4529a095ec553

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
$6 million for five years; the deal is front-end loaded, it is understood the Rebels are being paid $2.6m for 2016, the initial year of the deal, but that payments are reduced considerably in value over the remaining four years.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/86d59b6d4a5b7b4663878ea7af458305

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c143578c77db1dad7ee4529a095ec553

And in a few days time, if memory serves correct, the ARU will be lodging their new annual reports with ASIC and will have the details of their extra payments to the Rebels.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Sorry, I thought I was on the 'where to for super rugby?' thread. I'll go try find it again :D

ARU version of Godwin's Law?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In contrast Brumbies have lost money for 14 years straight, and have only avoided massive bailouts through selling of the family jewels in dubious circumstances. With a reported $1.5m left in the bank, there is every chance they will begin draining the ARU coffers in the next two years.

The highlighted part actually isn't true, as they have recorded a few profits in that time.

Jones stated last year that they've only recorded a profit once in the past '11 years.'

Also, they're apparently projecting to record a profit this year....... but we'll see.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The highlighted part actually isn't true, as they have recorded a few profits in that time.

Jones stated last year that they've only recorded a profit once in the past '11 years.'

Also, they're apparently projecting to record a profit this year... but we'll see.
Sorry Slim, 14years of losses is correct. The closest they came to a profit was under Jones but the Brumbies board made sure that didn't happen. Quote from Kennedy stating that reported CBR times 18 Feb.

I wonder if hid statement excluded the suppressed years?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
We'd welcome your thoughts on the issue.

My preferred model is an expansion of the NRC which takes on the NRL head on and/or a trans-tasman competition possibly merging with the 'african' conferences for the finals only.

More realistically, it seems the ARU are prepared to cut a team as long as the Saffers cut two and we will then either have a 15 team comp with 4 Oz teams or an 18 team comp with 5 Oz teams. If it's the latter I can live with it as long as they simplify the conference system into a 3x6 setup and even more ideally the Kings are replaced with a PI team. So:

Conf 1 - 5 x AUS + PI
Conf 2 - 5 x NZL + JPN
Conf 3 - 5 x SAF + ARG

As for the shitfight that is the administration of Aus rugby..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry Slim, 14years of losses is correct.

The Brumbies have apparently recorded 3 profits since 2003.........

Definitely in 2004, and I'm not sure on the other two years, although an older article from the Crimes points to 2010.

Dutton wrote this in the same week he contradicted himself with that '14 years' claim:

However, the proceeds have almost dwindled away after a $1.68 million deficit in 2015 and recording a profit just three times since 2003.

This same quote can also be attributed to articles as far back as 2015 with Kennedy again the source.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My two cents

Rebels "merged", Brumbies move to Melbourne

Some sort of national contracting of all unsigned players (eventually all players), this would make the ARU the "employer" so an actual draft could be initiated to try to spread the little wealth we have.

I also like the NZ "25" approach, not in the "core", another team can pick them up as part of their "core"

Not more than one foreign player signed across the all teams in any one position, in any one season, no exemptions, ever

T

TOCC

Nah, it would make a stronger long term "Brumbies" in an area where corporate support and crowds are viable

Right.... so that's why the Rebels are now entering their second season without a major sponsor and crowds have continued to fall...

Theres a difference between demand and quantity demanded..

Status
Not open for further replies.