• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

What Quade should have been doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay

Cheap shot, but still funny.

kids-rugby.jpg

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Bit like comparing an apple to an orange Bullrush...wasn't Quade at the back on defence? It's a given, Carter is a way better defender, and Cooper really needs to improve his defensive game but, Carter had more opportunity to make tackles.

I'm wondering whether, with an erratically brilliant 5/8 like Quade, having a second 5/8 option is the way to go? When things aren't quite working for QC (Quade Cooper), a Giteau or O'Connor at 12 would open up attacking options, give Cooper breathing space and a chance to regain composure, and present the opposition with a few more questions in defence. The two crash baller options in the Centres doesn't allow for this latitude.

I seriously would love to Know how this fits into the AB's stratagy (not being a smart arese with this question)? How many did Nonu make? Was Carters defensive load strategic to keep other players fresh?

Where Quade was poor was his skills were below par (by his own standards). His kicking and passing game was poor which is unusual for him. Good players will have bad days though.

Nonu made 4 tackles and Conrad Smith also made 12.

It ridiculous to say that the 'strategy' around Carter's defense was to keep the others fresh. I'd say they don't even have a strategy regarding his defense - and that's the point. They don't need to have a massive defensive realignment to cover for him. The players around him during the game can trust him to have his man and make the tackle. And having trust in your teammates is a big part of team defense - as anyone who has played will know.

IMO, 'brilliance' and 'genius' cannot replace hard work, a hard-nuts attitude and a willingness to put your body on the line.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I would be happy to see it tried and I think JOC (James O'Connor) will be a great centre but I want to find out whether he and Cooper will compliment eachother. There is only one way to find out.

For me, a decision has to be made between Gits and Barnes for back-up 12. If McCabe gets the nod this weekend, there is simply no time to bed down JOC (James O'Connor) at Test level at 12, and develop a combination to face the running lines and smarts of Ireland's O'Driscoll, who'll slice up any hesitancy. I think Barnes will get the nod and he can slot in just fine if McCabe is exposed in any of the next two upcoming tests.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
For me, a decision has to be made between Gits and Barnes for back-up 12. If McCabe gets the nod this weekend, there is simply no time to bed down JOC (James O'Connor) at Test level at 12, and develop a combination to face the running lines and smarts of Ireland's O'Driscoll, who'll slice up any hesitancy. I think Barnes will get the nod and he can slot in just fine if McCabe is exposed in any of the next two upcoming tests.

Just happy to see it finally tried. Not saying it is my prefered option. My biggest issue for that inside centre gig is to run the backline defence. The two big performers in this role are Barnes and Ant Fainga'a and my prefered option is a two horse race between these two. Barnes is a bit more heavy on experience and Ant has the form this year. Both are proven to work well with Cooper also.

M

Mojoman

Bit like comparing an apple to an orange Bullrush...wasn't Quade at the back on defence? It's a given, Carter is a way better defender, and Cooper really needs to improve his defensive game but, Carter had more opportunity to make tackles.

I'm wondering whether, with an erratically brilliant 5/8 like Quade, having a second 5/8 option is the way to go? When things aren't quite working for QC (Quade Cooper), a Giteau or O'Connor at 12 would open up attacking options, give Cooper breathing space and a chance to regain composure, and present the opposition with a few more questions in defence. The two crash baller options in the Centres doesn't allow for this latitude.

I agree with you. IMO you need a Gits or Barnes outside Cooper to;

A) Relieve the playmaking pressure off him
B) Step in when things aren't quite working

Lets face it, Cooper had a poor game, but lets also put it into perspective. Who hasn't had a poor game when the pressure is on? I've seen Carter, Wilkinson, Larkham, Merhtens and Carlos Spencer (many many poor test matches) have poor games too.

The key to stopping Cooper is stopping those around him ie, Genia. The AB's did that well on Sat night with rush defence, attacking the breakdown and at the same time giving Dan Carter room on attack.

If you plonked Cooper into the AB backline on the weekend dare I say he would've caused alot of havoc.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Just happy to see it finally tried. Not saying it is my prefered option. My biggest issue for that inside centre gig is to run the backline defence. The two big performers in this role are Barnes and Ant Fainga'a and my prefered option is a two horse race between these two. Barnes is a bit more heavy on experience and Ant has the form this year. Both are proven to work well with Cooper also.

Pretty much agree, but I like the kicking dimension that Barnes brings over Fainga'a.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I agree. Ideally I'd love to see Barnes slot straight in to 12.

I can't lie, I did have hope a few weeks ago with McCabe in that jersey. He's a bloody hard worker, you have to give him that. But we really do need a foil for Cooper, and Barnes gives us that cool head, leadership and defence that we require. I really hope he's good to go come WC time.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I have great reservations of Barnes and Cooper together. He is a good player. But all too often I have seen him revert back to the old kick everything routine.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I agree. Ideally I'd love to see Barnes slot straight in to 12.

I can't lie, I did have hope a few weeks ago with McCabe in that jersey. He's a bloody hard worker, you have to give him that. But we really do need a foil for Cooper, and Barnes gives us that cool head, leadership and defence that we require. I really hope he's good to go come WC time.

Funny enough Cooper seems to bring the best out in Barnes. That nasty habit of kicking good ball away tends to disapear when they combine.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
With Cooper at 10 barnes won't get much chance to kick the ball. Either he will get cut out or he will receive a flat ball close to the defense.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Funny enough Cooper seems to bring the best out in Barnes. That nasty habit of kicking good ball away tends to disapear when they combine.

Agreed. I actually think Barnes is better at 12 in tests, although he is a very good 10 at Super level. His defensive focus doesn't detract because he is less pivotal in attack, he tends to be a kicking option when kicks are needed rather than over-kicking as a playmaker. He's a very cerebral player, sometimes too much so, and being at 12 seems to work better with his mindset -- focus on defense, kick when necessary, take the hits, and act as a second playmaker without needing to be a miracle worker.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Can't see McCabe losing his spot short of a major brain fade. His work rate and defensive accuracy has been staggering.

Re watch the footage and look for him. You'll see the bugger everywhere lurking ready to chip in. And ready to cut down a runner. He has steel nerves and a good turn of speed.

He's also learning, fast. Did you guys see his swerving run at the start on Sat? He wrong footed Carter on the outside. Carter got him, barely. If he hadn't it was on for young and old. Check it out with O'Connor to his right and Quade in support, its at about 30 secs in iirc. And then theres the quick pass he made to Elsom for Elsoms try. That took some nerve and skill. You can find that at about 75:30. Also nice to see Elsom utterly wrong foot Thorn ;) Theres also a nice section where he sets up Higgers, tails him, and clears out nicely, resulting in a promising offload by Higgers from the ground.

I could run you a long list of plays he contributed to actually. It's not that he does big things so much as constantly doing the little things that keep things on track. And I think you'd be brave to not see him getting into the groove on bigger things too as he settles in.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah he thrives on responsibility and in Super Rugby it is a hightened role. This level brings players with the same quallities into the same side. Fitting in is the challange, I guess and Barnes is good at taking a step back.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd love to see McCabe be a successful Wallaby as I love his attitude. However, in the last 12 months our backline has functioned best with Genia - Cooper - Barnes as the playmakers. McCabe could still be an option elsewhere on the paddock, but Berrick remains our best 12 IMHO.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
As a Wallabies fan I'm happy to see the All Blacks in a RWC knockout high pressure match. They always seem to wilt under pressure (in a RWC knockout match that is).

Sorry couldn't help myself.

no problem, but you are inaccurate. We have won more knock out RWC games than we have lost and are undefeated in RWC knockout games in New Zealand.

tell me, where is that tournament happening again :)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'd love to see McCabe be a successful Wallaby as I love his attitude. However, in the last 12 months our backline has functioned best with Genia - Cooper - Barnes as the playmakers. McCabe could still be an option elsewhere on the paddock, but Berrick remains our best 12 IMHO.

On current form McCabe could easily displace AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
no problem, but you are inaccurate. We have won more knock out RWC games than we have lost and are undefeated in RWC knockout games in New Zealand.

tell me, where is that tournament happening again :)

Since when does a joke have to be accurate?
But I will play your game.

As a Wallabies fan I'm happy to see the All Blacks in a RWC knockout high pressure match. They always wilt under pressure against Australia (in a RWC knockout match that is).

Is that better?

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Since when does a joke have to be accurate?
But I will play your game.

As a Wallabies fan I'm happy to see the All Blacks in a RWC knockout high pressure match. They always wilt under pressure against Australia (in a RWC knockout match that is).

Is that better?

I doubt we will see a NZ-Aus match in the RWC so it really doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.