• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't mind this at all. It's the safe pair of hands style the Reds did with Kiss.

In regards to Holloway. It's a blow for the squad but we need to start moving in the direction of what is good for the game as a whole. This wouldn't happen if Schmidt really wanted you. Same goes for Petaia whatever he's going to do.

They should be planning through to 2027. For Jed, if he's not in the big plans then this is probably his last chance for a decent contract of 2 or more years so good luck to him. If he sees out his Tahs deal he is then looking for a job as a 33 year old which doesn't lend itself to a longer deal.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper was no longer wanted by the Brumbies as they had signed Pocock. Probably goes some way to explain the fact that so many Brumbies fans didn't rate Hooper, despite him being consistently ranked in the top couple of players in the country year after year in any awards.

Hooper signed with the Tahs months before Pocock signed on with the Brumbies...

He left because Jake White was initially looking for a bigger body at 7.

Brumbies' fans rated Hooper very highly - he had an enormous year in 2012 that fast tracked him into the Wallabies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
He was still battling the argument from some that he was too small at that stage. Talent was there but still a perceived risk about how effective he'd be.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's also reasonable to think that Cheika has improved over the last five years.
Hooper signed with the Tahs months before Pocock signed on with the Brumbies...

He left because Jake White was initially looking for a bigger body at 7.

Brumbies' fans rated Hooper very highly - he had an enormous year in 2012 that fast tracked him into the Wallabies.

I think it was always going to happen irrespective of Pocock and I don't think there was a lot of recruitment required to get him to the Waratahs.

He went to the Brumbies out of school because the Tahs had Phil Waugh. Hooper played one more year at the Brumbies after Waugh retired (2012 for which I believe he was already contracted) and then came straight to the Tahs in 2013.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Completely understanding of Jed's position (being left out, two young kids and an American wife) but it is a shame that other decisions were made on the understanding he was signed. Swinton or Hanigan might have been offered a little more (enough to get them to stay).

snoopycatchicken

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't mind this at all. It's the safe pair of hands style the Reds did with Kiss.

In regards to Holloway. It's a blow for the squad but we need to start moving in the direction of what is good for the game as a whole. This wouldn't happen if Schmidt really wanted you. Same goes for Petaia whatever he's going to do.

They should be planning through to 2027. For Jed, if he's not in the big plans then this is probably his last chance for a decent contract of 2 or more years so good luck to him. If he sees out his Tahs deal he is then looking for a job as a 33 year old which doesn't lend itself to a longer deal.
How is it a safe pair of hands? He has barely any head coach experience

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Compared to some of the names which have been floated that are realistic I trust him over a Hoiles, Gilmore and Grey. If some of the others are like Raiwalui are actually options I'd rather them but I don't know if they would take the job currently.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I really don't see how Hoiles can be considered as the HC, it just seems to be history repeating itself with the DC appointment i.e. a inexperienced HC not supported by experienced AC's.

You'd hope Scott would get the gig and they bring Hoiles in as an AC and still let him do the Randwick gig to allow him to continue developing his HC skills.

Chieka I think would be a good consultant for RA to tap in nationally and let him go and support other clubs both at the Super and Club land. Seems like it'd be a complete waste of rugby IP not to have him passing that on to the masses.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think he’d be ok in a support role, he’s clearly looking for a career in coaching, has ticked a few boxes at club level, and he’s a home grown Tah. Certainly wouldn’t want him to be HC yet though.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I really don't see how Hoiles can be considered as the HC, it just seems to be history repeating itself with the DC appointment i.e. a inexperienced HC not supported by experienced AC's.

You'd hope Scott would get the gig and they bring Hoiles in as an AC and still let him do the Randwick gig to allow him to continue developing his HC skills.

Chieka I think would be a good consultant for RA to tap in nationally and let him go and support other clubs both at the Super and Club land. Seems like it'd be a complete waste of rugby IP not to have him passing that on to the masses.
Agree. I find Hoiles name being floated around a little baffling when his experience seems on par or less than DC's at this stage.

True, from memory a stint at the Japan coach and maybe some junior teams, but he has been in and around a lot of systems from provinical to national systems so his depth and bredth of experiece is certainly better than some of the other options that have been put forward.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Hooper was no longer wanted by the Brumbies as they had signed Pocock. Probably goes some way to explain the fact that so many Brumbies fans didn't rate Hooper, despite him being consistently ranked in the top couple of players in the country year after year in any awards.
Hooper left before we signed Poey, and Hooper was a gun his whole career even after he left for the stinking Tahs.. I thought he was brilliant at the Brumbies never didn't rate him.