• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Democracy is an interesting concept.

FFA in-spite of their success in relative terms have not been able to satisfy many soccer tribes.

The cry of the tribes was FFA have to much power are are not listening to the base. The base complain to FIFA.

FIFA look and say, yep FFA are to top heavy and FIFA is world over a bottom up system.

Result FIFA tell FFA to be more inclusive and include more in decision making.

Don't do it and we will sack the FFA board and install a FIFA board to set things up. FFA have roughly three months.

FFA compared to the ARU are well heaps ahead . But the massess want them to be better.

Could we follow this example and say to the International Rugby Board, look come and take over for a bit and establish a new board.

BTW the word on the street is when all the dust settles Gallop could be looking for a new job. Is Gallop a good choice to replace Pulver.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope not.

If we want to hire somebody who has failed at the NRL, I would prefer Dave Smith. At least he has a background in our game.

L

Leo86

Interesting article from Bret Harris at the Guardian Online about how the ARU got the expansion with Force and Rebels wrong. It makes a lot of good points:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/07/super-rugby-struggles-of-force-and-rebels

I get what hes saying but there had to be some experience as well. Off the top of my head youth wise Pocock, JOC (James O'Connor), Cummins, Pek Cowan, Longbottom were all pretty young. Im sure there is more in the first couple seasons i havent thought of

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It makes a lot of good points:

It makes a few good points but glosses over others and thus lies by omission.

GWS were front-loaded with an oversize squad of premium young draft picks in years 2012–16.

GWS were also allowed to spend ~$4.7m OVER the caps in total across those years to speed their challenge against their established rivals.

Compare that with the ARU. With top-ups exclusive of the limit it is farcical. Totally the opposite situation to GWS, with the expansion franchises at millions BELOW the established teams.

And curtailing spending was not the only thing, because revenue was still required. I won't rake over Clyne's $28m now because that's a whole other snafu.

Suffice it say, these interesting articles need to be read critically.

They rarely cover the full story.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I get what hes saying but there had to be some experience as well. Off the top of my head youth wise Pocock, JOC (James O'Connor), Cummins, Pek Cowan, Longbottom were all pretty young. Im sure there is more in the first couple seasons i havent thought of

And the Rebels had Jones (20), Pyle (23), Phipps (22), Betham (22) and Kingi (22).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
interesting, from the ARU release re South Africa

"In Australia, the Rebels will not proceed with the mediation scheduled with the ARU."

pourqoi ?

part of the "settlement" between Rebels and ARU perhaps or straight to court ?

B

BLR

interesting, from the ARU release re South Africa

"In Australia, the Rebels will not proceed with the mediation scheduled with the ARU."

pourqoi ?

part of the "settlement" between Rebels and ARU perhaps or straight to court ?

Personally I don't see why the Rebels would cancel the potential to get damages with very little outlay to take a legal course which may get them nothing AND cost them a whole bunch of time and money. Unless they had been tipped off the aggressive posturing won't work to strong arm the ARU.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^^^^ or as a "quid pro quo" for the ARU's "your'e safe, provided you don't rock the boat" versus "kick up a stink and your'e gone and we will see you in court"
like everyone else i'm just guessing, but why would the ARU hide the statement in the bottom of another press release ?

B

BLR

^^^^^ or as a "quid pro quo" for the ARU's "your'e safe, provided you don't rock the boat" versus "kick up a stink and your'e gone and we will see you in court"
like everyone else i'm just guessing, but why would the ARU hide the statement in the bottom of another press release ?

Could the ARU be so dumb to guarantee a teams safety AGAIN after the mess they got themselves into this time?

L

Leo86

So Cheetahs have an agreement to 2020, mediation is/isnt happening with Rebels and Force arbitration is late August I think.

SARU need to pick 2 willing partipants, ARU are in a hole and SANZAAR might have to accept another structure be it S18,S17,S16

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Interesting article from Bret Harris at the Guardian Online about how the ARU got the expansion with Force and Rebels wrong. It makes a lot of good points:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/07/super-rugby-struggles-of-force-and-rebels

Comparing GWS to the Force & Rebels is iMO lazy and incorrect journalism .

For starters the Swans had been around for 25 odd years and Ch 7 constant promotion and contracts the AFL has with radio broadcasters and newspapers meant GWS was in the paper every day.

Add the constant good news articles.

Very lazy and totally incorrect to compare GWS to the Force & Rebels.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
So Cheetahs have an agreement to 2020, mediation is/isnt happening with Rebels and Force arbitration is late August I think.

SARU need to pick 2 willing partipants, ARU are in a hole and SANZAAR might have to accept another structure be it S18,S17,S16

Taking a step back, you get the feeling that it was the broadcasters who started all this because of falls in ratings.

I do wonder if we remain at say S 18, are their penalties in terms of less broadcast revenue due to poor ratings.

One would think if we only have four teams instead of five teams we would only get 80% of the revenue we get now.

L

Leo86

Taking a step back, you get the feeling that it was the broadcasters who started all this because of falls in ratings.

I do wonder if we remain at say S 18, are their penalties in terms of less broadcast revenue due to poor ratings.

One would think if we only have four teams instead of five teams we would only get 80% of the revenue we get now.

From what i remember, it was SANZAAR and they asked the broadcasters who agreed if the last 3 teams added were the ones axed. SANZAAR reconvened and came out with with the current scenario and had to get the broadcasters approval. Which they did in the end. So no overall money lost

Surely the ARU guaranteed the same money. . . But come 2020 negotiations we left ourselves wide open

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
2020 is so far off it is not worth speculating about. Things are changing very rapidly indeed in the media world.

I have talked previously about the huge resources that the AFL claims to be putting into their own media resources, 250 or so personnel according to them.

The NRL is also moving in that direction, which is one root cause of the feuding that is going on about the amount that the franchises are receiving. Head Office wants to retain more than it planned to so as to fund media resources.

Us? We are out of that game, and this is another huge potential, if not actual, danger for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.