• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force vs Reds, 2011R17

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Simmons and Cooper were good actually, the players around Cooper made him look bad
I think Simmons is outstanding every week, if Kev wasn't so loved by Reds fans and captain then I think Simmons would get more of a wrap. Dont get me wrong, Kev is an awesome player, but he does not seem to have to do as much as Simmons to get accolades.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am completely confident in the team to do the job over the next couple of weeks. We've shown that we bounce back well. Our first loss of the season, v the Tahs, was a big loss plus we lost Hynes and Horwill through to injury, but from there we went on to win seven in a row including hoodoo breaking wins in Canberra and in South Africa. Then we lost to the Canes, and we bounced back to beat the comp front runners Blues and Crusaders.

This is a team with a lot of pride in their work and I think they'll bounce back well.

Can't see any risks taken in terms of selection. Higgers will stay in the back row. I suspect it will be a straight Chambers in for Ant, with Shipperley in for Digby, Mozza to fullback and depending on injury Davies on the wing.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Rocket's rested for another week. If he is, Link will back another youngster or club player to do the job and then hopefully Digby and/or Rocket will be back for the Chiefs game.

It's no time for panic by any stretch of the imagination.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Reg, I reckon you are probably right. They've proven to be a pretty resilient bunch this year and I'll be tipping them to win. I still think you'll have some trouble in the pack and especially at the breakdown, where the Force back row will cause plenty of head aches.

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
:D
Could have something to do with his spastic running style. It is bizarre.

I'm glad someone else thought that. Watching him run to the line to score that try on the weekend my first thought was 'he's takin' the piss'.

On the replay I realised he is just a graduate of the Ministry of Silly Runs. :D

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Now I am just getting confused. Do you honestly think the Force will roll out a 'clearly superior outfit' to the Reds? Not that it matters, what you or I think about the individual players as rugby is a collective effort. However this comment still baffles me.

To clarify: Give or take a few, the head to head player comparison favours the Force 2:1, as it did when the Force played the Tahs. The Force lost then and I expect them to lose again. The two key factors in the Tahs winning IMO were:
  1. The Tahs wanted to win more and willed themselves over the line. I expect the Reds to have a similar will this weekend with so much resting on this game.
  2. The Force coaching team select poorly and put in place very negative game plans. Someone in their coaching panel is going to have to have a dramatic conversion if this is to change.
So I expect the Reds to win, despite the fact that this weekend the individual comparisons suggest that the Force are stronger individually. The Reds team, including the coaching team, will beat the Force team. That's as best I can explain it.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ewen has tweeted that he "has found some players and is looking forward to a double training day".

Anyone know who he's found?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pretty sure I just saw either a Reds player or a trainer (likely a trainer) driving down Kelvin Grove road on a little scooter, probably going home from training session no. 1. (was at about 11:30) It looked pretty funny.

Any idea who it was, Noddy?

(I know Latho used to cop it from the coaches when he turned up to training on his street bike.)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, not sure. I've seen him two. Almost knocked him over once, so hope it was only an Academy player or an analyst ( ;)) Will check it out for you.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Another banana skin for us this week but I'm sure the boys can bounce back. Gill has to start on the sole condition that the coaching staff at the Reds do not think it will compromise his development. Our fault last time was that we lacked pace in the backrow and a fetcher. That was many moons ago though. We haver to get in early and hit the Force forwards hard. Pretty much like the Brumbies did to us last week. Chambers should return to 13. I would also like a 5:2 split on the bench as we must go hard at their mobile pack all night.

I can't help but notice there is a lot of glass half stuff amongst Reds supporters. Chin up fellas as the boys need our support big time this weekend.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Another banana skin for us this week but I'm sure the boys can bounce back. Gill has to start on the sole condition that the coaching staff at the Reds do not think it will compromise his development. Our fault last time was that we lacked pace in the backrow and a fetcher. That was many moons ago though. We haver to get in early and hit the Force forwards hard. Pretty much like the Brumbies did to us last week. Chambers should return to 13. I would also like a 5:2 split on the bench as we must go hard at their mobile pack all night.

I can't help but notice there is a lot of glass half stuff amongst Reds supporters. Chin up fellas as the boys need our support big time this weekend.

Yeah I agree. I would throw everything we have at the force this weekend. Reds need to play the game as fast as they can, execute the kicks and keep the force on the back foot with strong performances at the set piece.

The breakdown is crucial, but I think if the reds keep throwing it round they can nullify the impact of the force back row.

D

daz

I will be at the game with my boy. Along with the 4 other Reds supporters in Perth, we may be somewhat outnumbered....

I see that some people are posting that the Force should get up in this game, and on paper, perhaps there are some valid points that can be made. However, I suspect the Reds would have penciled in a win against both Ponies and Force. The fact that they dropped a game at fortress QLD, should mean the Reds are absolutely primed to steam roll the Force.

Drop this game, and the Reds will prove that like last year, they are just not good enough at the pointy end of the season.

The battle at the breakdown should be immense. There is much to like about the Force and I expect a ripping running game.

I know inter-province rivalry precludes me from saying anything positive about the opposition, but I am really keen to see Stannard go head to head with Cooper.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can't wait either Daz and I expect it to be fairly willing. The intra conference games should be tough affairs at this end of the season because guys are playing for test jerseys. Expect the McCalman v Samo and Higgers v Hodgson battles to be enormous.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it'll be a good game for a neutral like me, although I think I'll be cheering the Force as the underdog (and I have a man-crush on Pocock). Having said that I wish robinson was fit so we could have seen him and Bam go head-to-head.

I just hope theres no more serious injuries to either team, for the good of Aus rugby and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.