• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

All the pieces are falling into place for the Force. They have put together a very talented coaching and management team and made the necessary changes to hopefully deliver better onfield results going forward. You couldn't ask for much more from a rebuild/relaunch.

If they get some good results this season with the coaching team they have it may help to attract a few higher profile players to the West.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Or they could focus on developing their own.. .
They aren't going to develop players that will fill in all the gaps in the short term. If they can import some more talent and set up some good programs for future development then in 10 years time they may have a good percentage of players from WA. The better the force go the more attention they will get in the local market and the more likely they are to develop their own players.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I like this soundbite from Sinderberry.

“It’s imperative that we be an organisation that stands for something and has a clear direction while remaining relevant and entwined with the local rugby community. Grassroots and community rugby is the most fundamental aspect of our game and its integral that we continue to build participation at all levels and ages as well as providing a pathway for our talented and aspiring players, coaches and referees.

As a fan you really couldn't ask for more than they have done over this past 6 months to right past wrongs. It shows a level of maturity within the organisation I was fearful might not exist. Let's hope this is the turning point for us as a club.

T

TOCC

They aren't going to develop players that will fill in all the gaps in the short term. If they can import some more talent and set up some good programs for future development then in 10 years time they may have a good percentage of players from WA. The better the force go the more attention they will get in the local market and the more likely they are to develop their own players.

We've been hearing the same thing since 2005.. Let me clarify:

My opposition isn't against the Force recruiting from the East coast, its only natural that that is going to happen and its good to see players get the opportunity..
My opposition is against this persistence to recruit players of 'higher profile' as if this is the holy grail of giving your club credibility, i don't believe it works...

Instead, look at what the Brumbies did in 2011-2012 and replicate...

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think we have one high profile player in our whole squad any more. Sure we made attempts to pick up a few high profile players in the last few years but who wouldn't want Will Genia or Quade Cooper playing for them?

And to be fair from 2006 the 10 years Jets quoted would see us through to 2015. We have currently 'produced' almost 10 Super Rugby standard players (Ryan Tyrrell, Kieran Longbottom, Cruze Ah-Nau, Olly Hoskins, Justin Turner, James Stannard, Kyle Godwin, Zack Holmes, Dane Haylet-Petty) and I reckon we'll bust over 15 by the end of 2015. We are on the right path- it is just taking a little longer than is desired.

M

Moono75

Or they could focus on developing their own.. .
Every team needs a couple of high profile players on their books to garner attention. For sure it is important that you develop local talent with a clear pathway defined from junior rugby to a career in the big game. But his pathway and deveoplment of junior home grown talent is built on the back of having a successfull product.....ie a winning super rugby franchise. At this point in time the Force have invested in a group of talented players with potential with a view to moulding them into a winning unit.....but in the short term you need players who will get you the attention and profile until you can bring top notch home grown talent online. In WA we are slowly seeing this come to fruition but it is still going to be years down the track before we have some sort of reliable feeder system for S15 quality talent. To go all out on just local talent in the Force would be inviting your own extinction.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I like this soundbite from Sinderberry.

As a fan you really couldn't ask for more than they have done over this past 6 months to right past wrongs. It shows a level of maturity within the organisation I was fearful might not exist. Let's hope this is the turning point for us as a club.

Just as long as the CEO keeps his distance from team selections and learns from previous mistakes elsewhere.

T

TOCC

Every team needs a couple of high profile players on their books to garner attention. For sure it is important that you develop local talent with a clear pathway defined from junior rugby to a career in the big game. But his pathway and deveoplment of junior home grown talent is built on the back of having a successfull product...ie a winning super rugby franchise. At this point in time the Force have invested in a group of talented players with potential with a view to moulding them into a winning unit...but in the short term you need players who will get you the attention and profile until you can bring top notch home grown talent online. In WA we are slowly seeing this come to fruition but it is still going to be years down the track before we have some sort of reliable feeder system for S15 quality talent. To go all out on just local talent in the Force would be inviting your own extinction.

Good performances and winning rugby will promote the game better then any player ever would, players profiles will subsequently be developed on the back of this..

Recruit talented players looking for an opportunity like the Brumbies of 2011, the Reds of 2010 were largely a group of nobodies as well.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's a tough one. I agree in principle but it is hard to argue with the fact that while Matt Giteau was playing for the Force we won more, often put in good performances and the profile of the game (based on local media coverage) was higher in WA. We also had bigger crowds.

Not that it really matters now, but I would also point out that the Reds of 2010 and Brumbies of 2011 only recruited a group of nobodies because they had no other options. The Reds were struggling financially and had performed so badly in 2009 that they weren't exactly a great place to go to. The Brumbies in 2011 had a season from hell and had just changed coaches. It also wasn't appealing and as soon as they had some success they went straight toward head hunting David Pocock- a player whose profile probably couldn't be much higher in Australian Rugby unless he stole something or hit someone.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
as soon as they had some success they went straight toward head hunting David Pocock- a player whose profile probably couldn't be much higher in Australian Rugby unless he stole something or hit someone.

That point has got some Force!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I do not blame Pocock for bailing out of the Force, the franchise looked to be pretty disorganised for most of last year.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Sea of Blue just went over 10,000 in memberships
Good to know the franchise can rely on wide popular support. Hope the NIB Stadium will be always almost full, too. Unluckily I'm just 12,000 Km far from Perth, too much to get the 10,001st membership card :D
Anyway, what do you think about the next pre-season games?
What will be our starting/your favourite backline? Any suggestions?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good to know the franchise can rely on wide popular support. Hope the NIB Stadium will be always almost full, too. Unluckily I'm just 12,000 Km far from Perth, too much to get the 10,001st membership card :D
Anyway, what do you think about the next pre-season games?
What will be our starting/your favourite backline? Any suggestions?

Get a supporters membership:

http://www.westernforce.com.au/MembershipHospitality/Membership/SupporterMemberships.aspx

I have a Reds supporters membership as I live in Sydney. They are a good way to support the team when you live far away, plus give you options on seats on the odd occasion you can make a game.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I have a supporters membership as I live in Melbourne.

It gets you a hat, some stickers, some magazines and a regular email updating you on what is going on.

In regards to the backline, I would like to see:

Matheson
Ebersohn
Cummins
Haywood
Tupou
Mafi
SKN

Sheehan
Godwin
Stubbs / Dellit

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
yeah i can't wait till the trial to see what backline the coaches have in mind. Mathewson/Ebersohn is a given, but the centres I'd say Tupou is a likely starter and the other spot is up for grabs.

Cummins will have first choice at the wing. With a couple of guys fighting for the other spot, I wonder if Rapana is ready to finally go?

And fullback will be interesting. Mafi and SKN come to find.

The thing that separates this year from last is the extra competition for spots. A good sign.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Rapana was cut?
Yeah he was cut before the start of the preseason. Interestingly his brother is in the force acadamy. Id be looking at something like this.

9 Alby
10 Sais
11 Cummins
12 CTM
13 Tupou
14 Delit/Stubbs/Junior
15 Mafi

20 Snowden
21 Godwin
22 Hayward

As far as i have heard abd read SNK isnt due till end of feb so Mafi will have time to show the 15 is his.

Sheehan will miss at least the first 6 weeks with the injury he got on the EOYT Snowden to be thrown in the deep end straight up.

CTM and Hayward will fight it out for the 12. I think when Sais is on the field CTM would be a good fit running off his shoulder and when Godwin comes on Hayward will be there to help him out as a second play maker.

11 and 13 speak for themselves and you could almost swap them around if you want with Tupou more than a handy blindside winger as well as saying he would like a crack at 15 at some stage.

The 14 is not so easy anyone of the 3 named above could make a go of it. Delit prob gets up being more a fullback type player giving another kicking option.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.