• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nah mate, Kyle is heart of the West. My years of anger with you lot gutting our club have subsided.

I'm not sure what Kyle's best position will be long-term, but Zack didn't look like the 10 to unleash the men outside of him today. First round, so who-knows how he will build from there. But you would think that the more times Kyles gets the ball in his hands, the more correct decisions will be made.
You would think that, but he played a handful of games at 10 at the beginning of 2013 before he was moved into the centres. And frankly, he didn't set the world alight at five eighth. It's Zack's first game at 10 for the Force; I'm happy to see him develop there for a few more games yet, instead of 'throwing him on the scrap heap' as it were.

On to the game, I only tuned in to it after half time, so will need to watch a full replay to have a more informed opinion of the Force, but from what I saw, there wasn't a great deal of evolution from last year.

We are still employing this one-off-the-ruck, multiple-phased, kick for territory based game but we very rarely capitalised on our large amount of possession and territory from last year.

T

TOCC

I though the halfback was average?l. Very slow to clear the ball once he had his hands on it..

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Same old, same old from the Force. You can't knock their physically. They'll pressure your break down and really get off the line and belt you for a couple of phases. However, if you make it to phases 3 or 4 you're virtually assured of at least a half line break.

Bottom line, nobody can fault the Force's drive and aggression but they have some seriously questionable defensive execution.

On the subject of Goodwin, he looks like a 10 physically but his strength in contact and offloading in contact suggest he's a 12 or perhaps could even be a Conrad Smith-esc 13. He's looked pretty rubbish at 10 for the Aussie U20s and when he's played there sparingly for the Force. He could do better eventually but if he's going well at 12, and he is, leave him there.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Watching the match yesterday I wasn't that impressed with the backrow. Ben McCalman works his butt off and clearly lads from the front, but I thought the 6 and 7 weren't in enough of the action. Granted you can't really compare them with Hoops, but at least making a contest at the breakdown would at least secure a few more phases. Pity they couldn't make more of the advantage when Paddy was off the field, they tried for the push over try one too many times. Skelton was an absolute monster and certainly took the wind out of a few Force charges.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Nah mate, Kyle is heart of the West. My years of anger with you lot gutting our club have subsided.

I'm not sure what Kyle's best position will be long-term, but Zack didn't look like the 10 to unleash the men outside of him today. First round, so who-knows how he will build from there. But you would think that the more times Kyles gets the ball in his hands, the more correct decisions will be made.
To be fair to him,he did not have a variety of guys hitting holes for him.
Seems to me Foley prefers them to hover near the ball carrier so they are in position to clean out,rather than run through the line with or without the ball.
No one will excel at 10 in that environment.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
IMO, any 10 in the world would find it hard to attack with the coaching philosophy that Foley implements within his teams. It's still a very slow grinding type of play that takes a lot out if the forward pack and the backs find it very hard to attack into a set defensive line. They back a driving maul but when teams can counter that it breaks the spirit of the pack. Rasolea barely touched the ball and when he did he had plenty defenders in front of him likewise Morahan.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Where else do you think the Force will go?

Champagne tastes on a beer budget..

Local talent development will take even longer.but improving with the new competitions.
I think the current method of trying to develop local players in combination with naturalising a few South Africans is the correct method. I just think you need a coach who will draw in a few stars who want to play under him as the final piece in the puzzle.

If you look at the most succesful juniors the Force have developed (Pocock, O'Connor, Godwin), they all came to Australia before they were 15 (OConnor being born here but growing up in NZ).

If a player of their calibre is coming up in SA rugby, your not going to get a crack at them as they will have already been identified and fast tracked by the SARU. If the Force's intent is to go and poach 23 year olds we're fucked.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Any updates on Brynard Stander?

Haven't managed to find any details from the Force yet.

Hope he is OK, looked like a bloody decent knock to the head from Potgieter. Was he actually knocked out, or was the stretcher just a precaution (think it's standard protocol now)?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hope he is OK, looked like a bloody decent knock to the head from Potgieter. Was he actually knocked out, or was the stretcher just a precaution (think it's standard protocol now)?

It was Palu who ran at him and his knee collected Stander's head.

I think he was out cold initially.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i feel the force's major problem is their work off set piece….a lot of teams really use that first phase ball off a scrum or line out as a big kickstart to their momentum going forward.

Where as the force run a simple forward crash. Now i know the force have other holes in their predominantly forward rumble game plan. But having players like Benny Mac or Nathan Charles coming around the corner after putting Cummins into space would see them get them 15 metres in 2 phases rather than 5.

Also Hodgo is a solidier and a great leader but he has no impact on the field. I know he is getting around the park well but he rarely dominates contact. Force need to drop him and wykes start Alcock And MMM and bring Walton to the bench

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
On the subject of Goodwin, he looks like a 10 physically but his strength in contact and offloading in contact suggest he's a 12 or perhaps could even be a Conrad Smith-esc 13. He's looked pretty rubbish at 10 for the Aussie U20s and when he's played there sparingly for the Force. He could do better eventually but if he's going well at 12, and he is, leave him there.

I don't agree at all. He was excellent against Scotland in the first U20s game. The second game was wet weather rugby, which he is not suited to and he didn't set the world on fire. That game against Argentina and the following game agaisnt the French was lost in the forwards.

Godwin is the closest thing we've had to Stephen Larkham. Excellent passing game, excellent running game, solid defence, very average kicker. I wonder if Foley will consider moving Godwin to 10 next year and slot someone else (Luke Burton maybe) into 12.

T

tranquility

I'm sure it's in the works, and wouldn't it be great to see two Perth boys being the nucleus of the WA backline. You little ripper.

Sounds as if the WA U20s are going well too, so the grassroots appears to be coming along a treat. Just need to get the seniors going to keep the cash and interest from the public in the black.

Hodgo is a legend of the club, but Alcock has to start. Was MMM only on the pine because he is coming back from injury? He would start at any club in Super Rugby, so it doesn't make much sense to not have him out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.