• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
We need something like this:
Screenshot-20240620-123022-Instagram.jpg

But before we need a head coach lol

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Do they even have a short list, have they commenced recruitment? What’s the time frame on a new coach?

Missing out on good players due to uncertainty over the organisation.

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Would be an absolute coup to get Wisey as headbcoach, Cheika as GM/DoR. Hope those roumers are true.

+ Tupou / Leota / Talataina / Maiva and a starting quality lock thanks.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Supposedly the applications for the DoR closed earlier this week, with Nick Stiles, Simon Raiwalui and Nick Ryan from Syd Uni considered strong candidates (per Doran in the Roar). No HC until the DoR is appointed. Grey supposed to be off to Japan after the U20s, per Doran and Payten. Chris Whitaker wants to stay...not sure about that. If they did appoint Wisemantel, he surely wouldn't need a second attack coach in Whitaker.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree that it's hard to see how you could appoint him after the fiasco which was the collapse of the Rebels, where he as the GM would have been very close to most things that contributed to the franchises outcome. Not to mention that I'd imagine that he will be tied up in any of the legal proceedings that may occur against the RA.

I'd much prefer Ryan, Cheika, Friend and one of the other names that have been floated. Who ever gets the GM/DoR role, I just want someone who has a multi-year vision with a focus on strong player identification, development and management. The Waratahs track record in this area has been beyond poor with things like the Foley and Mason transition, the number of players who seem to end up in other systems and flourish, and where we find ourselves right now with time ticking in terms of locking down a squad that provides us with any hope of a bounce back in 2025.

I'm getting a little tired of the trust us we'll be better this time, it's a reboot, it's a rebuild, we're young...etc..etc.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
For reference, this is the bones of the NSW Origin side based on the Wallabies squad including the injured players. Spot the Tah.

1 A Bell WAR
2 D Porecki WAR
3 A Ala'alatoa BRU
4 N Frost BRU
5 L Salakaia-Loto REB
6 T Hooper BRU
7 L Gleeson WAR
8 C Cale BRU
9 N White FOR
10 B Donaldon FOR
11 D Pietsch WAR
12 K Beale FOR
13 A Kellaway REB
14 M Jorgensen WAR
15 T Wright BRU

16 B Pollard BRU
17 B Schoupp BRU
18 H Johnson-Holmes WAR
19 J Williams FOR
21 J Gordon WAR
23 D Lancaster REB

Reds Rick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Genuine question, what’s the objection to Stiles? On the face of it he’d managed to build a pretty decent squad down there. I would have thought the Rebels financial issues come at CEO/Board level if that’s the issue. Am I missing something?

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
need someone who the press will take notice of as well. Cheika would get the game the papers again.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Dan McKellar has suddenly become available:

Cheika being looked at to replace him at Leicester so he may be off the table. That said McKellar at the tahs would be a vastly superior option for both the tahs and Australia rugby than Cheika anyway.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm always fascinated by the Cheika denigration from so many posters on here. Is it because he was an outwardly emotional person? Or is it just because he was that most evil of evils, a New South Welshman?
While I think Dan McKellar would be a reasonable appointment, how is a guy who took the Brumbies to a Super semi-final, and then was sacked by Leicester Tigers less than twelve months into his term, vastly superior to a coach who took Leinster from relegation to European Cup champions, took the Tahs to their only ever Super rugby win, took the Wallabies to a World Cup final, and took Argentina to consecutive wins over the Wallabies and an away win over the AB's?
Yes, there is no denying the Wallabies declined during the latter part of his tenure, but he still had the same win/loss record as the sainted Ewen McKenzie (who of course was undermined by those wicked Tahs), and superior to thos who followed him.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well, crack on and get yourselves a DoR, Tahs, there's a couple of good candidates on the market now...