• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2023

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
So instead of playing what you call a "future wallaby number 10" at fly-half, we should just play him at full back for the season. Why would you not replace him with Edmed and keep donaldson at 15 ???
I don't know how fit is now and how is his current level. I'm talking about 3 years ago

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So instead of playing what you call a "future wallaby number 10" at fly-half, we should just play him at full back for the season. Why would you not replace him with Edmed and keep donaldson at 15 ???

Didn't Eddie refer to Donaldson as "that 10 playing 15"? A not so subtle dig. In the mean time Tom Lynagh is getting game time.

TBH, I'm not convinced that Donaldson has shown enough to challenge Edmed anyway and I'm surprised that Edmed doesn't have more support in NSW. I like them both and Donaldson may just need to bide his time.

Alex Ross (28)
Didn't Eddie refer to Donaldson as "that 10 playing 15"? A not so subtle dig. In the mean time Tom Lynagh is getting game time.

TBH, I'm not convinced that Donaldson has shown enough to challenge Edmed anyway and I'm surprised that Edmed doesn't have more support in NSW. I like them both and Donaldson may just need to bide his time.
Edmed isn’t really providing much though. The breaks he a Tahs are making are less down to creation from 10 and more of late just Foketi beating defenders.

perhaps not universally true for all breaks, but that is how it feels to me.

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)

Donaldson outplayed Edmed for Australia A last year and was selected for the Wallabies Spring Tour off the back of that form.

Hard for Donaldson to challenge Edmed when he’s playing out of position at 15.

Both good players but very different.
Edmed is solid and conservative and doesn’t take many risks. But solid doesn’t win you competitions.
Donaldson is an attacking 10 who threatens the line and creates opportunities. And he seems to get his backline flowing better.
Obviously Eddie likes what he sees from Donaldson.

With Beale unavailable, Coleman had no choice but to put Donaldson at 15 as Edmed doesn’t play 15.
When Harrison and Pietsch are available for selection, Coleman will probably have to choose between Edmed and Donaldson at 10.

And great to see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) get some ball against the Drua and get involved. When he goes looking for the ball, he’s world class.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Early season still and geez we would have killed for a bloke like this during some years in recent memory. I agree Donaldson is more of a creative but with how Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), Pietsch, Perese & Foketi were playing late last year I feel the 10s job is to facilitate these blokes in attack and kick well when required. Edmed has less games than Carter Gordon & Reesjan Pasitoa so I'm going to hold off on judgement

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It will be really interesting to see how Harrison goes when he gets back. I thought he was clearly our best 10 before injury, and improving all the time. He's a better attacking threat, stronger defender and better goal kicker than either of the other two.
A real headache for DC. Harrison was good, might well have the highest ceiling, but both Edmed and Donaldson have benefited from another year of experience compared to Harrison. Not sure we can assume he'll be a step up immediately upon his return.

I'm on Team Edmed - he just seems to keep the attack more direct and challenges the line, I feel Donaldson was a little too inclined to sit back, and his kicking was sometimes ineffective. But I'll leave that to the coaches, I'm happy with any of the three in the 10 jersey.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Edmed is he most solid
Donaldson? I don't know, I haven't seen him do enough
Harrison was really good at 10 in a shit team, lots of quality touches - but is unlikely to get a lot of game time without injuries

Reactions: dru

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
And great to see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) get some ball against the Drua and get involved. When he goes looking for the ball, he’s world class.
The first time I saw Marky was in a 2020 preseason trail game against Landers in Leichhardt Oval. He scored 3 tries that night if my memory serves me correctly. He was MOTM and I couldn't take a photo with him lol

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
How good has Tom Lambert been. The guy would have been looking at a year coming off the bench at best, possibly not even that with everyone fit. Bell gets injured, he's thrown in the deep end for his first Super Rugby start, and has been in the GAGR team of the week for the first two weeks!

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
How good has Tom Lambert been. The guy would have been looking at a year coming off the bench at best, possibly not even that with everyone fit. Bell gets injured, he's thrown in the deep end for his first Super Rugby start, and has been in the GAGR team of the week for the first two weeks!
I liked Lambert this weekend, good job being thrown in the deep end.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
He's been excellent. He's got a hell of a motor on him and he's not a 1 dimensional player. His scrummaging has been as good as his ball in hand.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I’m really concerned we’re going to lose Jack Bowen if he’s stuck as the 4th 10. I really think he could be the best.
I agree, but I think its a bit early to know. Bowen is still very green. He needs to be well managed by the coaching staff by applauding his good performances but constantly reminding him that he needs to mature his body and his 10 game before he'll be ready for a starting role. I doubt this issue will come to a head till 2025 season
Of course, a couple of knee injuries changes all that but right now he would be better off long term by maturing and learning.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think this season is an issue given Bowen is still under 20s.

Donaldson, Harrison and Bowen are all just contracted for 2023. Edmed is contracted until the end of 2024.

They are definitely going to have to consider long and hard who and what contracts they offer to the three off contract players as this season progresses. It would be surprising if they don't lose one of them but maybe it is possible to extend all three of them until at least 2025 and then Edmed potentially leaves after 2024.

Given he's only under 20s this season they should be able to re-sign Bowen pretty easily.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Donaldson outplayed Edmed for Australia A last year and was selected for the Wallabies Spring Tour off the back of that form.

Hard for Donaldson to challenge Edmed when he’s playing out of position at 15.

Both good players but very different.
Edmed is solid and conservative and doesn’t take many risks. But solid doesn’t win you competitions.
Donaldson is an attacking 10 who threatens the line and creates opportunities. And he seems to get his backline flowing better.
Obviously Eddie likes what he sees from Donaldson.

With Beale unavailable, Coleman had no choice but to put Donaldson at 15 as Edmed doesn’t play 15.
When Harrison and Pietsch are available for selection, Coleman will probably have to choose between Edmed and Donaldson at 10.

And great to see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) get some ball against the Drua and get involved. When he goes looking for the ball, he’s world class.
not sure I see it that way ... harrison and donaldson both can play 10 and 15, and there's been a bit of a shift in the 15 being alternate playmaker (as opposed to the centres). having a big 15 does have its advantages, and I'm not sure we've seen all of that yet from donaldson.

DC has the choice of all 3 at 10, but which pairing at 10 and 15 will be most effective? I'd like to see a harrison and donaldson combo, even though edmed delivered the goods last season.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The first time I saw Marky was in a 2020 preseason trail game against Landers in Leichhardt Oval. He scored 3 tries that night if my memory serves me correctly. He was MOTM and I couldn't take a photo with him lol

I was also there that night, M. Here's my take at the time:

Good night out for the first match of the year. A few thoughts:
  • Leichhardt's a daggy old suburban oval with poor access, crap facilities and few decent viewing points. However, as Sydney FC occasionally use it the playing surface was excellent.
  • Mark Nawaqanitawase performed extremely well in his debut. He's a former schoolboy athlete who may be better placed on the wing, but a very promising start at fullback.

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I was there that night also, M. Here's my take at the time:

• Leichhardt's a daggy old suburban oval with poor access, crap facilities and few decent viewing points. However, as Sydney FC occasionally use it the playing surface was excellent.
  • Mark Nawaqanitawase performed extremely well in his debut. He's a former schoolboy athlete who may be better placed on the wing, but a very promising start at fullback.
I think he has a great future.. good player that likes to get the ball in his hands. Will only get better. Wing is his best position imho.
Not sure I put Leichhardt Oval in the ‘few decent viewing spots’ category?
The crowds slowly built thru the season and I thought it had a great atmosphere and everyone had a great view. Access to get there not great though.
The new Alliance Stadium is great but it will be hard to fill.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I was there that night also, M. Here's my take at the time:

Yeah, the worst fast food ever, second only to Penrith stadium. Next time we should swap rugby jerseys. I almost bought a Balmain jersey but I couldn't find the seller after the game.
20230307-193307.jpg

20230307-193233.jpg

20230307-193244.jpg

20230307-193256.jpg

20230307-193327.jpg