• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah they must figure Edmed can play in the Centres if anything was to happen with Donaldson to cover 10.

Glad to see Gleeson at 8. Sinclair also came on last week and was very steady which is what we will need for the first 60 mins this week.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Abysmal planning at prop will be at the core of an average season for the Tahs. It's been the same story for a few years now. Awful prop stocks. Why is there zero planning? We see these Super rugby wannabees being cycled in and out, year after year. Other than Bell's recent entry to the scene (and more frequent exits), for about 5 years now there has literally not been a single prop where you could say yeah, that bloke is up to it.

You cannot compete in this comp with below-average prop stocks. Thus scrum is about the get slaughtered week after week. It is going to be really ugly.
We have two young test props and we bring in another aus 21s prop this week who gets his opportunity

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
After watch the Brumbies performance against a full strenght Blues side I'm more comfortable with our level. We were very competitive against them so we are not far away from the top teams in the competition

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Piestch onto the Bench? Would have got him starting straight away but it's hard with how Mark and Max have been playing. Harrison back puts the heat on Edmed now because I think they would like to see Donaldson at 10 at some stage and Harrison could be the squads best Fullback.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Piestch onto the Bench? Would have got him starting straight away but it's hard with how Mark and Max have been playing. Harrison back puts the heat on Edmed now because I think they would like to see Donaldson at 10 at some stage and Harrison could be the squads best Fullback.
I like Max but he's pretty skinny. Talented guy but still an 18 year old. Prefer him from the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs should be due back some stars this round (or next) with Walton, Hanigan, Piestch and Harrison. Any news on them?

From the team announcement:

Players unavailable for selection: Angus Bell – Toe (Season) Dylan Pietsch – Quad (Round 3) Harry Johnson-Holmes – Achilles (Round 3-4) Joey Walton – Back (Round 3) Ned Hanigan – Knee (Round 3-4) Tiaan Tauakipulu – Knee (Round 3) Will Harrison – Knee (Round 3)

Alex Ross (28)
Put Jorgenson at 15 (or Marky), Donaldson back at 10 where he needs to be and Edmed to the bench

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe. He will be the Tahs 15 long term I have little doubt but right now I think they will go with what they know. He's exceeded expectation so far so who knows...

Will be interesting to see how the bench fills out this week with some other options back. Dowling probably slips out of the match day 23 for Harrison if fit IMO. After a BP win, I don't expect changes without injury as sore as some of them might be. This is an away game the Tahs have to win and have a good opportunity. Rebels are playing with a harder edge this year. Bit of grit about the Burn boys

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'll be surprised if we make too many changes. Those players being available for selection this week is great but I doubt we will rush everyone back in.

I do think there's a strong chance we shift back to a 5:3 bench though. A big reason in my view why we were playing 6:2 is we just didn't have the backs available to make it overly worthwhile to have three of them on the bench. That certainly changes with Pietsch, Walton and Harrison all available. I think we could see two of the three above on the bench with the same backline starting.

Maybe Harris drops out of the 23 or do we see some rotation this week? Could be a good game to leave Hooper out altogether and start Gamble at 7.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'll be surprised if we make too many changes. Those players being available for selection this week is great but I doubt we will rush everyone back in.

I do think there's a strong chance we shift back to a 5:3 bench though. A big reason in my view why we were playing 6:2 is we just didn't have the backs available to make it overly worthwhile to have three of them on the bench. That certainly changes with Pietsch, Walton and Harrison all available. I think we could see two of the three above on the bench with the same backline starting.

Maybe Harris drops out of the 23 or do we see some rotation this week? Could be a good game to leave Hooper out altogether and start Gamble at 7.
I think Coleman had said he wanted to go hard on the first 4-5 rounds and suggested there wouldn't be any wallaby rest/rotation in that period, but obviously things can change and you would've thought this was an early game with more room for it than most. Still, I'd be a bit surprised to see any of the front line wallabies rested this weekend.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Bench:
Faulkner
Botha
Latu
Seu
Hanigan/Harris
Goddard
Harrison
Pietsch

If you went a 5/3 that is. I think the 6/2 serves the big body game plan better though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see Harris in the 23. I think the best backrow is Swinton/Hooper/Gleeson with Gamble off the bench.

Interesting will be Hanigan, I think he's a must in the 23 but not sure where. I don't think he's a better lock than Sinclair or Seu but maybe a better 6 than Swinton right now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I would put Swinton & Hooper on the bench, so start Harris & Gamble with Swinton & Hooper finishing

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Coleman had said he wanted to go hard on the first 4-5 rounds and suggested there wouldn't be any wallaby rest/rotation in that period, but obviously things can change and you would've thought this was an early game with more room for it than most. Still, I'd be a bit surprised to see any of the front line wallabies rested this weekend.

I certainly don't think Hooper needs a rest but I also think we lose very little having Gamble play 80.

It would be tactical more than anything in that we currently have all our backrowers healthy and are oversupplied in that space. If you know that Hooper has to sit out three complete games in the season it seems like a good plan to get one in now.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I certainly don't think Hooper needs a rest but I also think we lose very little having Gamble play 80.

It would be tactical more than anything in that we currently have all our backrowers healthy and are oversupplied in that space. If you know that Hooper has to sit out three complete games in the season it seems like a good plan to get one in now.
I agree it's the right time to do it, it's just that Coleman specifically said he was planning playing the full strength squad for the first 4 rounds to try and bank maximal ladder points when asked about resting, so it sounds like he's going for a different tactic. It would be a intersting change of direction to rest Hooper this early.