• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newter

Its not just the squad that ensures good performances. The two other key factors are the selectors and the coach, usually in Super rugby with the same key person involved. Blind Freddie could have seen that Ripia was severely limited and that Stannard, on the basis of his seven's play, had the ability to lead a team around the field. But he was only chosen there as a last resort when there was no one else. My prediction is that Ripia will start again in 2012, the backline will turn to stodge and the efforts of the pack will be, once again, totally wasted.

The game against the Tahs last year was instructive. Man for man the Force hopelessly outclassed the injury-hit Tahs, yet the Force had as their key strategy trying to turn the game into a bore-fest so the Tah fans would boo their team. It was a totally negative gameplan and the Force lost a match they should have won in a canter. It screamed out that the head coach had no belief in his team. And his team played to the message that their coach had given them - that they were second raters who could only win if they dragged the other team down.

Looking through the squad at the Force, they should be competing with the Tahs and the Reds for first spot in the conference. But, they had a great squad last year and they didn't. On the basis of last year's coaching and selecting, they will once again be bottom six and only if they change the mind-set and self belief at the top will they achieve their full potential.

I applaud the effort Graham made to approach that game with psychological tactics, but obviously it didn't really inspire his team. There were player grumbles or rumours thereof at the time, I believe.

My impression of Graham is that he is usually an excellent motivator, gives his team good structure and discipline etc, but just isn't a top notch tactics man. Looking at his assistants, I won't be expecting much from Nick Stiles in that department, nor the defence guru Phil Blake.

But if they put Stannard in there, it could be a different story. He can play smart on the run.

T

TOCC

You applaud Graham's tactic of negativity in trying to win a game?

i believe as a one off tactic against a team they are outclassed by its perfectly ok...

using that sort of tactic for the whole season is another story.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In what world is it a good idea to purposely play boring rugby in order to get the opposition's home fans working against the opposition? Richard Graham lives in a fantasy world and the Force are going no where with him still as the coach. He's had a talented squad to work with and has produced nothing. His game plan for most of the year was give the ball to JOC (James O'Connor).

T

TOCC

I was referring directly to the game tactics of slowing It to a speed in which they almost stole victory...

All that stuff of the crowd booing is a bigger issue...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fair enough.

----

I've been doing some betting research, looking at some SA bookies and they have the Force listed as the favourite for the spoon @ 3.25! Rebels are $6 Hurricanes $12 Bulls $29 - It will come from one of those, some nice odds there. Can't believe how the Force are strong favourites, Saffers must not rate them at all.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was referring directly to the game tactics of slowing It to a speed in which they almost stole victory...

All that stuff of the crowd booing is a bigger issue...

It doesn't reflect well on a section of those who go to games in Sydney. I almost said on a section of Waratahs' fans, but if you're booing you're something other than a fan.

I was also astounded and ashamed to hear a significant number of people booing Michael Clarke as he walked out to bat at the SCG. Grubs.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I still don't get the tactical genius to get the tah fans booing. JOC (James O'Connor) was kicking brilliantly and that was the plan to get penalties and let JOC (James O'Connor) kick for 3. It's a game plan many teams go for in test rugby.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fair enough.

----

I've been doing some betting research, looking at some SA bookies and they have the Force listed as the favourite for the spoon @ 3.25! Rebels are $6 Hurricanes $12 Bulls $29 - It will come from one of those, some nice odds there. Can't believe how the Force are strong favourites, Saffers must not rate them at all.

Is that in order? The Brumbies aren't even on the list? The SA bookies must think Jake White is Anne Sullivan. Wooden spooner has to be between the Brumbies and the Hurricanes.

M

Moono75

Fair enough.

----

Typical SA take on things. I'll take extra delight each time we stick it up them.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
i believe as a one off tactic against a team they are outclassed by its perfectly ok...

using that sort of tactic for the whole season is another story.

The point was that the team that the Tahs put out that day was absolutely decimated by injury. Go back and look at the line-ups, the Tahs were playing reserves for the reserves. I said at the time that when comparing the two teams man for man only two players for the Tahs were better than their Force counterpart. There were a few equals, but the Force had better players on reputation for nine or ten positions. On paper the Force should have been twenty points better and they ended up losing (the score was close but the Tahs were clearly superior). So to choose such a tactic against a team they were outclassed by is perfectly OK. But to choose such a tactic when your team is clearly superior is just braindead.

Kudos to the Tahs for their performance, but the Force threw five competition points into the toilet because of a lack of self belief. If they get some self belief this year they will be real contenders for the conference. There is no way they should be contenders for the wooden spoon, their team strength is way too high for that. Their forward pack should eat most of the others for breakfast.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sheehan
Stannard
Nalaga

Cummins
Sheps

The centers are hard to pick. I think it's going to come down to who has been the best at training.

Fairbanks
Sidey
Tapou
Dellit

Will the go with tapou strait up? I here good things about this bloke. Outside centre?

The centers are where the discussions should be people. I think the rest should be quite simple.

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought Winston Stanley was recruited as a 12 but I read recently that he sees himself more as an outside centre. It will be interesting to see what combos they use in the trials.

T

TOCC

The point was that the team that the Tahs put out that day was absolutely decimated by injury. Go back and look at the line-ups, the Tahs were playing reserves for the reserves. I said at the time that when comparing the two teams man for man only two players for the Tahs were better than their Force counterpart. There were a few equals, but the Force had better players on reputation for nine or ten positions. On paper the Force should have been twenty points better and they ended up losing (the score was close but the Tahs were clearly superior). So to choose such a tactic against a team they were outclassed by is perfectly OK. But to choose such a tactic when your team is clearly superior is just braindead.

Kudos to the Tahs for their performance, but the Force threw five competition points into the toilet because of a lack of self belief. If they get some self belief this year they will be real contenders for the conference. There is no way they should be contenders for the wooden spoon, their team strength is way too high for that. Their forward pack should eat most of the others for breakfast.

From my memory going on form etc I always expected NSW to win..

But hey that's just a matter of opinion

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah I think your right Todd. He is the one with the head gear and played for the blues? If I have the right guy he isnt a bad player. Just has the occasional brain farts and ball fumbling. Had a good year last year but not quite consistent.

N

Newter

You applaud Graham's tactic of negativity in trying to win a game?

Yes, of course. If you spot a weakness, you should at least consider exploiting it. The Tahs had a weakness for an open running game because of public pressure at the time - if the Force had executed better, kick chased, kicked for the corners, defended consistently, and kept their errors low - it could well have frustrated the crowd, and pressured the Tahs into taking wild risks with the ball.

The logic was sound, in my opinion. I just don't think the players wanted to do it.

N

Newter

They seemed to finish the year with a lot of composure. That final round victory over the Rebels was a well taken win.

In fact, the footage features Will Ripia throwing some excellent final passes....

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If they go with Stanley at 12 then a Sidey or Dellit will be at outside. Im not the biggest fan of fairbanks just think he goes missing abit. We could start Sidey and have Dellit on the bench to cover 13/15

Status
Not open for further replies.