• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Fantastic planning from the tahs, over stock on in between players covering 6/8/lock and then lose 70% of them in the space of two seasons, keeping only the guys with the least time with the team.

Key lineout forwards are pretty unlikely to have played together at this stage, particularly hooker and lineout caller.
Blame the coach... Oh wait

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Blame the coach... Oh wait
By all accounts he was part of the problem, certainly in terms of the initial recruitment and squad composition. To have gone a year where the coach was under review without a full-time GM/DoR to manage the squad long term was criminal.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
As in 2024?

Thought he already had a Tahs contract and Wallaby top-up through 2025? Maybe released to facilitate a Rebels player?
There was a report another senior waratahs wanted a release, because yes he is contracted for 2025. I guessed it was Holloway, and he then wasn't asked to train on - now this. So guess I was right (annoyingly, I like him)

Agent

Darby Loudon (17)
Someone might have better connections than me (mine are basic at best) but who is steering the ship currently for the Tahs in 2025. A couple of observations from a casual Tahs fan:

- We have no coach, and there seems to be very little noise about an appointment anytime soon.
- No coach means the likelihood of new recruits is next to none. Players want to know who they are playing for.
- We finished the regular season in last place. We are already rock bottom (or maybe we are not there yet!)
- We've had a shocking season with injuries. Infact we have a number of players that didn't even take the field the whole season.
- We have players leaving the Tahs left right and centre (Hanigan, Swinton, Harrison, Perese, Marky et al).
- We have 2 new signings which were announced months ago (Kellaway and Sual'l'íi) but nothing since.
- RA have folded up the Rebels camp chair and there seems to be a LOT of uncertainty surrounding where their players will end up.
- Unless something happens soon the Tahs will miss any opportunity they might have had to sign any Rebels talent and they will go elsewhere.
- Tupou, Talakai, Gibbon, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilkin, Lancaster etc. Carter Gordon has already left the building!
- There seems to be that much uncertainty in the Tahs camp at the moment and very little direction.
- Unless there is some action soon the Tahs and Australian rugby in general will be further up an already murky creek!

Just give us something Tahs management to make us think you are competent and at least trying to rebuild from the shite storm that has been 2024.

And now we have apparently lost Jed Holloway - our most consistent forward over the past 2-3 years and one of the genuine team leaders. Very disappointing how the rot at the Tahs seems to be continuing! That is Swinton, Hanigan, and Holloway gone from the 4/5/6 jerseys.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We are desperate and Cheika is, despite it all, a good coach. I don't think he is particularly suited to a rescue job though. He's more the guy you bring in to eek out that extra 5% from a squadthat is already more or less there.

Last edited:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For all my (not necessarily unjustified) snide remarks and how much of it was his impact directly, Cheika recruited 6 established players that made the 2014 Championship lineup (Hooper, Phipps, Beale, Hoiles, Chapman, Potgieter) that made more than token appearances, brought through Latu, Skelton and Alofa from Club/Junior Pathways, plus got Folau going, and worked his magic to retain Foley "somehow".

That 2014 squad was HIS, not just 1 or 2 extra pieces to the 2011/2012 Tahs.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
We are desperate and Cheika is, despite it all, a good coach. I don't think he is particularly suited to a rescue job though. He's more the guy you bring in to eek out that extra 5% from a squadthat is already more or less there.
I don't know. I'm not sure the 2012 Tahs under Foley were ready for the big time

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
For all my (not necessarily unjustified) snide remarks and how much of it was his impact directly, Cheika recruited 6 established players that made the 2014 Championship lineup (Hooper, Phipps, Beale, Hoiles, Chapman, Potgieter) that made more than token appearances, brought through Latu, Skelton and Alofa from Club/Junior Pathways, plus got Folau going, and worked his magic to retain Foley "somehow".

That 2014 squad was HIS, not just 1 or 2 extra pieces to the 2011/2012 Tahs.

Just a small tidbit, Michael Hooper was signed to the Waratahs by Michael Foley

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hooper was no longer wanted by the Brumbies as they had signed Pocock. Probably goes some way to explain the fact that so many Brumbies fans didn't rate Hooper, despite him being consistently ranked in the top couple of players in the country year after year in any awards.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hoops was a jet from day one I reckon.

Getting Cheik back wouldn't be the worst idea. We still need to be developing more coaches though - we can't keep bringing up the same names every year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Former Wallabies and England attack coach Scott Wisemantel has emerged as a potential front-runner, according to multiple sources, who are unable to speak on the record due to the confidential nature of the matter.