• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like your thinking but I think pigs will fly before the Force play him at six. What might happen with a good season is he might be a good candidate for the LH lock position for the Wallabies.
Ruggo,
Go back to page 66 & Foley said that MMM will prepare to play as Blindside & Lock with the priority being blindside.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Personally I would swap Wykes and and MMM Forcefield.

I would be tempted too- but I don't imagine it matters that much except maybe in the scrums.

If you named a backrow with both McCalman and MMM in it then Battye would not be on the bench, you'd go double loosey.

That being said, I can't picture them running with a starting 8 without a fit Alcock.

Maybe on the double loosey. I suppose it depends on form, injuries, etc. Our problem is a lot of our loose forwards are from the same mould. No point having say both Brown and Cottrell or McCaffrey, etc. Besides which Hodgson is likely to play 80 minutes.

I think Matt Hodgson is a better 7 than Alcock. Also, Hodgson at 6 or 8 with Alcock at 7 leaves us a little light in the backrow. Since our second row has more mobility and less grunt it would be better to have a bigger, more physical backrow IMHO.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hodgson was the second choice Wallaby 7 behind Pocock until Hooper hit the scene. He didn't play 7 for the Force last season but he played a handful of games at 7 in 2011. He wasn't nearly as good as Pocock at the breakdown but he definitely has a better skill set and has a lot more mongrel. I probably haven't seen enough of Alcock but I see him as Michael Hooper minus Hooper's strong defence. I'd prefer to see Alcock used as an impact player rather than a starter- but then again maybe I haven't seen enough of him playing.

I would also point out that Hodgson has been used as a line-out jumper by the Force. If we run out the back five I suggested, we would have 5 potential jumpers.

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
"Nothing like a bagging when you leave.

Poidevin also believes many Waratahs are in for a shock. ''Michael sets very high standards for himself, his staff and his players. People are finding that very quickly. Cultural change will provide significant results for the Waratahs. Look at the Wallabies spring tour … the Test team was dominated by Waratahs players. Then look at last season in Super Rugby and you wonder how the hell that team did not do better.
''I'll be upfront … it was an appalling coaching performance by Michael Foley [who has left]. The coach of any sport is the one who is finally accountable and sets the agenda. Those players now realise under Michael Cheika the standards required. If they think those past standards are acceptable now, they won't be around for long.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/mckenzie-the-right-man-for-wallabies-top-job--poidevin-20130101-2c492.html#ixzz2GlaNWdRj

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When comparing Foley and Cheika in an article it would be a good idea not to refer to them by first name.. got confused at the start there.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hi guys. Just a reminder that this is a WF thread. Even though Foley is the coach we are a long way off topic.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hi guys. Just a reminder that this is a WF thread. Even though Foley is the coach we are a long way off topic.
I agree totally, Sully. This thread is not the appropriate place for gloating about our serendipitous offload; particularly given that it was achieved by bumbling incompetence rather than intent or design.

This would also probably not be the place to suggest that to get the best out of their new coach the Force should also engage the other half of the dream pairing, Jason Allen. Lock-stepped like Siamese twins, their contribution will long be remembered in the senior state.

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)

''I'll be upfront … it was an appalling coaching performance by Michael Foley [who has left]. The coach of any sport is the one who is finally accountable and sets the agenda. Those players now realise under Michael Cheika the standards required. If they think those past standards are acceptable now, they won't be around for long.''
I did not believe I was taking this off topic when the thrust of part of the article was detailling Foley's coaching performance/standards.

Everything I knew of him as a coach has always being glowing. As a Head coach in the UK, Wallaby Assistant an expert on the Set Pieces. Even in this thread and on TWF he has been a reasonably popular choice and happy with the new direction.

NSW did not seem to be overtly grumbling prior to the betrayal. Maybe the article was a Randwick Boys being looked after.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
I agree totally, Sully. This thread is not the appropriate place for gloating about our serendipitous offload; particularly given that it was achieved by bumbling incompetence rather than intent or design.

This would also probably not be the place to suggest that to get the best out of their new coach the Force should also engage the other half of the dream pairing, Jason Allen. Lock-stepped like Siamese twins, their contribution will long be remembered in the senior state.
Guess you were not particularly upset when MF moved on!
Still baffled about that one, to be honest (being recruited by the WF, that is).
"serendipitous offload": I'll definitely use that one again.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi guys, is the squad now complete or do we still have one spot/player missing? On the official website I see 34 players, there should be space for another one. Anybody knows who can be the last one? Thank you for the answer

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Thank you for the answer, so the squad is complete.
As I wrote previously, I think we'll definitely miss Pocock and Sharpie, but I'm confindent in next year's team.
I've seen efforts to improve all the weeknesses shown during the last superrugby season. Now the Force can count on a new and valid coaching staff, a new couple of halves, who are very reliable players, new centres and a good pack of forwards. Honey badger should do the rest :D
The 2013 season is about to start, hope the best for the Force

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Went to school with his sister back in NZ and I never knew that about their dad being Australian. I know his NZ family though hence the reason i knew he'd signed with the Force.

Do you have any opinions on him as a player?

He's 26 and not a certain ITM starter, that I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.