• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

For 2013 the Force have added some unkown quantities, they're gonna be different and thats a good thing. The coaching staff has improved massivley on last year. I'm excited.....lets start already!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For 2013 the Force have added some unkown quantities, they're gonna be different and thats a good thing. The coaching staff has improved massivley on last year. I'm excited...lets start already!

I hope your enthusiasm is widely shared, it would be great to see the sort of crowds that the Force attracted in the early days of the franchise.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This won't be a breakout year for the Force, but I suspect they will identify some good talent and then clear out a few journeymen at the end of 2013 to hopefully sign some talent that will help take them to a finals position in 2014.

They must be one of the few Aussie teams to easily slide in under the salary cap.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
This won't be a breakout year for the Force, but I suspect they will identify some good talent and then clear out a few journeymen at the end of 2013 to hopefully sign some talent that will help take them to a finals position in 2014.
I completley agree.
Let's not forget that this franchise has been through a bad period last year. The good new is that finally the bad outlook seems to have been reversed. But it's too early to lift feet off the ground and dream about results out of reach. :D
For the talent to sign...it's a pity O'Connor resigned. A talent like him would have been the missing jolly for the backline of the team.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Force wider training group pays dividends

Former Melbourne Rebels hooker Heath Tessmann has signed a short-term contract with the Emirates Western Force for the start of the 2013 Super Rugby season.

The 28-year-old has been a part of the Emirates Western Force’s wider training group throughout the pre-season along with locks Ben Matwijow and Adam Coleman, winger Corey Brown and five local players from the RugbyWA Bankwest Academy.

The Queensland-born rake has been called into the senior squad as cover for Ben Whittaker, who suffered a broken foot and is expected to miss the opening rounds of the 2013 Super Rugby season.

Tessmann played 10 Super Rugby matches for the Melbourne Rebels during 2011 and 2012. His contract will continue until Whittaker is available to resume his place in the squad.

“These players were invited to be part of the squad to not only assist with their rugby development but to provide coverage should we require it during the season,” Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley said.

“This ensures that when and if they are required, we have continuity.

“Heath is an experienced player and knows the demands of Super Rugby. This is a good opportunity for him to push for a place in the team and further his Super Rugby experience.”

Name:
Heath Tessmann
Born: 03/03/1984
Position: Hooker
Height: 182cm
Weight: 105kg
Representative Rugby: 2011-2012 Melbourne Rebels, 2009-2010 Queensland Academy

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/905/ArticleID/8215/Default.aspx

Will this mean Hilterbrand will start from the bench behind Charles, or isTessmann more likely to take Whittakers spot in the 22?

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
The article listed the interstate players and mentioned "and five local players from the RugbyWA Bankwest Academy."

Do we know who they are?

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
The article listed the interstate players and mentioned "and five local players from the RugbyWA Bankwest Academy."

Do we know who they are?

Oliver Hoskins is probably one. He was also part of the Western Force's wider training group in 2012.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tessmann is all but certain to take it

I get the feeling the Force view Hilterbrand as an investment, one that's not yet ready to pay out.

Tessman's an okay player, he'll be fine for 20 minutes each game. That's probably the view they're taking.

I have nothing against the bloke, but he won't set the world alight.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i think tessman is pretty lucky to be playing S15 in alll honesty, as i believe there are several therhookers that are better than him running around the premier comps.

He really just seemed to be at the right place at the right time

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i think tessman is pretty lucky to be playing S15 in alll honesty, as i believe there are several therhookers that are better than him running around the premier comps.

What get's him over the line is that he's build for it.

Everybody knows it takes time to condition a player for Super Rugby, Tessman is already there conditioning wise. That's why alright players who sneak into a Super Rugby squad (like Luke Holmes) just seem to stick around.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He also committed to going to Perth to be part of a wider training group hoping to get an opportunity.

He was definitely in the right place at the right time but it was him who put himself there.

Whilst there might be better players running around in Shute Shield/Premier Rugby, heading to Perth just hoping to get a shot is a big commitment and something that most people wouldn't do.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He also committed to going to Perth to be part of a wider training group hoping to get an opportunity.

He was definitely in the right place at the right time but it was him who put himself there.

Whilst there might be better players running around in Shute Shield/Premier Rugby, heading to Perth just hoping to get a shot is a big commitment and something that most people wouldn't do.

Traditionally it doesn't pay off though. It's funny how Vic and WA are asking ambitious players to move locally for a shot but asking their locals to move interstate to prove themselves.

Good on him though, he's a shiteload more talented then me and you only get a chance from hard work (even if some luck gets you over the line).

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)

I'm with you on this one TD. I think the replacement hooker at UofQLD is a better player, but as you say, sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Looks like a promising choice.

Reid copped some flak in recent years, and deservedly so, but what he and the board have done in the last 6 months has been pretty good.

Cleaned out dead wood and recruited some better players especially in the backline. Good coaching team in place - jury maybe out on Axel Foley (although he is a very good forwards coach) but they have especially good assistant coaches there now: Steve Meehan, Chook Fowler, Nick Stiles and David Joyce.

The Force aren't going to win the title but they will win more than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.