• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

What Quade should have been doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
As a Wallabies fan I'm happy to see the All Blacks in a RWC knockout high pressure match. They always seem to wilt under pressure (in a RWC knockout match that is).

Sorry couldn't help myself.

V

vikingbrad

Another theory

OK, here's another theory but one I wouldn't put straight to Quade.

Quade's girlfriend, Stephanie Rice, came back on Wednesday before Bledisloe after being away for 6 weeks or something training and competing at World Swimming Championships.

She also went across to Auckland with him.

Now can't deny him personal time but perhaps we wasn't purely focussed on rugby.

Perhaps a ban on WAGs for RWC is in order.

What's the saying, abstinence makes the heart grow fonder :)

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Some things that could have won us the game.

Our defensive line speed could have better to put the same pressure on the AB's backline.

When the line speed is good like that have the forwards take ownership and pick and drive a bit more.

A few mauls might have worked.

Cooper being more paitent.

I didn't understand the tactic of attempting to play the game at break neck speed like the AB's.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quade was doing what Quade does, he tries things and sometimes they don't come off. That is just the way he rolls.

The ABs we rushing hard to cut out his space and no 10 works well under that level of pressure and with that level of effectiveness, they kept it up for the whole game and he got deeper and deeper trying to get some space.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I am in the middle of analysing it, but I can say that in the first 15 almost all of Quade's options were excellent, they just didn't pay off in tries. Ironically his one mistake was running. It was a mistake because the 'gap' he chose was McCaw and Kaino. Sobering thought to have those two sprinting for you every chance you get the ball from set piece...

A

all black rugby

Quade did not manage his role very well. Sure he was going backwards most of the time. But that is where he is supposed to come up with plan B. Not throw stupid passes and aimless kicks. DC miles ahead. MILES.

J

Jay

I am in the middle of analysing it, but I can say that in the first 15 almost all of Quade's options were excellent, they just didn't pay off in tries. Ironically his one mistake was running. It was a mistake because the 'gap' he chose was McCaw and Kaino. Sobering thought to have those two sprinting for you every chance you get the ball from set piece...

That intercept by Smith was in the first 15 minutes (lead to the AB's first penalty), as was the nothing kick that lead to the AB's first try.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Harsh call IMO to say smiths intercept was a poor option. He'd never pass the ball! I am far from saying he didn't push passes, just noting he hadn't in my view done so in the first 15, and I think that's interesting. Smiths intercept was actually the point, it was likely a reason he stood too deep.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quade was doing what Quade does, he tries things and sometimes they don't come off. That is just the way he rolls.

The ABs we rushing hard to cut out his space and no 10 works well under that level of pressure and with that level of effectiveness, they kept it up for the whole game and he got deeper and deeper trying to get some space.
Thats right, the difference between Quade being a magician and a dunce is very small and we have to accept the good with the bad. More questions should be asked about why the AB's were able to put so much pressure on Quade in this test.

D

daz

Watching the replay and i must say i've never seen a player so scared of contact. He threw a couple of forward passes and an interception cos it looked like he didn't want to get hit.

Or, the other way of looking at it is that he was trying to keep the ball alive. I'm not saying that he got it right every time, but I suspect that would have been his intent.

N

Newter

I've read several of your posts and frankly dont know whether to take your comments as an effort at being serious or to regard you as a mere wind-up merchant. I'm sure you will not lose too much sleep either way, but if you do, I suggest you take advantage of the time and re-watch the game and then take a peep at other informed opinion (Bob Dwyer's blog for example) as I think you'd benefit from it.

Ah, the argument from authority. Champ, BD is mostly just trying to sell his coaching manual.

What I take from the criticism here is that a flyhalf really needs to make no mistakes at all to get a clean rap.

Personally, I think his ratio of good to bad plays was somewhere in the vicinity of 80:20. And he handled the ball a lot.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ah, the argument from authority. Champ, BD is mostly just trying to sell his coaching manual.

What I take from the criticism here is that a flyhalf really needs to make no mistakes at all to get a clean rap.

Personally, I think his ratio of good to bad plays was somewhere in the vicinity of 80:20. And he handled the ball a lot.

He handled the ball as much as he wanted to.

But I wonder - how much harder do you think the guys around QC (Quade Cooper) have to work defensively compared with the guys around DC? Carter made the most tackles out of all the backs with 12 tackles on Sat nite and 3 tackle assists. How many do you reckon QC (Quade Cooper) made?

something

Jim Clark (26)
he does have immense pressure on him. probably more than anybody else in wallabies. i am a big quade fan and i think come WC all the nerves will be gone and he will be playing as well as he did in the closing few matches in super 15. in the reds v. crusaders final Quade and DC were almost on par (with DC being, as always, just that little bit better)

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think the reason Quade Cooper has copped a bit of flak is not that he had a poor game (he did), nor that his wasn't as good as Dan Carter (he wasn't, nor has he ever been, even close), but because the whole defensive set up of the team has been altered to accomodate him. In essence, he has been given a pass on about half of the work he should be doing (defending) - which others are required to shoulder - in order for him to 'work his magic'. If the magic is not there or doesn't come off there will tend to be people who are disappointed.

What should he have been doing? Whatever his coach asks of him. I think that to a large extent he has done as he was asked to do. Should he be given a pass on defending? I'm not so sure that carrying a non tackler at the highest test level can ever work long term, but if you want to go down that path you have to go all the way - even as far as dropping the best individuals in favour of the type of workhorse defender who will be needed.

Reactions: BPC

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

But I wonder - how much harder do you think the guys around QC (Quade Cooper) have to work defensively compared with the guys around DC? Carter made the most tackles out of all the backs with 12 tackles on Sat nite and 3 tackle assists. How many do you reckon QC (Quade Cooper) made?
Bit like comparing an apple to an orange Bullrush...wasn't Quade at the back on defence? It's a given, Carter is a way better defender, and Cooper really needs to improve his defensive game but, Carter had more opportunity to make tackles.

I'm wondering whether, with an erratically brilliant 5/8 like Quade, having a second 5/8 option is the way to go? When things aren't quite working for QC (Quade Cooper), a Giteau or O'Connor at 12 would open up attacking options, give Cooper breathing space and a chance to regain composure, and present the opposition with a few more questions in defence. The two crash baller options in the Centres doesn't allow for this latitude.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I seriously would love to Know how this fits into the AB's stratagy (not being a smart arese with this question)? How many did Nonu make? Was Carters defensive load strategic to keep other players fresh?

Where Quade was poor was his skills were below par (by his own standards). His kicking and passing game was poor which is unusual for him. Good players will have bad days though.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree. It also looked to me like players weren't where Quade was expecting them to be, resulting in dropped ball etc. This is only going to improve with time together

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm wondering whether, with an erratically brilliant 5/8 like Quade, having a second 5/8 option is the way to go? When things aren't quite working for QC (Quade Cooper), a Giteau or O'Connor at 12 would open up attacking options, give Cooper breathing space and a chance to regain composure, and present the opposition with a few more questions in defence. The two crash baller options in the Centres doesn't allow for this latitude.

Does anyone else think that now is the time for O'Connor to have a chance at 12?

Not just sliding in to 10 from whatever, playing proper 12.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bit like comparing an apple to an orange Bullrush...wasn't Quade at the back on defence? It's a given, Carter is a way better defender, and Cooper really needs to improve his defensive game but, Carter had more opportunity to make tackles.

Given that the Wob's defensive structure has already had to change to accomodate Quade's weaknesses, do we really want to have to play another 5/8 at 12 just so there's back up in case he has some brain farts or just generally has a bad game?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I still think JOC (James O'Connor) or a fully fit Barnes may well be our best option at 12 but we've only had two proper tests with the McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) centre pairing and this kind of crash ball, hard running focus is definitely the trend in international rugby. No answers, really. Just more questions.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone else think that now is the time for O'Connor to have a chance at 12?

Not just sliding in to 10 from whatever, playing proper 12.

I would be happy to see it tried and I think JOC (James O'Connor) will be a great centre but I want to find out whether he and Cooper will compliment eachother. There is only one way to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.