• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^ ARU mouthpiece

ARU are like a poorly performing restaurant, they had a few good years early on but since then patronage has dwindled in the face of the competition evolving, and rather then reassess their business model and marketing, they instead decide to cost cut on overheads by reducing the menu selection. Destined to die a slow miserable death.

We need a Gordon Ramsay of the sporting world to come in and send a rocket up the ARU's ass.

Pure gold.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Over on the Roar I just read a recent article by Bret McKay.

Titled "" The thing about a revolution is you have to want change.""'

Its a good article and particularly pertaining to Super Rugby, the ARU and state unions and many within Rugby management don't seem to want or understand the need for and to change.

Its almost as if those in the layers of rugby management have a similar mind set.

Its quite challenging to consider changing the system especially if it means voting yourself out of power or maybe seeding control to others.

Self and local interest has always been in the rugby state unions, and NSW & QLD have essentially equalled each other out, and other state unions have also wanted different things at different times.

To make Super Rugby work, or say work within a context of developing a plan "B" or have alternatives to move in time to a national domestic competition you need a will to change and an acceptance that change is needed.

I kinda get the feeling that there is no plans in place to do things differently once we have tossed out a team. Nor are their noises coming from the state unions demanding change. Its almost as if getting rid of a side means we are financial for a few more years and lets hope we can win a few games as that will bring the crowd back.

I could be wrong but I just don't see or here key decision makers challenging existing models, nor putting up new models and if they do say Pappy they are taken to task as trouble makers

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
^^^ ARU mouthpiece

ARU are like a poorly performing restaurant, they had a few good years early on but since then patronage has dwindled in the face of the competition evolving, and rather then reassess their business model and marketing, they instead decide to cost cut on overheads by reducing the menu selection. Destined to die a slow miserable death.

We need a Gordon Ramsay of the sporting world to come in and send a rocket up the ARU's ass.

I don't think even Gordon has enough expletives to deal with the ARU.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Over on the Roar I just read a recent article by Bret McKay.

Titled "" The thing about a revolution is you have to want change.""'

Its a good article and particularly pertaining to Super Rugby, the ARU and state unions and many within Rugby management don't seem to want or understand the need for and to change.

Its almost as if those in the layers of rugby management have a similar mind set.

Its quite challenging to consider changing the system especially if it means voting yourself out of power or maybe seeding control to others.

Self and local interest has always been in the rugby state unions, and NSW & QLD have essentially equalled each other out, and other state unions have also wanted different things at different times.

To make Super Rugby work, or say work within a context of developing a plan "B" or have alternatives to move in time to a national domestic competition you need a will to change and an acceptance that change is needed.

I kinda get the feeling that there is no plans in place to do things differently once we have tossed out a team. Nor are their noises coming from the state unions demanding change. Its almost as if getting rid of a side means we are financial for a few more years and lets hope we can win a few games as that will bring the crowd back.

I could be wrong but I just don't see or here key decision makers challenging existing models, nor putting up new models and if they do say Pappy they are taken to task as trouble makers

Half - this is what many of us have been saying for years, and why a lot of us have always called for the State Unions to be disbanded along with the ARU. WHilst I have long been a strident critic of the ARU, I have never thought they were solely to blame.

The NSWRU ad the QRU (and RUPA) have been complicit with the ARU to maintain the systemwhich has been in place since 1996, and it is why we have finally reached the state we are now. Actual performance is not required as long as the system is maintained. People come and go but the system remains.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
^^^ ARU mouthpiece

Pure gold.

I don't think even Gordon has enough expletives to deal with the ARU.

f.png

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Although if you read Gordon's success rate.. you don't want him.

Personal Restaurant success, or TV show Restaurant/hotel saving & Chef competition judge success?

Because AFAIK, ones pretty good, and the other still compares quite favorably to the general rate of brand new hospitality businesses, which is pretty good considering they're all circling the drain to start with.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Well worth a read:

Is SARU playing it much smarter, and more strategically, than most realise....plus the stats on TV fall-off in recent years' Super numbers are staggering:

https://www.alloutrugby.com/pro14-all-part-of-the-saru-plan/

I don't think it is particularly sneaky. More like bleeding obvious. There is a big benefit for them having games in their own time zones.

Given the history - the announcement of the Rainbow cup in 2005 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/4533261.stm), the rumors in 2009 of South Africa leaving the Super 14 to join what was then the Magners league (Pro 12) (https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...t/news-story/973bab0eda750023d15aff622fc4f707).

Of course the Pro12 deal hasn't been formally announced (and thus probably not formally signed or fully negotiated). If it does fall through then that will be very interesting to see the outcome

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Well worth a read:

Is SARU playing it much smarter, and more strategically, than most realise....plus the stats on TV fall-off in recent years' Super numbers are staggering:

I'd say they're (a) making the best of the shit situation they find themselves in (partly, it must be said, due to a previous leadership regime's insistence on having six teams) & (b) avoiding the legal issues that would arise if they just cut the Kings & Cheetahs loose altogether (both holding licences to 2020, apparently). To that extent they're doing better than ARU who have made a dogs breakfast of (a) the shit situation they find themselves in (partly, it must be said, due to to a past leadership regime's insistence on having five teams) & (b) the legal issues that will arise when they cut the Rebels or Force loose. To go to the next level & ascribe it to some SARU master plan is a little fantastical IMO.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think it is particularly sneaky. More like bleeding obvious. There is a big benefit for them having games in their own time zones.

Given the history - the announcement of the Rainbow cup in 2005 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/4533261.stm), the rumors in 2009 of South Africa leaving the Super 14 to join what was then the Magners league (Pro 12) (https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...t/news-story/973bab0eda750023d15aff622fc4f707).

Of course the Pro12 deal hasn't been formally announced (and thus probably not formally signed or fully negotiated). If it does fall through then that will be very interesting to see the outcome

JP - this one is of interest as well - rumours swirling out of RSA that potentially the Sharks may explore a move out of the S1x and a relocation to an EU-based comp.

Just rumours I know, but something is quietly brewing at the edges of pro rugby in RSA and it may well be an undisclosed, unstated consensus that Super Rugby is slowly but surely dying and at the very least viable pro-active contingencies need to be contemplated.

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/new...ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
JP - this one is of interest as well - rumours swirling out of RSA that potentially the Sharks may explore a move out of the S1x and a relocation to a EU-based comp.

Just rumours I know, but something is quietly brewing at the edges of pro rugby in RSA and it may well be an undisclosed, unstated consensus that Super Rugby is slowly but surely dying and at the very least viable pro-active contingencies need to be contemplated.

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/new...ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm calling it now. If the Sharks go north then the other three will follow at the end of the current deal.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm calling it now. If the Sharks go north then the other three will follow at the end of the current deal.

And WCR, as you'd recognise, once the dominoes start to fall - if they do - with more RSA departures from S1x Rugby then the calculus for what NZ Rugby needs to do protect its interests and the strength of the AB playing stocks and brand changes immeasurably.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
And WCR, as you'd recognise, once the dominoes start to fall - if they do - with more RSA departures from S1x Rugby then the calculus for what NZ Rugby needs to do protect its interests and the strength of the AB playing stocks and brand changes immeasurably.

Well, it will blow the need to play SA for the sake of reasons out of the water.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Well worth a read:

If media reports are correct Super Rugby's last media deal received less than previously from Australian broadcasters, slightly more from NZ broadcasters, and a mega jump from European broadcasters.

A number of reports indicated that Super Rugby was essentially funded by SA broadcasters and European Broadcasters.

The question I have been asking for years given the similar time zone, is SARU moving too European competitions would on the surface mean more money and most games live. So why stay with NZ & Australia.

WCR's article he posted on rumours just makes sense.

Its a perplexing question from a SA viewpoint.

T

TOCC

Can anyone answer this:

Have the ARU actually explained as to how cutting a team is supposed to improve rugby union in Australia, and if so, what are those reasons?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can anyone answer this:

Have the ARU actually explained as to how cutting a team is supposed to improve rugby union in Australia, and if so, what are those reasons?
Just financial isn't it? Seems that's been the primary factor from any interview with Clyne or Pulver I've seen.

Up for debate whether the ARU will improve the game here with the $16m odd savings over 3 years (obviously less any closing costs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

David Wilson (68)

SARU departing lock, stock and barrel to Europe is going to run through the rumour mill for ever. That does not make the logistics any more workable.

Pro12, now Pro14 would be Pro15 with the Sharks. Add Bulls, Lions and Stormers and you have a Super-style mess. Or the last three join England? Same mess.

The issues of North v South away game seasons still has to be tested and won't be easy.

My guess is that there will be Saffer teams wanting access to NZ (and Aus I guess) rugby competition for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.