• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantastic to see the full 80 minutes, full team effort by the Force against the Rebels.
The skills shown from the get-go were the same as on display in the trial games - especially against the Pampas XV.
This was more than a squad trying to get a win for their captain it was proving that the long pre-season was effective.
However the starting efforts against currently #2 and #4 on the table were well below par!! The turnaround came in the 2nd half against the Brumbies.
The Force has earned some respect from this effort but need to show the same week-in/week-out. Need to follow-up next week against the Highlanders. (I'm looking forward to being a Spot of Blue in Dunedin!!)
Not just a much improved offensive effort (1st 4-try BP in 28 matches) but fantastic defence to keep the Rebs pointless for 79 minutes.
Alby's MOM performance should counter some of his nay-sayers.
Hodgo's 21 tackles, try and leading from the front shows why he is still a worthy Captain and needs to be on the field (not on the bench!).
Another consistent effort by McCalman (my MOM) - which shows the benefit of his ability to focus on his own game without the distraction of being Captain.
Improved effort by Wykes, Cottrell, Ebersohn and Rasolea (esp. under high ball).
Hayward at FB and Morahan on wing my preferred combination.
Ollie's pre-season efforts should continue to be rewarded by coming off the bench but he still has a long way to go at this level.
Heiberg has potential but short of the mark from what he's shown to date in trials and for Force A.
Stander continued to have good impact from off the bench and is a game-ready No 6 or 8 when required.
The Force definitely needs neither Deans nor Brand O'Connor.
Foley continues to get my vote to see out his full 3 years and continue the rebuilding of the team after the 7 years of mismanagement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great selection decisions by Foley this week.

Ebersohn and Hayward are definitely in your best backline currently.

Rasolea had a better game but I'm still not convinced by him. He's currently your worst back so tinkering with 13 is probably worth a go (except not next game. You had a big win and should play the same team if possible).

Cottrell definitely looks like he's your best 6.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I was just about to post the exact same thing, Rasolea while improved was for the most part anonymous in a dominant backline. I think it's time for CTM to get a gig however I think we are all acutely aware of the dangers of changing a winning combination after the weekend.

Cottrel, Benny Mac give the Force forward pack much needed punch in aggression. As long as those two are playing it is really irrelevant who is at 7 for the force.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd have to say that McCalman is in close to career best form (albeit from a small sample of games).

He's really imposing himself physically on games even when his team is getting beaten (i.e. Tahs and Brumbies).

In a winning side against the Rebels, he was rampaging.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Benny Macs a legend. His "no bullshit" attitude is refreshing.

Rasolea probably saved his starting spot with the offload to put Cottrel away. CTM is a real gamble and the fact that Foley has yet to use him tells you that Foley doesn't rate him. I would give Rasolea another chance this week, but if he doesn't show anything then its time to look at other options.

13 is still a weakness in Aus Rugby. I haven't seen much from Kuridrani yet this year to show he has carried last years spring tour form through with him.

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
Did the win in Perth generate a lot of media interest in the papers and local TV. Or is it all AFL........

M

Moono75

Did the win in Perth generate a lot of media interest in the papers and local TV. Or is it all AFL....

I think we need to get more than 1 win to justify any type of increased media hype. There was good coverage in the West Australian today (5 pages in) and it gets a run on the news but any kind media blitz won't come until we can manage to string a series of wins together and push above the .500 mark, something we haven't done for a number of years now. The big test this week is consistency. Can they bring that performance on the road against the Highlanders?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Sorry Moono, they will have to win the damn thing before I am ready to believe.

It's a defence mechanism built up over many years of disappointment.

That's not say I'm not loving it.

M

Moono75

Im enjoying the oasis while it lasts. Force quenching the thrist after many years in the desert!

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
I have been pretty critical of Rasolea in the past... but I think he is growing in confidence and asking a few questions of the defense. Centre 'partnerships' are crucial to successful play and that pairing is being given the time to gel, and proving some naysayers (like me) wrong.

I also think that Godwin has been playing well within himself... his defense is still top shelf, but he has a lot more potential to unleash.

Both things bode well for the season... you want to be playing your best rugby at the finish, not the start. They are also showing a refreshing ability to finish chances off... that is tough to coach, so credit to them!

All in all, I am very positive about the direction of the team now. The Chiefs will be tough, and are still the class of the comp, so whilst they *may* halt the winning streak, it will be a hard game.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought Godwin's defence wasn't great in the Waratahs game. He missed 2 tackles that lead to long range tries. One on Folau (it happens) and one on Carraro.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Godwin has been close to his 2013 form so far this season.

He's playing well, but in 2013 he looked far more like a potential Wallaby. I don't think he's adapted well to having a better team around him. Last year he had to be such a one man band. This year he's got more support but so far hasn't seemed to work out exactly how he can get the best out of both himself and the team in that situation. I'm sure as the season progresses that will happen. The guy is all class.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Godwin's defence wasn't great in the Waratahs game. He missed 2 tackles that lead to long range tries. One on Folau (it happens) and one on Carraro.
Absolutely his defence in that first game against the tahs was very poor he made 6 tackles and missed 3.

But since then he has made 30 tackles and missed 3 so he has really stepped it up.

All in all he has made 36 tackles and missed 6 in 4 games 83.3% tackle rate which is very good.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Best possible outcome.

He will only miss 1 game as its a 2 week ban which ends on the 29th of March the force play the chiefs this weekend and then have a bye.

They then face the reds on the 6th of April which he will be available for.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think Godwin has been close to his 2013 form so far this season.

He's playing well, but in 2013 he looked far more like a potential Wallaby. I don't think he's adapted well to having a better team around him. Last year he had to be such a one man band. This year he's got more support but so far hasn't seemed to work out exactly how he can get the best out of both himself and the team in that situation. I'm sure as the season progresses that will happen. The guy is all class.
I think that is how he has played Rugby all his life,it will be more of a gradual process,rather than a one season thing I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.