• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
Incorrect
He has scored 2 tries in a team which has scored the highest points in the competition, misses 2-3 tackles per game and that doesn’t include the misses where he comes flying in leaving the winger to defend 3 players
He received a call up once latrel was not available, turbo / best / graham injured, Wighton pulled out! Look at his stats he has some of the worst in the nrl at centre
Now I know ur trolling Mitchell has been garbage

snoopycatchicken

Stan Wickham (3)
How do players decide to stay if they don’t know who the coach is? Tah management had all year since it was pretty obvious Coleman had lost the dressing room and all reports of him being a ‘great bloke’ hide the fact he was out of his depth at Super Rugby level. Injuries or no injuries. His game plan was terrible. Cheika for mine is the only bloke with some clout and good coaching experience who can change the poor team culture there and attract some players. Why is it taking so long to announce a coach?
Probably because the Tahs want Chieka but Chieka's first preference is an NRL head coach role. So if the Tahs really want him, they need to wait.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Jamie Panadaran, so take it for what it's worth, but I thought this was an interesting article on NSW rugby and the struggles

View attachment 19239
Jamie is actually a rugby fan. I know him well. His job isn't to promote rugby. It's to write about rugby, good, bad and otherwise. This is an interesting story. The late Wayne Smith was as critical of rugby as anybody, but was an outstanding journo. The 'news hates rugby' narrative is so skewed on here

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
Is it just me or does that article say literally nothing.

Edit: perhaps harsh. Places like Portugal are doing nothing the Italians weren't doing pre-entry into the pro12 and are somewhat still doing in the leagues below. Schoolboy pathways are chock a block with leaguies. There's more money in playing NSW Cup or QLD cup than in Shite Shield or Hospitals Cup.
I think the author's point was that the incentives to choose league or play overseas are becoming substantially greater by the minute.

The lobsters always knew they were in a pot, but now the they're starting to wonder why the water has gone from being pleasant to uncomfortably warm.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nevermind guys, I figured out what the point of the article yesterday was:

Edit: Not unlocked but blazers wanting Super money to clubs.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A national club competition would be the worst thing for rugby in this country. Why would a player turn up for Two Blues, West Harbour, Southern Districts, or any club in Brisbane other than Brothers or University? The pyramid would become so steep it'd be more like a column. A comprehensive competition below Super Rugby a la the ARC/NRC is the ONLY way to go. Those two competitions failed largely because the comfortable leather patch brigade at the successful clubs in Sydney were quite happy to be big fishes in a small pond; a national club competition would be a sure fire way of cementing their intransigence.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A national club competition would be the worst thing for rugby in this country. Why would a player turn up for Two Blues, West Harbour, Southern Districts, or any club in Brisbane other than Brothers or University? The pyramid would become so steep it'd be more like a column. A comprehensive competition below Super Rugby a la the ARC/NRC is the ONLY way to go. Those two competitions failed largely because the comfortable leather patch brigade at the successful clubs in Sydney were quite happy to be big fishes in a small pond; a national club competition would be a sure fire way of cementing their intransigence.
I agree that the NRC/ARC would be the better route forward. But I just don't see the current RA suits going for anything other than a club comp. But perhaps somewhat of a rationalisation at the club level could work even if that does mean there are winners and losers.

If it was set up as a proper competition featuring 10 to 12 teams based that looks to filter talent up then it wouldn't be completely terrible. Yes, talent will move toward those teams but that happens in many sports. It would give us SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) backed by a 10-12 team national comp which would be underwritten by the respective local competitions.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
You don’t watch much rugby league
The bloke is a liability in attack and defence
He lets in multiple tries a game coming in like he did last night any getting caught flat footed
And in attack does not fend or step and has no pace! He does not seem to break tackles and score tries and no passing game
Agree he runs hard but it’s like he is a middle forward only
The most overhyped person I have seen
Nrl getting Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) who was wallabies best last year for $500k or Sua'ali'i who is coming for $1.5ml
Yeah I know who will get their value
What an absolute load of dribble.
Yeah a guy with only 1 year before he leaves NRL, which is the toughest and most skilful provincial comp union or league, and they still pick him.
I can’t wait for the likes of you to feast on humble pie. He is going to eat them next year.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Haven't we all suffered enough?

Kevin Foote is an upgrade over all the recent coaches the Waratahs have had and most likely upgrade over the coaches the Waratahs will consider.

If not Kevin Foote how about giving Tim Sampson or Nick Stiles a go? 2 candidates with super rugby coaching experience under their belt

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
Kevin Foote is an upgrade over all the recent coaches the Waratahs have had and most likely upgrade over the coaches the Waratahs will consider.

If not Kevin Foote how about giving Tim Sampson or Nick Stiles a go? 2 candidates with super rugby coaching experience under their belt
No, no and no

No more experiment coaches, no more let’s give them a go at a higher level coaches, no more he has been a great assistant coach

We have had a decade of failure doing this

We need an experienced head coach with a winning record.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
No, no and no

No more experiment coaches, no more let’s give them a go at a higher level coaches, no more he has been a great assistant coach

We have had a decade of failure doing this

We need an experienced head coach with a winning record.

Ok who is that then?

there’s no pathways for coaches in this country - time to look abroad otherwise you’ll be left with someone from club rugby ranks like Stephen Hoiles

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
What do these better coaching pathways look like? I mean you work your way up to be a successful shute shield coach and then you become an assistant or head coach of a super team, where else does this pathway go as an aussie based coaching pathway? There is no other tier?

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Another option could be Daniel Halangahu who has been at the Blues assisting for a number of years and is head coach of North Harbour in the NPC and has obvious Tahs connections.

However - he'd be more of a backup option I'd think. I agree a more experienced head coach is needed for the Tahs.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Another option could be Daniel Halangahu who has been at the Blues assisting for a number of years and is head coach of North Harbour in the NPC and has obvious Tahs connections.

However - he'd be more of a backup option I'd think. I agree a more experienced head coach is needed for the Tahs.
I don't mind that idea. He's better qualified than Hoiles for the head gig. Ideally 2 years under Cheika and then take over, but if he was put straight in charge I wouldn't complain.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still think we need someone prepared to coach and build a structure, not short term results (so no Cheika)

I want someone focused on defence and set piece

Reactions: dru