• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Im no sure if the force new about it when they recruited him but it has been reported that they did know about it (in resent times) and were helping him to over come the problem.

If this is true i dont think any blame can be placed on the force ie Ignoring the issue.

I'm not making any claims around blame at all. If the Force recruited a known problem gambler and they did everything to assist him, then I suppose any reasonable person would assume that the experiment did not work out. I have nothing but sympathy for anyone with an illness so without knowing the details I cannot point the finger at Ripia either.

If however, they knew and did nothing, well, that's a whole other story.

Either way, I don't suppose it did much to help develop team cohesion. Pity, because all true Oz rugby fans would want each Oz province to be doing well and whether it is by bad luck or bad planning, the Force seem to be trying very hard to hinder themselves.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Whether he had a so-called gambling 'addiction' or not is irrelevant. (Allegedly) thieving from your mates is a pretty low act in any circumstance, and in my view, culpability would lie fairly and squarely at his own feet. The Force are were his employer, not his keeper. I'm sure they would have helped him if they could (and maybe they have in the past) but they're not obligated, and nor should they be.

D

daz

C'mon Lance. In this enlightened age is it not possible for us to recognise that addiction removes the word "choice" from the addicts vocab?

Is he a mongrel dog for petty theft from his mates, or was he compelled through a mental illness? I honestly don't know. Do you?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
C'mon Lance. In this enlightened age is it not possible for us to recognise that addiction removes the word "choice" from the addicts vocab?

Is he a mongrel dog for petty theft from his mates, or was he compelled through a mental illness? I honestly don't know. Do you?

I may be old age as distinct from new age but I trust that your first sentence was laced with more than a touch of irony. Even if he has a gambling addiction it is a big step from there for it to become a mental illness and a whole day's walk from mental illness to stealing from your fellow team members. Even if I cop to the mental illness that doesn't mean that this was the only possible option to finance it. He had lots of other choices - the one he chose betrayed the trust that exists in any team, local park or Super rugby. Mental illness (particularly of this type) does not allow someone to abrogate all responsibility for their behaviour.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm not going to comment too much on this as I really don't know if Ripia was a mere thief, or sadly under the mental spell of a gambling addiction.

I suppose it is fair to say that whatever the cause, the effect is that he has probably done his dash in rugby, or any team sport.

If he is an addict, would it be a fair question to ask if the Force are assisting him with treatment?

Yes, they were helping out with counselling.

D

daz

I may be old age as distinct from new age but I trust that your first sentence was laced with more than a touch of irony. Even if he has a gambling addiction it is a big step from there for it to become a mental illness and a whole day's walk from mental illness to stealing from your fellow team members. Even if I cop to the mental illness that doesn't mean that this was the only possible option to finance it. He had lots of other choices - the one he chose betrayed the trust that exists in any team, local park or Super rugby.

Sorry Hawko; no irony there. I suspect there will be a whole lot of agreeing to disagree on an issue such as this, but I must ask the question: is being a full blown addict a form of mental illness? And if you have a mental illness, does that not reduce your ability to make the right choices?

Don't get me wrong; I am not in any position to lecture on medical stuff (hello Dr. Cyclo?), much less the inner workings of Willie Ripia. All I am saying is that perhaps we are being a bit quick to judge.

Having said that, if he turns out to be nothing more than a thief with no justification other than he wanted to fuck his mates over for his personal gain, then he deserves everything he gets.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

to social workers maybe, I am a fan of self responsibility myself, deeming shit like this as an "illness" is a cop out designed to not label a poor soul.

I would be calling the police and having him charged

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
I may be old age as distinct from new age but I trust that your first sentence was laced with more than a touch of irony. Even if he has a gambling addiction it is a big step from there for it to become a mental illness and a whole day's walk from mental illness to stealing from your fellow team members. Even if I cop to the mental illness that doesn't mean that this was the only possible option to finance it. He had lots of other choices - the one he chose betrayed the trust that exists in any team, local park or Super rugby. Mental illness (particularly of this type) does not allow someone to abrogate all responsibility for their behaviour.

It's classified as a disorder - a problem with impulsiveness - and can be considered a clinical issue if the gambling is severe enough.

D

daz

to social workers maybe, I am a fan of self responsibility myself, deeming shit like this as an "illness" is a cop out designed to not label a poor soul.

Ok. Seems playing devils advocate and putting forward a valid point of view is not working. Fair enough.

Hang him! Tar and feather the fucker!

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)

So thieving from your mates is a dog act/act of a poor soul etc, although the police are not involved and the amounts are not known.

How would you classify a break and enter during a buck's night to steal a laptop?

There's a little difference in both acts.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Too right Fatprop, people not taking responsibility for their own actions is whats wrong with the world these days.... everyone has a cop out. To say the pokies made him do it is the worst cop out I've ever heard! The guys a fucking thief & has been rightly ostracized.

N

Newter

Very sad. I feel sorry for Willie Ripia most of all. A guy on good money, a pro footballer, does not steal from his mates unless he has a big problem distorting his judgement.

D

daz

With all due respect to Dr Cyclo, I'd be a little hesitant about talking to a Dick Doc about mental health issues:)

Well, the brain and the dick both have a head involved, and men have historically used their dick to do their thinking from time to time so it's not such a long bow to draw....

What say you, Cyclo? :D

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I've had money & possessions stolen by a problem gambler.... I have no fucking sympathy... the blokes getting their money stolen are the victims, get some perspective. Would you lot be saying the same if he was stealing money for drugs? He's been sacked for good reason, he blew it!

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
A gambling addiction ain't no mental illness. I had an addiction to cigarettes a long time ago. It wasn't a mental illness, it was weakness on my behalf. Feeding the habit. I gave them up and overcame it but it was hard.

The other thing with this alleged theft is, it obviously didn't just happen once. There appears to have been a cycle of offending over a period of time (according to the way it's been reported). Hence the installation of security cameras in the facility to identify the offender. This looks like premeditated thieving on a regular basis.

Now, the guy obviously needs some help to overcome his issues and hopefully he can get his life back together. However, that doesn't abrogate his responsibility for what he's (allegedly) done.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So Stannard looks to be the first choice replacement and i had forgot all about Ben Seymor(injury cover last year and then offered him a 2 year contact). Can anyone enlighten me to how this bloke will go is he up to Super rugby or a long way off. Should we be using him and Goodwin as back up and look to get another 9 to cover chucky or get a tried and tested 10 to help chucky out? thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.