• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
because thats worked so well the past few times?
what maafu at 10? I think the force are starting to get into a position where they are not relying on big international names to make them competitive. I mean signing big names. There are some really good that came into form at the end of last year that have got there by working hard and climbing the ranks.

I think If we can see another guy step up. Like turner we will be fine.

Direction is so important in any rugby team though. Even if ripia wasnt the best at least he offered some sort of platform.

10 is where we have struggled at for a long time. I hope Stannard can break the curse and play all games.

M

Moono75

what maafu at 10? I think the force are starting to get into a position where they are not relying on big international names to make them competitive. I mean signing big names. There are some really good that came into form at the end of last year that have got there by working hard and climbing the ranks.

I think If we can see another guy step up. Like turner we will be fine.

Direction is so important in any rugby team though. Even if ripia wasnt the best at least he offered some sort of platform.

10 is where we have struggled at for a long time. I hope Stannard can break the curse and play all games.
I agree. The Force need to close ranks and trust in the young talent. I think Stannard will be fine and hopefully Justin Turner will develop. As long as we can distribute the ball to the backline with some fluency we should do OK. I'm excited to see Nalaga have a crack and Cummins is getting better and better.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Shiggins said:
I think the force are starting to get into a position where they are not relying on big international names to make them competitive. I mean signing big names. There are some really good that came into form at the end of last year that have got there by working hard and climbing the ranks.
As a South African I'm inclined to draw comparisons between the Force and the Lions since both teams have had to do with players heading off elsewhere and trying to be competitive with limited resources. That said, I do not know the squads of the Australian teams too well apart from the obvious names which brings me to another question. What is the "main" competition in Australia after Super Rugby where players end up playing? Is there any footage or place I could see this competition?

I think the Force are in for a tough year.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ulrich. Australia doesn't have a curry cup equivalent. Your level bellow curry cup would be the equivalent of what Australian players have to look forward to If they are not selected for the wallabies. Remember the ARC ? That was an attempt to try something similar to the curry cup and itm cup. It's one of Australian rights biggest problems. No offense to the eastern states competitions or the perth one.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Shiggins said:
Ulrich. Australia doesn't have a curry cup equivalent. Your level bellow curry cup would be the equivalent of what Australian players have to look forward to If they are not selected for the wallabies. Remember the ARC ? That was an attempt to try something similar to the curry cup and itm cup. It's one of Australian rights biggest problems. No offense to the eastern states competitions or the perth one.
Thank you for that. Is it due to a lack of interest in the game (competition with other sports) that Australia can not establish a professional local competition and maintain it?

I know we as South Africans are generally not very pleased with the ARU and SANZAR for expanding the Super 14 to 15 as we are now effectively playing two Currie Cups in one season while the Currie Cup itself is being degraded. Player fatigue etc. and we feel it was a push by the ARU to aid the domestic situation over there.

What do you think of this?

EDIT: Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes lack of interest mainly. I don't see how we could ever have a sustainable one on it's own, just not enough money or interest for it unfortunately.

I'm sure you realise that Union is not very popular in Australia already but I'm sure most still don't realise just how unpopular it is. The biggest code in the country is AFL (Australian Rules) then NRL (league) and then probably between Union and soccer. And then it's geographically only based in NSW & QLD where all the players come from. It really is a struggle to get any mainstream attention.

I have no doubt the Super rugby format and expansion to the conference system only favours Australia and we pushed it hard.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We could probably establish and maintain a professional (marginally) domestic competition that runs at a manageable loss. The first year of the ARC coughed up a few million in loss but the competition would grow and costs could be better managed.

But the ARU isn't keen and thus driving the change in Super Rugby. But then again the competition did need freshening up somehow. And the SARU probably looks favourably on expansion to get the Kings up and running and the NZRU is running the ITM Cup at a fairly big loss I think.

Justin Turner is a scrum-half.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
My reference to turner is because some people are saying the force should recruit another scrum half. Sorry if it got mumbled with the fly half paragraph.

I think the ARC should have ran for 3 years and then they should have made a decision on it. It's a huge topic in Australian rugby and we have all talked about it a lot. Unfortunately it isn't going to change.

The truth is that if it wasn't for all the Saffas kiwis and poms ect the force as well as all the other Australian rugby teams would be in big trouble. Especially the force though. I like to think there are a lot of afl fans watching rugby over here now and it is true to some extent. Thanks to the die hard rugby fans over here I think it rubs off on our mates and we convert them. Or maybe they don't have a choice because of they want to have a barby or something at mine they have to watch it lol. And if they are going to have something I won't go if I can't watch it.

I live rugby! Love rugby!

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Yes lack of interest mainly. I don't see how we could ever have a sustainable one on it's own, just not enough money or interest for it unfortunately.

I'm sure you realise that Union is not very popular in Australia already but I'm sure most still don't realise just how unpopular it is. The biggest code in the country is AFL (Australian Rules) then NRL (league) and then probably between Union and soccer. And then it's geographically only based in NSW & QLD where all the players come from. It really is a struggle to get any mainstream attention.

I have no doubt the Super rugby format and expansion to the conference system only favours Australia and we pushed it hard.

Yep that's true I was quite surprised when I arrived in Sydney that Union was so unpopular.
I was lucky to live in the Northern Suburbs so there were few guys interested in union but not enough considering what I was expecting!

T

TOCC

We could probably establish and maintain a professional (marginally) domestic competition that runs at a manageable loss. The first year of the ARC coughed up a few million in loss but the competition would grow and costs could be better managed.

But the ARU isn't keen and thus driving the change in Super Rugby. But then again the competition did need freshening up somehow. And the SARU probably looks favourably on expansion to get the Kings up and running and the NZRU is running the ITM Cup at a fairly big loss I think.

Justin Turner is a scrum-half.

not just a few million...... $5 million.... those costs were completely unsustainable even if they were reduced by $1million/year over a 5 year plan

but just gotta jump in before this digresses any further... this is the western force thread, there are already a few threads on the topic of another tier of rugby in Australia.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I think the Force need to recruit from overseas. Stannard was a bit of a stop-gap measure last year but put in some good performances. They're going to need an experienced provincial quality flyhalf, not a developing young-un to address this disaster.

I never thought Ripia was the complete answer in the first place but with his injury problems we never saw him at his best.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So what 10s are running around Japan?

There is also the RWC Tongan 10 who played for Easts in Sydney last year

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What a shame, the Force finally get their first full front page article in "The West" since inception, and it is about a player stealing from his teamates.

M

Municipalforce

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/6239078/Willie-Ripia-quits-Western-Force-in-disgrace

New Zealand rugby player Willie Ripia has quit the Western Force after allegedly being caught stealing from his teammates.
Former Taranaki, Hurricanes and New Zealand Maori first five-eighth Ripia, who has undergone counselling for a gambling problem, was reportedly caught on CCTV taking money from players' wallets and bags at the team's Perth headquarters.
Ripia, 26, offered his resignation yesterday morning when confronted with the footage, Australian media reported.
Players had complained to management previously about losing money and while Ripia had been suspected of taking cash, he had denied any involvement.
A Force statement said the club had investigated a serious breach of team protocols.
"The club wishes to stress that the matter relates to an internal incident at the club and does not involve any member of the public or public property," the statement said.
Club officials wouldn't comment further and a recorded message on Ripia's mobile phone said it had been disconnected.
A Force insider, who did not wish to be identified, told The Australian newspaper that the club deeply regretted having to sever ties with Ripia.
"But at the end of the day, a football club can only operate if there is trust," he said.
Ripia played for New Zealand Maori and played for his country at under-19 and under-21 level but struggled for regular start time with the Hurricanes.
He was recruited by the Force in 2010 as a foreign development player, which meant he could eventually qualify for Australia.
He missed much of last season with foot and calf injuries but played a solid role in the team's surge near the end of their 2011 campaign.
With James O'Connor having transferred to the Melbourne Rebels, the first five-eighth position will probably be filled by Australian sevens star James Stannard

Very unfortunate for the Western Force and its Members

D

daz

I'm not going to comment too much on this as I really don't know if Ripia was a mere thief, or sadly under the mental spell of a gambling addiction.

I suppose it is fair to say that whatever the cause, the effect is that he has probably done his dash in rugby, or any team sport.

If he is an addict, would it be a fair question to ask if the Force are assisting him with treatment?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not going to comment too much on this as I really don't know if Ripia was a mere thief, or sadly under the mental spell of a gambling addiction.

I suppose it is fair to say that whatever the cause, the effect is that he has probably done his dash in rugby, or any team sport.

If he is an addict, would it be a fair question to ask if the Force are assisting him with treatment?
it's a fair question but it sounds like he was addicted when they signed him.

The force are having a terrible run in relation to playing staff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
it's a fair question but it sounds like he was addicted when they signed him.

The force are having a terrible run in relation to playing staff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only those that play at 10.

Im no sure if the force new about it when they recruited him but it has been reported that they did know about it (in resent times) and were helping him to over come the problem.

If this is true i dont think any blame can be placed on the force ie Ignoring the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.