• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Disagree FP, what we need is someone to turn the culture of this group around, that may be Cheika, he did that for the Tahs last time, yes he may be a short term solution but that has to happen first, then we can have the guy with the details. This is what Thorn did with the Reds, and while the results in Kiss' first year might be a bit mixed, they are stratospheric compared with the Tahs at the moment. Doesn't have to be Cheika, but it must be someone who can bring about a genuine culture change.
The problem with Cheika's last visit to the Tahs was it was followed by Gibson, and very quickly all gains were lost, and Penney's ability is now clearly on show.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Disagree FP, what we need is someone to turn the culture of this group around, that may be Cheika, he did that for the Tahs last time, yes he may be a short term solution but that has to happen first, then we can have the guy with the details. This is what Thorn did with the Reds, and while the results in Kiss' first year might be a bit mixed, they are stratospheric compared with the Tahs at the moment. Doesn't have to be Cheika, but it must be someone who can bring about a genuine culture change.
The problem with Cheika's last visit to the Tahs was it was followed by Gibson, and very quickly all gains were lost, and Penney's ability is now clearly on show.
What we need is someone who can build a tight five. Culture may not be great either but that's probably just because we lose every match.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would prefer Thorn, we need someone to put a focus on discipline, hardness and workrate

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think we're in good shape for hookers and LHPs (if we can keep them on the paddock), but need a quality THP and a couple of genuine locks. Amotosero has a long way to go yet, Holloway is really a lock/six hybrid, and Sinclair and Lee-Warner are great squaddies, but really not starting Super rugby standard. With Hanigan and Swinton gone, we are also desperately short of a couple of big, strong backrowers.

Agent

Darby Loudon (17)
Someone might have better connections than me (mine are basic at best) but who is steering the ship currently for the Tahs in 2025. A couple of observations from a casual Tahs fan:

- We have no coach, and there seems to be very little noise about an appointment anytime soon.
- No coach means the likelihood of new recruits is next to none. Players want to know who they are playing for.
- We finished the regular season in last place. We are already rock bottom (or maybe we are not there yet!)
- We've had a shocking season with injuries. Infact we have a number of players that didn't even take the field the whole season.
- We have players leaving the Tahs left right and centre (Hanigan, Swinton, Harrison, Perese, Marky et al).
- We have 2 new signings which were announced months ago (Kellaway and Sual'l'íi) but nothing since.
- RA have folded up the Rebels camp chair and there seems to be a LOT of uncertainty surrounding where their players will end up.
- Unless something happens soon the Tahs will miss any opportunity they might have had to sign any Rebels talent and they will go elsewhere.
- Tupou, Talakai, Gibbon, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilkin, Lancaster etc. Carter Gordon has already left the building!
- There seems to be that much uncertainty in the Tahs camp at the moment and very little direction.
- Unless there is some action soon the Tahs and Australian rugby in general will be further up an already murky creek!

Just give us something Tahs management to make us think you are competent and at least trying to rebuild from the shite storm that has been 2024.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think that the Tahs are at rock bottom, not far off it, but not there. I think we're in a better place than the season before DC took over. But we've definitely lost ground which we had made up in the prior two years.
- The injuries really set the Tahs back - and severely tested depth (we have none)
- The cruelest blow was that string of close losses (<7 points) right at the start of the season. They just sucked all momentum out, despite beating the Crusaders twice.

I wouldn't be surprised that management will wait a little bit until after the Super Rugby season before making any big announcements. Really need to see which of the Rebels players will fit in the roster where we're lacking in player (front row for a start). I wonder how long is long enough before people will stop making bones about "picking at the carcass of the Rebels" when trying to recruit players.

EDIT: I acknowledge that the Rebels fans are extremely hurt, but it's not the Tahs fault. And saying they'd rather players go o/s or to gaol football than play for the Tahs is a little immature to me.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gilmore confirmed gone, headed to Harlequins:
1000019409.png

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Gilmore confirmed gone, headed to Harlequins:
View attachment 19339

I think he needed to go overseas (to Europe) to get a more rounded experience and build his reputation. If he can prove himself there then in 2-3 years time the stink of 2024 will be gone and he would be a good candidate for head coach in Australia, preferably at the Tahs. And if he's not successful OS then we can choose someone else. If Cheika is chosen the timing would be close to perfect, as Cheika would be excellent for 2-3 years but then needs to move on.

Cauliflower Ear

Stan Wickham (3)
This is a good thing for all. He gets his teeth into something new and the Tahs move on.

When I first saw the post I worried it was a HC announcement.
Agreed. A major opportunity for Gilmore to go the Harlequins and get better as a coach, on the other hand, the Tahs need to do a top to bottom clear out if they want to see any improvements. (feel like I would've thought the same thing after the penny firing and we might have gotten worse :oops:)

Sidenote: Praying for Cheika

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed. A major opportunity for Gilmore to go the Harlequins and get better as a coach, on the other hand, the Tahs need to do a top to bottom clear out if they want to see any improvements. (feel like I would've thought the same thing after the penny firing and we might have gotten worse :oops:)

Sidenote: Praying for Cheika
But did we really do a top to bottom clean out after Penney?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
No Chris Whitaker's been there for years... Needs to go too.
I don't even know what he does tbf. Get the feeling he's on some Alfie Langer deal of here's a job, but I'd like to see him move on also.

I'm at a point of indifference right now and just want to see a change from anyone who's currently in the building and I'll get behind them.

My personal picks would be Peter Hewat or Damien Hill but I like the idea of a Chieka hard reset but I do worry about 2-3 years down the track when it's worn off.

NSW need a stable GM as badly as a coach. We have the strongest youth coming through by a long way looking at results over the past 4-5 years and we need to pick the 1-2 from each year that will move onto being effective professionals. We don't have the capacity to hold everyone and pay everyone so we need to pick the right ones much like Brumbies do so well.