• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
B

BLR

Possibly dumb enough to guarantee both teams..

I doubt they would ever guarantee the Force again. (I think they didn't real the Alliance agreement tbh and didn't realise we put the guarantee in there.) They seem to have a murder boner against us since we raided the Reds stocks when we started up.

dru

David Wilson (68)
As has been said before, the Cheetah/Kings deal does absolutely nothing to "condense" the skilled player set into the Soup franchises for generally higher quality teams. Nothing. It does provide opportunity for SA rugby players and add an interesting dimension to the Currie Cup.

Respect to SARU for sorting themselves out.

ARU???

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
At least the SARU have facilitated opportunities for the teams rather than cutting them off totally and pulling the rug out from professional rugby in each of the provence.

I suggested the Top League as an option earlier inter thread for whichever team is cut.

Reactions: mst

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I still think there's an opportunity to form a truly global provincial rugby championship. First move would be to merge Super Rugby and the Pro 12(14 and if reports are correct 15 from the 2018/2019 season with Washington DC slated to join).

From there add another Argentine/South American franchise alongside two more US based franchises plus one from Canada. I happen to know there are enough people with the finances and interest to take the gamble on these teams.

Finally add a Fijian franchise.

So all together the entire competition would have 36 franchises. Split the number into divisions of 18 teams split further three conferences of 6. I think there real potential in this.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I still think there's an opportunity to form a truly global provincial rugby championship. First move would be to merge Super Rugby and the Pro 12(14 and if reports are correct 15 from the 2018/2019 season with Washington DC slated to join).

From there add another Argentine/South American franchise alongside two more US based franchises plus one from Canada. I happen to know there are enough people with the finances and interest to take the gamble on these teams.

Finally add a Fijian franchise.

So all together the entire competition would have 36 franchises. Split the number into divisions of 18 teams split further three conferences of 6. I think there real potential in this.

Won't do oz rugby any good - can't see any Japan team being competitive on a week to week basis if the sun wolves are as good as they can field.
I suppose flogging them might appeal to some potential fans - bit not many
as they'll soon work out this is a bullshit comp.
How will Fiji get back their European/OS internationals?

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
can't see any Japan team being competitive on a week to week basis if the sun wolves are as good as they can field.

They're not. Many of the better Japanese players were retained by their corporate domestic league teams

I'd been secretly hoping that three SA teams would jump at the Pro chance and save us all the headache

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
They're not. Many of the better Japanese players were retained by their corporate domestic league teams

I'd been secretly hoping that three SA teams would jump at the Pro chance and save us all the headache

A good example of that is Yamada. Who is class but elected to play for Panasonic instead of the Sunwolves.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Read that a third franchise is apparently interested.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Conversation with my wife at breakfast summarises this thread neatly.

Wife: who did you watch the Tahs play last night?

Me: Jaguares

Wife: who?

Me: they're a team from Argentina

Wife: Argentina? What? Why? Isnt it between South Africa, New Zealand and us?

Me: it was, but now Japan has a team as well.

Wife: Japan? Huh? When did that happen?

Me: 2 years ago

Wife: how did I miss that? How big is the Comp now?

Me: 18 teams, but they're trying to reduce it to 15 teams

Wife: what? who are they getting rid of?

Me: in Australia the Force or the Rebels

Wife: WHAT?! Have they lost their minds. We're getting rid of a team? When will this happen?

Me: it's pretty messy. We don't know if it'll happen because it's with lawyers now.

Wife: we'll that's not going to happen anytime soon then. Who else is going?

Me: two teams from South Africa, but they're probably going to play in Europe instead.

Wife: Europe? What? How will that work? What an absolute mess. Anyway did the Tahs win last night?

Me: no, no they did not.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Conversation with my wife at breakfast summarises this thread neatly.

Wife: who did you watch the Tahs play last night?

Me: Jaguares

Wife: who?

Me: they're a team from Argentina

Wife: Argentina? What? Why? Isnt it between South Africa, New Zealand and us?

Me: it was, but now Japan has a team as well.

Wife: Japan? Huh? When did that happen?

Me: 2 years ago

Wife: how did I miss that? How big is the Comp now?

Me: 18 teams, but they're trying to reduce it to 15 teams

Wife: what? who are they getting rid of?

Me: in Australia the Force or the Rebels

Wife: WHAT?! Have they lost their minds. We're getting rid of a team? When will this happen?

Me: it's pretty messy. We don't know if it'll happen because it's with lawyers now.

Wife: we'll that's not going to happen anytime soon then. Who else is going?

Me: two teams from South Africa, but they're probably going to play in Europe instead.

Wife: Europe? What? How will that work? What an absolute mess. Anyway did the Tahs win last night?

Me: no, no they did not.

I gather your wife is on the ARU Board

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Remember when Roger Davis told us that the Waratahs couldn't possibly play at 30,000 seat Parramatta stadium because it wouldn't be able to fit everyone in?

It always interests (actually, greatly concerns) me why so many of our RUs - incl the ARU - think a 'must have' is a wealthy banker or 'highly regarded' businessman as Chair, or close to that.

Mostly, this proclivity has proven totally misplaced and near-disastrous for the good of the enterprise concerned. They end up with arrogance in culture, aloofness to fans' need and wants, poor coaching judgements, organisational lack of transparency and a propagation of like-minded elitists to their boards.

And we cop the ultimate results.

Status
Not open for further replies.