• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not the best news.
I think tapou is going to get a start this year. Graham is saying big and fast in the centers. So fairbanks will be on the bench I would think.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
A few weeks ago there was a rumour saying that Sam Lane was back down under after he left the Western Province
He is a fly half I guess

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The Western Force Flyhalf hoodoo continues.

A shame, but it's time Force develops it's own backup to Stannard.

I'd be happy if they buy a big 13, but I doubt there are many of those running around uncontracted (and no, Ryan Cross isn't welcome back)

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Getting a replacement 10 with no top class rugby experience would be pointless. Better off getting another 9 and keeping Stannard as a 10.

Perception and reality. Check out the top try scoring team in 2011. It wasn't the Reds or the Force.

Perception and reality. Try scoring is not a reflection of stodginess. You can play stodgy rugby and still score plenty of tries. The Waratahs are great at running riot over lesser teams- I mean shit you guys picked up 10 tries in two games on the Rebels. In those games you outclass the opposition so badly that the stodginess is harder to see- but it is still there.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I hear that some people like gambling out West and may have been light-fingered to fund their interest ALLEGEDLY

T

tranquility

Stannard will be 10, that is not in question.

However they now have no cover if he goes down / giving him a break at the back end of games. Kyle Godwin is a good talent, but I doubt he is up to playing week in week out as a bench option let alone starting flyhalf. It must have been pretty serious whatever it is that he did.

M

Moono75

I hear that some people like gambling out West and may have been light-fingered to fund their interest ALLEGEDLY
Article online at the Australian newspaper alledges you might be right....allegedly. Might make it tricky to get another contract.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-thefts-from-team-exposed-20120110-1ptt9.html

Ripia quits after thefts from team exposed

Resigned ... Western Force playmaker Willie Ripia has left the club. Photo: Getty Images

WESTERN FORCE key playmaker Willie Ripia resigned from the Super Rugby club yesterday after he was caught stealing from his teammates.

Ripia, who has had a chronic gambling problem, was captured on CCTV taking money belonging to players in the change rooms at the Force's Mount Claremont headquarters.

Force management were considering whether to tear up Ripia's contract or suspend him when the five-eighth offered his resignation.

Players had been complaining to management for several months about losing money. Ripia had been suspected of taking the cash but several times denied any involvement when confronted and questioned until he was told about Friday's CCTV vision.

Ripia, 26, has had counselling - arranged by the Force - for his gambling both externally and through a player representative.

The club yesterday confirmed it had agreed to accept Ripia's resignation. The statement said the club had investigated a serious breach of team protocols.

"The club wishes to stress that the matter relates to an internal incident at the club and does not involve any member of the public or public property," the statement said.

Police have not been called to investigate at this stage as none of the players who lost money have made an official complaint outside the club.

Ripia's loss is a huge blow to the Force's finals aspirations with the season less than seven weeks away.

Having lost Wallaby James O'Connor to the Melbourne Rebels in controversial circumstances last year and now Ripia, coach Richard Graham will be desperate to find a quality replacement but is likely to struggle this close to kick-off.

The Force will speak to the ARU about signing a new overseas player. "In the short term we will utilise our playing stocks and review our options once we have further clarity about recruitment from the ARU," Graham said.

Ripia played for New Zealand Maori and NZ under-21s and under-19s and was signed from the Hurricanes as the Force 2011 overseas developing player. When he moved from Wellington, Ripia was seen as the solution to the club's five-eighth problem but was restricted to just six starts and one appearance from the bench after a mystery foot injury and then a calf muscle problem.

His resignation could let in former Australian Sevens player James Stannard, who began his club career at five-eighth, converted to halfback when he joined the Force but was a revelation when he stepped in for Ripia at the end of last season.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Can't say I feel to bad for the Force on this one. I know he is a talented player, but from what I saw of him last year he didn't really produce the goods. I am excited to see Stannard have a crack and hopefully Goodwin will get some playing time.

M

Moono75

Can't say I feel to bad for the Force on this one. I know he is a talented player, but from what I saw of him last year he didn't really produce the goods. I am excited to see Stannard have a crack and hopefully Goodwin will get some playing time.
Stannard showed he could be a good player last year so it's no the worst thing to happen. Any decent foreign players floating around that the force could target?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The media are making some extraordinary claims, I hope they have good evidence to back it up.

ie: Is chronic gambling addiction a medical problem? How can SMH know his medical records?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If his shoulder is OK I would promote Godwin from the EPS and use Turner to back up Sheehan, if Turner is fit now after his setback. Think of Stannard now only as a flyhalf. Then get a scrummie into the Force EPS in place of Godwin. Chances are some back will have a long injury and that new scrummie can step up to the main squad. Godwin will contend with the older Seymour for the backup flyhalf spot.

As for new scrummies for the EPS: DeWet Roos or Chris Cottee (who has been in the Force stable before) would not be the worst.

Without Ripia to share goal kicking duties with Stannard, Stannard becomes the rainmaker. Shepherd's legs are not really up to goal kicking these days and whilst Sheehan can get the odd long kick over better than most his overall percentage is modest.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
If its true that has to be one of the worst ones I have herd. That'a fucking shocking.

Hopefully the aru allow the force to pursue another over seas signing. I think they need a well established player. Saying that it would be good to see an Aussie get the nod and be given ago. Shepard at reserve 10!! I or maafu

The rebels would probably get whatever they wanted. Lol.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Justin turner is fit now days isn't he? I thought everyone thought he was an exiting youngster as back up for the old pony.

T

TOCC

If its true that has to be one of the worst ones I have herd. That'a fucking shocking.

Hopefully the aru allow the force to pursue another over seas signing. I think they need a well established player. Saying that it would be good to see an Aussie get the nod and be given ago. Shepard at reserve 10!! I or maafu

The rebels would probably get whatever they wanted. Lol.

because thats worked so well the past few times?

Status
Not open for further replies.