• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The young bloke looks like a Black James O'Connor.

He does a bit, doesn't he?

I wouldn't say the Force will set the world on fire but I certainly have a gut feeling that they will be shitloads better than what some are predicting. They are just flying under the radar nicely and they could very well be a smokey in 3013.

I can cope with losing. But losing in a boring way just hurts. We need to see a bit of innovation. I liked it how Wales were getting pumped by the All Blacks by 30 odd points and so they tried something a bit different with the 15 man line-out. Now that was a bit of a hail mary move but it worked.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The key thing that has been said in the pre-season so far for me was Foley's insightful comment about the need to develop a program that attracts good players. That has been the Force's problem the last 2-3 years.

With the current coaching team put together, Foley is as good as his word. Hopefully in the next few years lots of guys who want to further themselves will be looking at the Force program and wanting to be a part of it.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So i had abit of time at work today so it thought i would have a look at what i think the team will look like next year ill start with the forward pack and get to the backs soon.

1) Cowan – No brainer really was one of the standouts last for the Force and prob in the top 2 form LHP in AUS last year before injury.

2) Charles – Again has a break out year last year starting in every game. He will be pushing for higher honors next year. In the wings whittiker a more than handy replacement if needed.

3) Maafu – This was a tough one to pick. Maafu didn’t have a great season this year but I’m hoping with a full preseason under his belt he will be ready for a big one. I saw him at Hillary’s a couple of week ago and he looked like he had lost weight so hopefully it will translate onto the field. If not there are 3 other props (Longbottom, Manu and Faulkner) ready to step up.

4) Wykes – After an injury ravaged season last year he will want to reclaim the form he showed in 2011. With the departure of Sharpe he will be the main man in the lineouts so let’s hope he can take the next step in his career. Battye to fight for a spot in the 22

5) Lynn – Not an easy one to pick, but on last years form Lynn deserves to be there. A lot of people from outside ripped into him all year about how he is a crap player and didn’t do anything, but that just shows they didn’t watch much of the force games. Great at set piece time and strong at the break down he was voted Force man of the year by his peers so until someone comes and takes it from him its all his. MMM to fight from the bench for a starting spot.

6) Brown – This will have to be a massive year for Brown, he has had a lot of injury’s of late but from all reports he is fit and ready to go. A big preseason hopefully will do him well. Look for Cottrell to put massive amounts of Pressure on him as well as his good mate MMM.

7) Hodgson – Will be the new captain next year and should have been last year. Can play anywhere in the back row and always give 100%. With Pocock gone we will now be able to see what Hodgson really does he never gets his dues but the reason Pocock is so dominate at Super level had a lot to do with Hodgo. Alcock a ready made replacement.

8) McCalman – As with Brown Benny needs a massive year to keep the wolfs at bay namely McCaffrey who showed last year he has what it takes. After breaking his arm last year he will start full contact work in the coming weeks. Again like others this will be his first preseason in a long time so will only do wonders for him.

I dont see to many suprises this year but plenty of young talent coming through in the forwards to keep the presure on.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
That is the least threatening forward pack I have seen in a long time.........they wont have spent the dosh bringing MMM into the fold just to let him sit bench. Besides I hear on the grape vine that brown is held together ATM with tape and glue so i am not sure if he is a viable starter anymore. If Manu shows the same form as last season I can't see how they can keep him out of the starting 15 as across all facets of the game he trumped maafu.
I honestly think that if Wykes starts it will be at lynn's expense. Also what you noted about Hodgson is they very reason I think Alcock could get a run in the starting line up as Hodgson is the opener not the closer.

But honestly i dont know how the forward pack will look but if it turns out to look like how you've outlined we will be munted up front.
For brown,mccalman and maafu there shouldnt be to many second chances let as last season they looked toothless compared to their best

D-Box

Cyril Towers (30)
Lynn will defiantly have to start otherwise we would have 4 guys playing as a 6/8 in every game.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I know, but i am thinking that is the way maybe foley wants to play it.......to see my poitn of view just consider the people he has signed......

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Unless I am a very poor judge, Salesi Manu will break through in a big way next season, I really like the look of him.

Otherwise, I agree that the Force pack looks a bit on the weak side. Unless, that is, MMM and McCalman really step up, and play most of the matches at the top of their considerable form. Although Hodgson at 7 will not worry any of the other teams, unfortunately.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
That is the least threatening forward pack I have seen in a long time...they wont have spent the dosh bringing MMM into the fold just to let him sit bench. Besides I hear on the grape vine that brown is held together ATM with tape and glue so i am not sure if he is a viable starter anymore. If Manu shows the same form as last season I can't see how they can keep him out of the starting 15 as across all facets of the game he trumped maafu.
I honestly think that if Wykes starts it will be at lynn's expense. Also what you noted about Hodgson is they very reason I think Alcock could get a run in the starting line up as Hodgson is the opener not the closer.

But honestly i dont know how the forward pack will look but if it turns out to look like how you've outlined we will be munted up front.
For brown,mccalman and maafu there shouldnt be to many second chances let as last season they looked toothless compared to their best

I put them in the side because I feel they still have a lot to give. But like you said they shouldn’t be given to many chances with Manu and Falkner. Maafu will need to show a lot very quickly remember Manu is on an EPS so by the Rule book he is only injury cover (even though we all know what happened last year) same with brown and McCalman. Cottrell and McCaffrey are ready to go. Over the next year or 2 there will be a big transaction period. Hodgo will do just fine.

MMM shouldnt be a walk up he has been playing Div 2 in japan and we all know his injury history he should be eased onto the season. and Wykes was a standout in 2011 before injury.

T

tranquility

MMM fit is a walk up start in any super back in Stralia whether he has been playing hopscotch or skinning carrots for last 5 years. The blokes combativeness early in a match is worth more per pound than Copper.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think one of McMenimen or McCalman should play lock. Lynn is excellent in the set piece so probably keep him there.

McCaffrey must play, he's a real talent.

4. McMenimen
5. Lynn
6. McCalman
7. Hodgson/Brown
8. McCaffrey

Wykes good impact off the bench.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
When you think about it their forward pack selection is quite problematic by foregoing a bonafide lock do you go for size in you back row by playing with no openside? or do you play with a legitimate seven to make up for the physical edge you may lose?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Speaking of Manu this is in The West today. Also a good plug at the end for the Stand Up for Sharpe Campaign

Young prop shoulders weight of expectation for Force

Western Force prop Salesi Manu is just a young pup when it comes to the front row, the toughest of positions.
He goes head first into the dark area where tonnes of pressure is exerted as players battle to dominate their opposition, lock up the scrum and become an immovable object.

It is not a place for the faint-hearted but last year, at just 21, Manu stood up to some of the best in the business with the toughest of initiations to Super Rugby.
Force teammate and Wallabies prop Salesi Ma'afu broke an arm and Manu found himself facing Wallaby Ben Alexander, veteran All Black Tony Woodcock and fellow New Zealand international Ben Franks in his first three games.

Now in his second year of Super Rugby, the imposing but unassuming 120kg front-rower, who has no trouble bench pressing 190kg, has an enormous future ahead of him.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...op-shoulders-weight-of-expectation-for-force/

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
People always say that the Force pack looks weak, but for the last few seasons the pack has been a strength. They had one of the better packs in the competition last season.
Granted we have lost Sharpe and Pocock, but MMM has stepped in, and Hodgson wont be a massive step down from Pocock.
There is decent depth in the front row with a second XV starting side of Longbum, Whittaker, Manu being as good as the starting really.
The second row is weak, but Battye needs to really show he is Super rugby quality soon to keep his spot.
The backrow is slightly weakened by Pocock going. Brown isnt the player he once was. But starting with Hodgson, MMM and McCalman will be a strength. But Alcock, McCaffrety and Cottrel have been excellent pick ups and again, the second XV here is as strong as the first XV (I am aware that MMM was picked up as a lock).

I am confident that this pack will match whatever is thrown at it.

On the plus side, the introduction of Ebersohn and Matheson, and the emergence late last year of Godwin suggest that the backline will be much stronger than before.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agreed Farva. On paper we never look like having a strong pack and yet for the last couple of seasons that same set of forwards have bested a lot of better credentialled packs. The problem has been the backline and we look to have least recruited some creativity there. Ever since Giteau, JOC (James O'Connor) and Mitchell left we've offered next to no threat. That's hopefully about to change.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We won't have as strong a pack this season but I think/hope that our pack will play smarter.

In many ways the Force pack has been playing like the Wallabies pack- one out, static runners; slow to regroup giving the opposition plenty of time to set their defence; playing not to lose rather than to win.

We might not have the bulk/power of say the Waratahs but I would argue that we are more mobile and more aggressive than the Tahs. I want to see the Force play the style of offload/quick recycle game that the Hurricanes had 5 or 6 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.