• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2023

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Interesting thought that Max played for Uni in the Club National Championship game though. Both playing footy
Yes I believe he gave up rowing at the end of last season to focus on footy, I missed that memo. Still, I wouldn't have picked him as a Waratahs squaddie though, good on him.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes I believe he gave up rowing at the end of last season to focus on footy, I missed that memo. Still, I wouldn't have picked him as a Waratahs squaddie though, good on him.
Disappointing result on Friday night. Credit to the Rebels as they are playing some good rugby. Changes need to be made this week. I like Edmed as a player and think he is solid. However, he seems to lack that ability to spark the attack and break the opposition wide open. I would be putting Donaldson back there and depending on how Harrison played this week moving him to the bench. Who should play full back? Jorgenson is definitely a contender, but I would prefer to keep him on the wing at this stage of his career and perhaps move Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) to full back.

Swinton needs a rest and Gamble I think needs to start with Hooper on the bench. Harris moving to Blindside. I would start Hanigan from the bench to cover Lock, No 8 and blindside positions. Hollaway still a revelation this year and has done his chances no harm in maintaining the No 6 Wallaby jersey. His lineout skills, strength, and link play are sensational. Gleeson also a revelation, and challenging Samu for the wallaby bench spot or the outright bench spot if Samu starts at openside ahead of McReight, Gamble and Hooper. I have been a fan of Michael Hooper for a long time but for the world cup I am favoring a bigger openside flanker. The way the game is played now everyone needs to pilfer not just the openside flanker. I see more value in a bigger back row than what Hooper and McReight give.

Carter Gordon has been fantastic this year and I put him ahead of any of the other young fly halves tis year. I have been a fan of Donaldson and still am. Just unfortunate given the Kurtley situation otherwise Beale would be full back and Donaldson fly half. Bell is badly missed fpr the Waratahs and the wallabies will need both him and Taniela come world cup time.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
A few injuries from the Rebels game and a rest for Holloway this weekend:
The Waratahs will fly to Wellington on Wednesday missing three of their starting forwards from Melbourne. Scans will reveal the extent of a foot injury to Lachie Swinton, second rower Hugh Sinclair will miss up to eight weeks with a cracked shoulder blade and Jed Holloway will sit out the round four match under Wallabies resting protocols. Prop Archer Holz continues to battle a rib injury.
Losing Sinclair and Swinton at the same time as a Holloway is set to be rested is a big blow, tahs will be sweating on Hanigan's knee coming up ok.

Also looks like Harrison is out again for a little while longer:
A reprieve was around the corner, with Harrison on track to return this week before the luckless playmaker injured a toe in the Waratahs A team’s win over the Rebels A on Friday.

He was having scans on Sunday afternoon but was expected to miss between one and three weeks, forcing the Waratahs to abandon discussions over starting him at fullback.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what a bummer about Harrison. Can't take a trick.

Surely the Tahs could make a case that Jed gets rested in a few weeks time once Sinclair and Swinton are fit again?

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Jeez It's all looking a bit grim in Daceyville, forward pack is really struggling with injuries.
Who plays lock if Hanigan is out also, Harris and Seu?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
what a bummer about Harrison. Can't take a trick.

Surely the Tahs could make a case that Jed gets rested in a few weeks time once Sinclair and Swinton are fit again?
Yeah, I found that line about the rest odd, I didn't thnik they were supposed to be that tightly proscribed and it seems a week or two early for him have a required rest by games in a row.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jeez It's all looking a bit grim in Daceyville, forward pack is really struggling with injuries.
Who plays lock if Hanigan is out also, Harris and Seu?
I imagine they'll bring in Marolt or Von Appen, who are in the squad and have been playing for the development XV, to partner Seu, I couldn't tell you much about either of them though.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Curious, did Coleman bring in any in house medical teams when he joined or was it the same team from the past?

I was told that Bell's injury has been occurring for some time prior to last year and was made worse by the team not treating it properly, giving him constant injections rather than performing surgery in the first instance.

It sounds like the only option for Bell now is to fuse the joint as its clear the ligament won't hold especially given the RWC timeframe.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Curious, did Coleman bring in any in house medical teams when he joined or was it the same team from the past?

I was told that Bell's injury has been occurring for some time prior to last year and was made worse by the team not treating it properly, giving him constant injections rather than performing surgery in the first instance.

It sounds like the only option for Bell now is to fuse the joint as its clear the ligament won't hold especially given the RWC timeframe.
Most players are carrying some injury constantly, the best play at a level that you wouldn't know, they often don't even want to tell the medical staff (have a listen James Haskell's podcasts - he talks about needling himself in the changeroom toilets at Twickenham before a test so he could play)

But they all eventually breakdown

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Was a lot of S&C talk in pre-season that "bigger is better" and how much weight the forwards have put on. Not saying there is a correlation at this stage, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out through the season.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pre-season Tahs hype seems to have evaporated pretty quick.

I'd like to stick my hand up and take the blame. I attended both the first game at the Allianz and the match on the weekend at AAMI park and, of course, we lost both (winning the Drua match I did not attend).

With Hurricanes, Chiefs and Brumbies up next we could very well be 1/6. Hope they prove me wrong.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Holloway sitting out this match would be unfuckingbelievable. I think it would just show RA don't really care about Super Rugby.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Holloway sitting out this match would be unfuckingbelievable. I think it would just show Rugby Australia don't really care about Super Rugby.
To be clear the articles says "sit out the match under Wallaby resting protocols" not that RA have said he must sit out this match specifically, so it absoultely could be NSW decision here. Seems like a baffling one with the injuries, but Coleman did do something similar for the game in QLD last year, resting a few top line players when there were injuries in a game that looked like it was already going to be tough to win, rather than risking a more winnable game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I'd like to stick my hand up and take the blame. I attended both the first game at the Allianz and the match on the weekend at AAMI park and, of course, we lost both (winning the Drua match I did not attend).

With Hurricanes, Chiefs and Brumbies up next we could very well be 1/6. Hope they prove me wrong.
We are at our best pre-season

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

Who would be a coach…?

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Seu has been surprisingly good in his appearances off the bench in the last 2 games. Slot him straight in and maybe you are forced to debut Marolt of Von Appen. There have been Tah A games so they have some game time in the legs.

Shame for Harrison. By the time he'll be fit the season will be half way done. Donaldson, Foketi may be due a rest by then

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

Well if you don’t go to the games, we should win all 3!