• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Okay, mate, cocks on blocks. What is your "merit" Wobblies team?

Wamb, if you really want to take this little discussion seriously, then start by replacing Hanigan and Dempsey. Then, after the first of the June tests, Genia should also have been on the bench at best. Horne should never have started or been on the bench and a better pick could have been made for Robertson on the bench. But just to show balance, despite Cheika's rant about fitness, Latu should have had game time. And for more balance, Godwin should not be in the Wallabies' squad either.

There are Tahs who are best in their positions in Hooper, Foley and Folau. Others like Kepu and Latu are properly bench or starters. But that's it - the rest could be replaced by better players.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How is it that the NZ players who move from super rugby to the ABs have no problem with fitness but our players do?
It points to serious systemic problems in the professional game in Australia.
Assuming of course that it's not just a red herring.
Either way it's a poor reflection

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
How is it that the NZ players who move from super rugby to the ABs have no problem with fitness but our players do?

Um .... have you seen the Super Rugby record between Australia and NZ this year?

dru

David Wilson (68)

Bold bit needs discussion. I am wavering on the side that Cheika is correct - if so a damning statement of the professionalism of Australian franchises.

Um .. have you seen the Super Rugby record between Australia and NZ this year?

Argumentative agreement?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Fitness is an issue perhaps but what I see more than that is attitude and application of our players in comparison. NZ players seem to push harder to be where they need to be while ours tend to lope along. Check actually mentioned this after the loss to Scotland. About the players needing to push themselves harder to get to the play.

When I was playing losing was something that you'd feel gutted having to endure. So you'd do anything and everything you could to avoid it. From my perspective losing doesn't't look to be a negative for many of our players. They still get to cash their cheques regardless. That just seems wrong to me.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
On a serious note, if next year is anything like this year then crowds could be a major issue. We look like finishing with cough cough cough crowd averages of around 10K or just under.

The trend lines would indicate next year between 7 & 8 K if all five teams stay up.

Super Rugby teams an as a whole will struggle with the stadium hire losses.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
NZ players look to play for that All Black jersey. Making their living seems a second consideration.

Australian players look to play for the living and test selection just means increasing those earnings.

Sadly that is how it appears to me.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Think I agree. I would add however that if only 4 teams stay up the trend stays at 7&8k but we will have disenfranchised (literally) another 7to8k in the process.

There was an interesting article yesterday I think on the News sites indicating Easts RL believe that they need to move around and plan to play their home games in different centres 3 at the Central Coast Stadium. 3 or more at the new Parramatta stadium, 2 at Penrith, and maybe 3 at Moore Park as they say the overall interest in RL & RU is falling in the Eastern Surb's .

After reading the article I was wondering whether Easts RL, could have identified a trend the ARU and the Tahs have not and should the Tahs also move around... hhhmmm maybe not enough games...

Reactions: dru

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
There was an interesting article yesterday I think on the News sites indicating Easts RL believe that they need to move around and plan to play their home games in different centres 3 at the Central Coast Stadium. 3 or more at the new Parramatta stadium, 2 at Penrith, and maybe 3 at Moore Park as they say the overall interest in RL & RU is falling in the Eastern Surb's .

After reading the article I was wondering whether Easts RL, could have identified a trend the ARU and the Tahs have not and should the Tahs also move around. hhhmmm maybe not enough games.

Have you forgotten the Tahs executive saying that the western suburbs aren't Tahs territory?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There was an interesting article yesterday I think on the News sites indicating Easts RL believe that they need to move around and plan to play their home games in different centres 3 at the Central Coast Stadium. 3 or more at the new Parramatta stadium, 2 at Penrith, and maybe 3 at Moore Park as they say the overall interest in RL & RU is falling in the Eastern
After reading the article I was wondering whether Easts RL, could have identified a trend the ARU and the Tahs have not and should the Tahs also move around. hhhmmm maybe not enough games.
Roger Davis is on record as saying that moving from Moore Park would be a disaster for the Waratahs and that Parramatta Stadium would be too small
This is what we are up against

dru

David Wilson (68)
We want it. Who said we don't? But who will pay for it?

Well, that might require a competent business plan. I wonder who might be responsible for that?

Here are some Lyrics by Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing. It was a comment against Reagan's lack of vision but is not hard to translate to the ARU and this little imbroglio you have highlighted:

It's a small world and it smells funny
I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money
Take back what I paid
For another motherfucker in a motorcade

Status
Not open for further replies.